14 Dec 2014 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 85kgs,intermediate
Style: Surf, Freestyle
Weather: 10-30+ knots
Build Quality: 9.5/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: just your average joe

I've had my New Wave for over a month now and am very pleased. I rarely ride it with straps actually, come to think of it, I don't think've tried it with straps. The conditions I ride in are normal bay chop with the odd small - medium waves.

I find that the new wave is at home in the bay chop as it glides through the chop with minimal bounce due to its flex. It has a lot more flexibility than my other board and you can stand anywhere on it. However, in small waves I find you don't really feel the wave push you forward as some other board with more volume and you rely a little more on the kite, I tried to paddle on it and didn't fair too well.

The board construction is solid and I've done loads of strapless airs and landed a few hard one and the board has been fine, however you do see the scratches easier on the red paint than you would a normal board. Also from just general use some of the paint has chipped off, but this is minimal and could have been avoided if I was more careful. The reason I gave the construction in 9.5 is because when I got the board it had some glue on the deck and some brown glue stuff has seeped through onto the white parts of the deck (this may be some seaweed or something not sure).

I've tried the board with 3 fins, 2 fins and no fins, the board can be used as a skim board and works well but I don't have anything to compare it to. When I was riding it without fins I had no trouble going up wind or anything, it was extremely twitch though. The two fin setup makes the board feel looser and easier to flick around.

The board excels in high winds, I LOVE the recessed deck it makes easier to edge and also grab when you're in the air. My other board also did not have a flat deck and it made it harder in higher winds. I used to also swap to my twin tip when the winds were high so I could boost and keep having fun, now I'm perfectly fine on my 8m kite and board in 30+ knots doing the same (well trying) as I would on the tt.

The only things I dislike about the board is that it does not have much volume, it has a Gopro insert at the nose of the board, but I've got no idea how to use it (it looks like two plug close together for straps, but for a Gopro?). I might have gotten the 5'4" if I was to get it again as it's not the best in light winds and it would be easier to flick around and grab during tricks (but it's fine as it is now). I could also use my old board in light winds, so a 5'4" may have been a better choice.

At the end of the day if you're looking for a good high wind board to glide through bay chop this will be your board. The recessed deck is so good and love the new graphics. If you're like me and like to move your feet around there will be no more slipping off and doing the splits because of an un-waxed part of the deck. I've been out in 12 knots with a 15m kite and the board was fine, just had to tack more to get to where I wanted to go. I do love this board.

Dl33ta
TAS, 459 posts
14 Dec 2014 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review brohan, fair bit of rocker on it! Is that a concave deck?

Brohan
VIC, 507 posts
14 Dec 2014 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dl33ta said..
Thanks for the review brohan, fair bit of rocker on it! Is that a concave deck?

The deck is pretty flat maybe it's a bit concave but not much.

Lambie
VIC, 723 posts
29 Aug 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Its a sunken deck - its awesome to ride but without the volume it needs power to keep ticking along - on a wave with my weight (92KG) the 5'8" just doesn't have enough volume to surf without the kite - when im using a kite that is marginal for the conditions!!

When its light and Im flying a big kite I will go for SB with more floatation

That said they are a fun board !! I have a kipuna that ive snapped finally but fixed so while a bit heavier is still a goer - and have a Blue axis 5'8" that is in the wings to be jumped as was the Kipuna!!

Brohan
VIC, 507 posts
30 Aug 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

I kind of find it alright in the light wind and I'm around 88kgs. I did buy a nugget though so I use that. I also cracked the board right along the middle and had to send it back to get it replaced, I wasn't boosting big on it or anything...... Still love the board, it's good in the bay and fun to do strapless tricks.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Axis New wave 2014/15 5'8"" started by Brohan