Blade kites new wave kite. Have not seen one in the flesh yet but have been told the will be in AUS in the next two weeks. Photo looks good but we will wait till I have demoed before making comment.
Always liked the look of Blade Kites but alas there are none around my neck of the woods to look at. Kite looks good...but the name will affect sales....
I guess if you are female you would be happy to say " I ride a Skinny Boy " ...not sure many males would though...
they could make the blue bits pink and call it the beiber, then gf would be totally sure us bf's would be sure never ever to borrow this one
Yeah that name is just not the smartest...
Designed by Momi , right??? So I hope somebody can compare it to the Epic Surf also designed by Momi (and Dimitri).
Not the best name from far. This kite should be absolutely exceptional or very cheap (or both) before I get one.
There is no doubt the kite looks awesome, but the name......There were so many awesome names put forward in the " name our new surf kite " comp.... What were Blade thinking?
I just got the Skinny Boy 8m. Haven't had a chance to ride it as the wind has been puss but can't wait to use it. Here are some pictures I took of it.
Every kite brand wants a new wave Knut , best out there still BWS pro and RRD religion
Is that if you don't have an old fuel like Ben used to shred it
up with? It's a bit of an Unknown Road for sum..
Maybe they went with Skinny Boy to match their light wind kite the Fat Lady....I have to agree that it probably isnt the best marketing however heaps of people still bought those stupid looking north kites with ''super fantastic" and heaps of other strange things written on them like they were on acid when they designed them ?? So who knows....
Got to ride this kite yesterday. Conditions weren't that great so I will wait till its better to give a review.
Got to try an 8m kite in 18-23 gusty conditions with a few knee high waves.
I have had Cab drifters for the last 2 years,
Bag is the best bag I have seen from a kite brand, Pockets for bar and pump, Straps inside to hold kite in, extra strap to wrap kite after a session. This will not fall apart.
Things I liked,
1) feels good in the air, Turns really fast, Has good slackline control, Kite holds in the air really well when riding towards the kite OR Drift.
2) Construction is as good as I have seen with any other kite. Bridal attachments are super stiched ( Kite will self distruct befor they pull out) Kites has moulded protection, These will never wear out.
3) Bar pressure is light compared to Drifter, Took a while to get used too.
4) Bar and lines are good saftey works well ( test this on all new kites) Kite just rolled over and landed on leading edge. I was able to pull kite back reconcect chicken lopp and relaunch.
5) Colour is good, Looks great from a distance.
Things I did not like,
1) Kite has a two valve system, Inflate, deflate. This works but could do with an upgrade. Compared to the drifter its hard to pump up. Small valve, you can feel the resistance while pumping.
2) Front bridles seem a little long, This did not cause any issues while testing. It may just be me being paranoid.
3) Name is not the best, But its how it rides not what its called, It makes for a good laugh while paying out your mates.
Overall its a good wave kite. The kite is super stable and will suit a variety of riders. We had 2 peeps test the kite on the day. Other rider said it was very similar to there North Dice.
Would recomend giving this kite a ride if you get the chance.
Would I buy one? Yes, pricing is very good compared to other kites on the market.
i am quite interested in this kite. i am awaiting an injury to heal but lined up a demo myself once repaired.
What were your thoughts on the low end? ie if you said around 18 knots were you still getting around ok and holding ground?
Were you on a surfboard? could you get around with less on a higher volume board?
They offer on paper quite a wide wind range. be interesting to see how these go to the figures.