Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Blade Trigger

Created by HappyG > 9 months ago, 23 Oct 2015
HappyG
VIC, 259 posts
23 Oct 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hello Blade Trigger Users,

Quick question I have come from North Evo's & Rebels and would like a Freeride kite with more drift for a bit of wave action.

The reviews for the Blade Trigger and Fat Lady is quite good but would I would like to get some feedback about the build quality and wind range.

I am 90 kg and would be interested in 17mtr Fat Lady and 10 & 7 mtr Trigger.

I ride a Shinn Speedball W19 and a Axis Spud 5ft 6in and an old Jaime 136 (when its crankin)

There are no distributors or demos in Melbourne taking a punt is a bit of a risk.

Cheers

Al

TheGeneral
WA, 30 posts
25 Oct 2015 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

G'day Al

I've had an all-Blade quiver for the past two seasons: 2014 Triggers in 12, 9 and 7, 2012 Fat Lady. I tickle the scales at 76 kg, and I mostly ride a Shinn Dundee 131. A good season for me is 50-60 sessions. I have kited in surf, but I don't surf.

Build quality has been absolutely fine for everything I do; I haven't lost a second on the water due to any kite issues. No holes, rips, punctures or line breaks. I take good care of my kites (never left parked on the beach, never stowed sandy or wet, and I don't think I've ever tomahawked any of them). Once I dropped my 12m in a shore break; it copped a wave or two before someone grabbed it out for me. I checked it over, put it straight back up and went out again.

I use the UniBar for all four kites, so it gets used every session. It's rock-solid so far, although the Velcro on the clam cleat fell off last season, no big deal to stick some more on. Also, the centre ropes are a bit fuzzy from rubbing past the Velcro. Two thumbs up to the ceramic swivel, which is still super smooth in spite of all the salt and sand. Way better than my old Slingshot swivel which filled up with sand and became useless.

Wind range is pretty good. The pigtails have two knots, one for an optimal, powered setting and one for depower. Allowing for both of those; these are my general ranges:

12-16 knots:Fat Lady
16-24: 12m
20-30: 9m
30-?: 7m (I've had it out in mid-30s, and it felt like it had plenty more top end)

Obviously we're not the same weights, ride different boards and do different stuff, but yeah, for what it's worth.

If you're a North rider, I'd tee up a demo before buying Blade. I've spoken to a couple of North riders who tried Triggers and couldn't get used to them, even after a few sessions. Even if it means jumping on a plane to Sydney for the day; Alliance Gear is a Blade distributor here, and James is the man to talk to.

Whatever you go with, enjoy, and good winds.

HappyG
VIC, 259 posts
25 Oct 2015 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Thankyou General,

I will give Alliance a hoy

Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Blade Trigger" started by HappyG