Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cabrinha Custom 2015

Created by dave...... > 9 months ago, 13 Oct 2015
dave......
WA, 2119 posts
13 Oct 2015 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

If relevent, please fill in this template...(& remove this line)

Rider: Weight,Level old dude, started 2004, 85 kgs
Style: Freeriding, Surf mainly the last 2 years...., Freestyle. Still unhook a lot but no handlepasses, Love to kiteloop.
Weather: 13-17, 25 knots
Build Quality: 136 X41, not flashy, its a kiteboard, nice and light, flex is tight through the middle of the board and responsive when powered up, no spray whatsoever.
Satisfaction: ?/10
Disclosure: ( worked at a shop and have demoed hundereds of boards. Shinn, Nobile, Best, Slingshot, Sugarcube, North, Airush, Cabrinha. Havent demoed a new twintip in 2 years.

My Comments:
As Woodies is 8 mins away, could test in both choppy water and butter, both underpowered and lit. I like to ride shorter boards but went for the 136, the 139 would also be good for my size if you dont have WA wind. To cut the bs, point form.

1) Yes the 2015 Custom goes upwind. Very nicely,even in underpowered conditions, you transfer your weight forward, ride the edge and use the middle of the board in a lull, it continues to plane. In full on conditions, it rockets. Nice 35?mm fins, which keeps it skatey but bite at top speed.

2) Yes it still pops. It pops and loads. I think tona etc have built the dedicated wakestyle boards, this is a great way to start without the board being to dedicated.

3)It is really nice in choppy water.

I will ride it tomorrow fins off to see how the channels track.

JKimbler
317 posts
18 Oct 2015 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
1) Yes the 2015 Custom goes upwind. Very nicely,even in underpowered conditions, you transfer your weight forward, ride the edge and use the middle of the board in a lull, it continues to plane. In full on conditions, it rockets. Nice 35?mm fins, which keeps it skatey but bite at top speed.

Sorry for the small kine thread hi-jack, but do you have any tips for better upwind performance on a 2011 Custom 136? More back foot/front foot pressure? I'm a surfboard rider so not much twin tip experience. Got this board from a friend to try something new. Thanks!

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
18 Oct 2015 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JKimbler said...

Sorry for the small kine thread hi-jack, but do you have any tips for better upwind performance on a 2011 Custom 136? More back foot/front foot pressure? I'm a surfboard rider so not much twin tip experience. Got this board from a friend to try something new. Thanks!

Haha best way to get up wind on the old customs is to walk.

JKimbler
317 posts
19 Oct 2015 5:57AM
Thumbs Up

Glad it's not just me! Cool feeling though, feels like wakeboarding on a glassy lake, even in chop. I'll save it for the super windy days or Maui trips...

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
27 Oct 2015 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

at my weight 87kgs and at 5"11, I found the 136 a little too small and I like riding the smallest board possible.. Living 8mins away from Woodman's Point WA ,means you can really test a board in chop and butter.

The board is light and feels really small under your feet.Easy to edge and really comfortable in the chop.Pops nicely but the board was too small. Easy to do airstyle tricks on. Id recommend this board for 70-78kg rider. the 139 after 80 pies.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cabrinha Custom 2015" started by dave......