Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Cabrinha FX or Slingshot RPM???

Created by Daniel_MEL > 9 months ago, 1 Feb 2016
Daniel_MEL
VIC, 3 posts
1 Feb 2016 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my quiver and currently looking at two kite options: the Cabrinha FX and the Slingshot RPM.

I am progressing into unhooked tricks but still haven't started with the big handle pass manoeuvres. I mainly do all basic unhooked tricks and starting to land them blind + the basic handle pass tricks. I love megaloops and jumping high as well and I am looking for a kite that is good for unhooked tricks, boosts big and kiteloops.

After reading up on both kites I feel the FX would be better suited for me given the RPM has less booting power, but then again the RPM is better for unhooking... What to do???

I'd like your thoughts on the questions below. I ride boots and my riding style is 70% wakestyle and 30% freestyle:

- How much does the FX slack compared to the RPM?
- Would stepping into the big handle pass tricks be very hard on the FX?
- How is the RPM's boosting performance compared to the FX's?

Please include anything else I should think about when choosing between these two kite models.

Tks for the help.
Dan

Daniel_MEL
VIC, 3 posts
1 Feb 2016 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Any feedback welcome guys

Lukeyy
NSW, 107 posts
1 Feb 2016 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

id like to know as well

and a comparison with the ozone enduro

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
1 Feb 2016 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scanno said...
id like to know as well

and a comparison with the ozone enduro

I had a go on the enduro yesterday. Was blown away at how good it was for everything. Was really nice for freestyle when it was a bit lighter, when it's more powered the slack/ Bar pressure got a little too firm for passing the bar. Boosting was awsome and power delivery was nice and smooth. Definitely worth a look.

sci
WA, 762 posts
1 Feb 2016 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Neither - Vegas is solid for unhooking, looping and boosting. Demo one.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
1 Feb 2016 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

Switch legacy?

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
2 Feb 2016 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..
Switch legacy?

Switch seriously needs to start paying you. I don't think you have any place commenting on any threads regarding progressing into handlepasses.

As for the kites the guy actually asked about given I've actually flown them:

FX - lighter bar pressure, quicker turning, more C shape, less low end, more high end, better for wave riding (drifts a bit better as the kite is lighter)

RPM - heavier on the bar, more solid feeling (mostly to do with the bridle you'll have to test to know what I'm talking about), even though it has less slack I think it's the better kite for passes, better low end, sentinel bar is one of the better I've used

Look, both kites will work for high level handlepasses. I think you will be happy learning them on either. I personally think that the RPM will move less on you during the trick. The bridle makes the kite quick but only when you put a very deliberate motion into steering it. The bridle almost acts as a stabiliser, keeping it in one place until you want it to move. The FX is awesome but in my opinion it isn't capable of the level of tricks the RPM is. At your level though you'll be able to learn 313s, back mobes, etc on either without issues. The main thing is going to be testing both back to back to see which feels better to you. I'd go RPM but I like a firm feel on the bar. Maybe the FX will speak to you more. Both kites loop great (they're about equal in this sense, both are sensational for megaloops) and catch you nicely before you land.

Definitely check out the Enduro too I believe Benny Fink has a demo down in Melbourne so contact him for a go.

Daniel_MEL
VIC, 3 posts
2 Feb 2016 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

So just called Zu store to demo the RPM and there are no demo kites atm... One thing to point out though is that I feel that part of finding the right kite is also related with how well the local shop deals and acts with their customers. I found SHQ much more receptive and willing to help out.

Get that customer service in better shape Zu!

Lukeyy
NSW, 107 posts
2 Feb 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

So Elliot

FX, RPM or Enduro

RPM wins in your opinion

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
2 Feb 2016 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't had an unhooked session on the Enduro yet but I will have a go. For me the RPM beats the FX for handlepasses. The FX is better for the average guy that wants to mow the lawn, play in some waves, and boost with a super fast kite. By the looks of the Enduro it will be some stiff competition for the RPM.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
2 Feb 2016 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sci said...
Neither - Vegas is solid for unhooking, looping and boosting. Demo one.

I'm on the lookout for a new style of kite,
Never thought of the Vegas, but so far it'd be my standout from what I've trialed, quick , pivot ol, powerfull, great jumps and float with a bit of overhead movement, build quality will allow it to be flogged, which for me has been frustrating, when learning some new moves it's a sure thing your going to give your kite some grief, I'd put money on the Vegas and rpm taking more abuse than the fx, a c4 might also be worth a look, only Vegas downfall is relaunch, it require a bit of finesse,

UNcleHooked
NSW, 40 posts
2 Feb 2016 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

R P M.
Better low end.
More feedback
Boosts better
Long history of success

likuid
QLD, 330 posts
3 Feb 2016 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

RPM for sure/

Fast. Heaps of de-power.

It's the reason I started doing megaloops again. Fast enough to always catch me.

Great for passes. Not sure why you would want to go a c kite. Unless you landing double handle-passes the slack in the RPM is more than enough for the advance rider.

Plus Youri Zoon has jumped back on them for a reason..

www.facebook.com/Youri-Zoon-Kiteboarding-216173121730190

Sanjay
147 posts
19 Feb 2016 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
likuid said..

Plus Youri Zoon has jumped back on them for a reason..

www.facebook.com/Youri-Zoon-Kiteboarding-216173121730190

Yes, for money probably :-)

How does the new Naish Park HD fit in, in this discussion. anyone tried it in comparison to FX / RPM?

horey69
QLD, 495 posts
19 Feb 2016 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

The HD has an issue with wing tips getting caught in the briddle. Just saying

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
19 Feb 2016 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Great for passes. Not sure why you would want to go a c kite. Unless you landing double handle-passes the slack in the RPM is more than enough for the advance rider

I agree. The way hybrid kites are now, most don't really need a hard core c kite. Iv been on c kites for years but this season I'm going back to an open c. Keep that kite low and you can slack on all kites.

Sanjay
147 posts
19 Feb 2016 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said... Keep that kite low and you can slack on all kites.

What? Please explain?
Also on a Bandit?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Cabrinha FX or Slingshot RPM???" started by Daniel_MEL