Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Finless kiteboard recommendations??

Created by bramber > 9 months ago, 16 Feb 2016
bramber
VIC, 134 posts
16 Feb 2016 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

At my local spot it often gets very shallow at low tide, so am looking for a twintip that would be good to ride finless. I know these exist for wakestyle and hitting sliders etc but I would like a board that is also good for general freestyle/freeride but because its finless can grind over the shallows if need be. Any recommendations?

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
16 Feb 2016 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Just take the fins off your normal TT. It will work fine. You just have to be a but more precise with your edging technique.

If you just want to ride over shallows or sand, tilt your board up on the rail and ride on through. The board only sticks if the flat under surface of the board hits the sand.

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
17 Feb 2016 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Tona pop

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
17 Feb 2016 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Or try a skim board ....

bramber
VIC, 134 posts
17 Feb 2016 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips. Where i ride in the evenings the sun makes it hard to see shallows too until you are right on them... Hence the idea of going finless rather than riding the rail which takes a bit of timing. Done plenty of faceplanting and kiting onwards with the board left behind!

Is there any benefit to the grooves you get on some of the wakeboards in terms of replacing the performance of fins?

I was thinking a rail riding finless wakestyle board but with some "freeridability" would be ideal. ie grind over the sand without fins but still be forgiving enough to deal with chop, waves, etc. Is the tona pop ok with not ideal water conditions (ie chop rather than flat water) which i get 90% of the time?

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
17 Feb 2016 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

I think even without fins you're going to face plant. It's not the fins that catch on the sand, it's the bottom surface of the board.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
17 Feb 2016 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said..
I think even without fins you're going to face plant. It's not the fins that catch on the sand, it's the bottom surface of the board.

yeah fins are only an issue with rocks and corals and ****
its the surface area of the bottom deck on the sand that sticks ya like glue

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
17 Feb 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Kiting when you can't see the bottom even though it's only inches deep - what could go wrong!?

bramber
VIC, 134 posts
18 Feb 2016 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Merits of the conditions aside, can anyone recommend a kiteboard that is good to ride finless for general freeride/freestyle and not just park sliders?

Rads
WA, 110 posts
18 Feb 2016 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

go a wakestyle board.......they have tiny fins or can be ridden finless due to channels in most cases. Plus they just sick boards to ride.........

as mentioned above the tona pop has some of the smallest fins out there.......and goes great without fins cos it has deep channels. Tough as too if you think your going to hit stuff on the bottom

basically if you want a board that rides nice without fins......look for a board with channels........

Plummet
4862 posts
18 Feb 2016 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

A board that has channels will have more lateral grip that a channelless board. Also more concave more grip.

Look for those features in a board.

In the mean time ditch the fins on your current board and ride. Everyboard can ridden finless.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
18 Feb 2016 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

The DUB works well for free-ride

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
18 Feb 2016 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Finless grip in order, That Iv owned.

1. Naish dub (loads of grip, super slow)

2. Tona pop (all round awsome)

3. Best profanity (little less grip then Tona pop but still really good)

4. Tona flow. (Super fun board)

These are the only boards Iv used without fins. Would love to try a tranq tho!

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
18 Feb 2016 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

Try 20mm fins, l use these at our local (rosebud) still gives a little bit of bite when needed, and stops the full skate feel, but as said above its more about edging and the bottom of the board not sticking to the sand. The heel side front fin is not really any where near the sand and the heal side rear fin will drag thru sand

Jezkitesurf
TAS, 10 posts
7 Jul 2016 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Try "Lieuwe" The wild thing

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
7 Jul 2016 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jezkitesurf said..
Try "Lieuwe" The wild thing

or a board called "technique"

KiteDesigner
NSW, 169 posts
8 Jul 2016 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

The board of the future, no fins, the Bunnings Board.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
9 Jul 2016 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KiteDesigner said...
The board of the future, no fins, the Bunnings Board.

I've seen those board's around... The 1 I saw is
called Atonoffun 4 Faarkall

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
10 Jul 2016 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

Cool post it in general section

daveisthekotz
NSW, 111 posts
11 Jul 2016 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

Mate I have a cabrinha cbl for sale in the buy and sell section. I've ridden at the cable and busted the fins off really early in my ownership. Been riding finless on it for a year and a half.

TomW059
183 posts
14 Jul 2016 6:02AM
Thumbs Up

Louise Waiman rode a lunch tray.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Finless kiteboard recommendations??" started by bramber