Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

GTS3 vs Airush Union

Created by Wunderlich85 > 9 months ago, 1 Dec 2015
Wunderlich85
34 posts
1 Dec 2015 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone give a comparison of the Core GTS3 values the Airush Union.
I'm torn between the two kites. I have a quiver of XR4s and love them. Looove them but I am looking for a 9m for those big looping days. The XR4 gives me a heart attack when I loop it. Just a little slow. The GTS3 is amazing for looping but I just can't seem to get the heigh that I need and desire with the kite.
Can anyone tell me a little more about the Unions looping ability. So far all that I have read is that it's a badass kite.
I just want to make sure that it loops really well.
Also any notes on comparing the two kites would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
1 Dec 2015 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Not flown one , but from an observation the union looked very impressive, this was in strong winds, looked rock solid in flight, no flutter, no stall out of the turn, big jumping, and very pivotal loops, thought it was the vx till it landed on the beach, had me interested, apparently it's very light on feel , I prefer a bit of solid feeling at the bar,

Stewynew
32 posts
1 Dec 2015 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

I am still at the early looping days so bear with me.

I find it to loop very well, I would agree that it is a pivotal loop with a very consistent pull all through the loop. I can't compare to the GTS3 as I've not looped those. Having flown the GTS3 before though, I mush prefer the Union and now have a 12, 9 & 7m :) The Union in my opinion is a far more round kite. I would call the GTS3 a Golf GTi and call the Union a BMW M3. Both are great fun, it's just the Union feels better alround.

Wunderlich85
34 posts
1 Dec 2015 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. Im really in a toss up here between the two.

Wunderlich85
34 posts
2 Dec 2015 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

I might also throw the Ozone Enduro in the mix here.

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
2 Dec 2015 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Can tell you the airush loops amazingly, a great great kite. take a look and grab a demo if you can can also add the canopy is bullet proof

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
2 Dec 2015 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wunderlich85 said...

How can you throw a kite that's not released in the mix,

Wunderlich85
34 posts
3 Dec 2015 2:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
Wunderlich85 said...

How can you throw a kite that's not released in the mix,

They are demoing them here.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
3 Dec 2015 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Where's here,
Crap house marketing from ozone then
Been checking everyday on their site
Says coming very soon
Bit too early though to get excited about this or that brand till it's had some solid time under it's belt

B00STN
WA, 9 posts
3 Dec 2015 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

the union... lets just say if you want to go big, this is your weapon of choice. i rode the razor last year but a knee injury is not letting me do wake style every day this year so i opted for the union. something i can cruse around in gusty wind and ride comfortably to then boost with wicked hang time or if my knee is feeling good throw some wake style in the mix (only a lil till my knee says no). then when the wind cranks up 30+ knots it looping ability is 10/10. its a steady pull with a nice loop.

Wunderlich85
34 posts
4 Dec 2015 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
Where's here,
Crap house marketing from ozone then
Been checking everyday on their site
Says coming very soon
Bit too early though to get excited about this or that brand till it's had some solid time under it's belt

Cauncy, I live in Miami. Ozone has been running demos here. Cant buy yet, just taste it.

Wunderlich85
34 posts
4 Dec 2015 12:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
B00STN said..
the union... lets just say if you want to go big, this is your weapon of choice. i rode the razor last year but a knee injury is not letting me do wake style every day this year so i opted for the union. something i can cruse around in gusty wind and ride comfortably to then boost with wicked hang time or if my knee is feeling good throw some wake style in the mix (only a lil till my knee says no). then when the wind cranks up 30+ knots it looping ability is 10/10. its a steady pull with a nice loop.

B00STN, thanks for the review. Do you have any experience on the GTS3?

Wunderlich85
34 posts
4 Dec 2015 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
B00STN said..

Also what size Unions do you have? Im looking at the 9m for looping 25 knots+ What do you think?

B00STN
WA, 9 posts
5 Dec 2015 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

no sorry

B00STN
WA, 9 posts
5 Dec 2015 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wunderlich85 said..

B00STN said..

Also what size Unions do you have? Im looking at the 9m for looping 25 knots+ What do you think?

i was using my 8m in 30knots but i really wanted to try my 10m by the end of my session but ran out of time. will let you know how the 10m loops when the next good 30knots comes.

B00STN
WA, 9 posts
5 Dec 2015 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Wunderlich85 said..

B00STN said..

B00STN, thanks for the review. Do you have any experience on the GTS3?

no sorry

Wunderlich85
34 posts
7 Dec 2015 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
B00STN said..

Wunderlich85 said..

B00STN said..

i was using my 8m in 30knots but i really wanted to try my 10m by the end of my session but ran out of time. will let you know how the 10m loops when the next good 30knots comes.

Great! Thanks!. I just got the 9m. Now I'm debating if i should add a 12m

Lom
5 posts
7 Dec 2015 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

B00STN, can you compare Razor and Unión for wakestyle tricks?
Thank you.

B00STN
WA, 9 posts
9 Dec 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lom said...
B00STN, can you compare Razor and Unión for wakestyle tricks?
Thank you.

Hey depending what level of riding you are at and what type of riding you want to do. I was on the razor for the last 4 but a knee recon has forced my hand onto a more all round kite. (The union) for kite choice it depends what level you are riding at and what you want to do. If you want to boost/kite loops/free ride with abit of wave and wakestyle then the union is your kite. If you want nothing but wakestyle and kiteloops then the razor is the better choice. If you have just gotten into unhooking then go union but if you have a few tricks down (landing blind/ rapped and passes)and want to improve your trick list then go razor.

Hope this answered your questions.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
13 Dec 2015 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Own a GTS3 and flew the Union 9m the other day. Did not fly it long enough to shed light on all aspects or come up with a proper review. But what I would say is that indeed the Union's boosting ability and hang time is amazing. Compared to the GTS I'd say the GTS is more on the C kite end with all pros and cons this comes with. It develops its power by flying it aggressively but there is not much constant grunt/pull/power. It loops more like a C kite, so even when fish poling it will give accelerate you. It will give you good height but not amazing height, and average hang time. Pretty low bar pressure, adjustable. It is a light three strut kite hence the low end is not a "felt" grunt but what can be perceived as slightly GuTlesS is actually not weakness as it flies in pretty low wind and with a lot of sinussing I can be out pretty early. But it needs to be much more powered up to do something fun with it. At its highest end i.e. being very powered I don't find it too comfortable but this is a matter of preference as anything really (I am coming from a Vegas and probably due to 5 struts and 5 lines the kite keeps behaving perfectly even when at its higher end as long as not depowered too much. Any three strutter I find tends to move and slightly deform too much in strong wind. I might be wrong, but that is my feeling anyway.
GTS is very good unhooked, not just ok, but very capable and stable. Something I did not expect as it is very fast and responsive otherwise.
The Union has much more grunt, status pull, whatever the correct term is. When doing backroll transitions e.g. then without effort in mid powered range one will get a nice little and long lasting lift to have sufficient time to deicde to whether or not adding a loop e.g. With the GTS the airtime, unless forced by a strong pop, speed etc, is limited.
Now with regards to looping I prefer the GTS as it is more in line with e.g. the Vegas. I am not a mega looper hence fish pole mostly. With the Union I struggled as it just turned on a dime without any pull. As I said I did not have enought time on it, guess it would just need some adjustment in technique i.e. not pulling the bar in too much allowing the Union to fly through the loop a bit more.
Hope that helps, as usual all a matter of personal preference. But man, this Union boosted incredibly, something the GTS does not offer at that level.

Wunderlich85
34 posts
21 Dec 2015 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks RussKraut. I actually just got to fly them both back to back as well. I was surprised at the boost and hang time of this kite as well. The loop is pretty soft. Its always a trade off, i guess you cant have everything. I do have to say, i hate the Airush bar. Its what steered me towards the GTS3.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
21 Dec 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Agree. The Core bar and especially pull down automatic swivel is gold. While the Airush manual swivel is a pain as it is edgy and too small. So if you loop and rotate a lot the Core is a bless. I am riding suicide and the swivel gets a bit stuck every now and then (the double ring gets stuck where it sits in the chicken loop for some reason when fairly powered) it need to hit the ring hard to unstuck it. So far that did the job. Still less annoying than most of the manual swivels

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"GTS3 vs Airush Union" started by Wunderlich85