Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Gaastra Jekyl 12m 2012

Created by greav89 > 9 months ago, 8 Dec 2013
greav89
11 posts
8 Dec 2013 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got any experience or review of this kite? I am a complete beginner (just completed lessons) and am looking for my first bit of gear. Trying to keep costs down with my first kite and was offered this today for $700 new which seemed very good value. I gather Gaastra aren't a hugely popular brand but for a beginner would it be suitable? I had been offered a 2012 Cabrinha Vector a couple of weeks ago but this has since been sold. Any other options to consider? Thanks!

diamond2001
WA, 436 posts
9 Dec 2013 5:24AM
Thumbs Up

I would go with a Cabrinha switchblade mate .Nice and stable and slower turning which is what you want for learning.Switch blades are hard to front stall.I have owned a jekyll before and these kites are more for your intermediate to advanced riders.They are higher aspect kites meaning that the boost big and are harder to fly as they can have a tendancy to front stall in inexperienced hands.They are lightning quick in the turns and they dont have the depower range of most cabrinha models.I had a switch blade when I was learning and I liked the fact that it would sit a 2 0clock and then I could concentrate on edging and what was going on around me.Switch blades are powerfull pulling kite and sit in the power of the window alot so dont oversize if you get one.Hope that helps

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
18 Dec 2013 1:11AM
Thumbs Up

agree and disagree with diamond.
switchies are constant. The big switchies are about as exciting as beatrice potters latest novel for illiterate kids.
Gaastras are a lot quicker but they are super smooth and quite easy to get a handle on as they don't just take off and drag you to neverland like some switchies can do.
The bar on the Gstr is sick but i'm not sure if it has a coating on the depower line?
In any case I have a m8 who picked one up straight after lessons and was stoked. I learn't on one and still have it. Awesome kite. I've had 4 switchies, now I don't have any(cept a 6m that is for sale! lol).
Having said big SB's are as exciting as snail racing, they can boost big, so no big diff there and many would say bigger than the gaastra.
Transitioning on waves, sining, dodging other kiters, all easier and heaps more fun - vote one Gaastra.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Gaastra Jekyl 12m 2012" started by greav89