Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Genetrix Hydra V3 12m 2008.....Totally Awesome

Created by Windhogger > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2008
Windhogger
SA, 88 posts
7 Jan 2008 12:01AM
Thumbs Up

Just tested the top end wind range of the Hydra V3 12m at Outer Harbor, South Australia. The wind was 24-34knts and I was sh!**ing myself pumping up a 12m kite. I am 65kg and would normally use my 8m sonic. I self launched with a rope and caribina tied to a pipe, it worked OK but would rather have had an assisted launch. (mate was allready on the water on his V2 12m). I really thought I would overpowered, but found I was in full control and could handle the gusts easily in an arms length on the bar. I only had to use the depower strap, 50mm, near the end of the 3hr session cause I was getting stuffed. I was boosting the highest and longest jumps I have ever done, between 30-50 feet high, and so was my mate. I still can't believe how totally awesome the usable wind range is on these kites, considering I can stay up wind in 8-10knts with the same kite on a bigger board. Can't say I've seen any other kite achieve this, but I've been wrong before.

Cheers, Windhogger

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
9 Jan 2008 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Windhogger, I had the 14m v3 out at the speed strip at port parham and pulled 33 knots on the gps in 13 to 17 knots of wind. Plus the reverse water relaunch is fantastic, I also heard that other blokes are relaunching them off the water with the top side of the kite facing towards them .Personally I think the performance potential is endless with such a unique design. I hope you got your speed board ready for the weekend .
cheers

Windhogger
SA, 88 posts
9 Jan 2008 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Genetrix, Yeah the Hydra's just luv to go fast, and so easy to control the power. Yep, get the tide right and Port Parham speed strip goes off. Good GPS speed. Hope you didn't go into the 'prohibited area' or you might be dodging missiles
The Doc did one of those LE down, top facing him launches the other day, surprised him but he just let the bar out and straight up the window, bugger all pull, pretty sweet.
I'm hanging out to try the 9m in 30-40knts, now thats gonna be sick!!
Don't worry, the old ply board with the toey fins off will give you a run for your money, all I need is a GPS...

Genetrix
SA, 236 posts
10 Jan 2008 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hey windhogger, DP reckons Wallaroo goes off for speed and freestyle. He had the hydra flat out along the beach pulling more than 33 knots he reckons. I had the 14m hydra v3 powered up and pulling sweet airs with wicked hang off the swell in the bay at roo, we should head over and check it out . I have to say I have never been so in control and faster than I have since Ive been riding the Hydra and I cant wait to get the 9m in some sick wind aswell, Ill have the camera on when that day comes for sure.
cheers

Windhogger
SA, 88 posts
10 Jan 2008 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Genetrix, DP allways says Wallaroo goes off, I will have to check it out soon, but from what I hear DP is more interested in pulling the chicks on the beach with his punky pink Hydra
Yeah, pity your girl didn't have camera rolling at Outer Harbor instead of reading that cosmo mag, would've made some sick footage for the tube.
But seriously, on my 12m . I've shortened the front bridle lines that go to the struts which in affect moves the tow point back giving even more hang time with slightly less bar pressure, but still seems to retain the huge depower range. It's very easy to do, you might want to try it at your next big air session. Just remember to get that camera rolling!!

Cheers, the Windhogger

westozwind
WA, 1379 posts
11 Jan 2008 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Windhogger.
Just checked here
www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/sa_last30.asp
and here
www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/sa_last7.asp
and fail to see the 24-34 Knots you are claiming.
You might want to get a wind meter.
Kudos to you if this was the case, but most guys would not go out on that size kite in a true 30 knots +

Windhogger
SA, 88 posts
11 Jan 2008 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

westozwind, I have got a very good wind meter (well it cost heaps). Look I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ but the Outer Harbor (Black Pole) wind readings on the 6/1/08 from 2pm-5pm, (this is when we were out) showed 24knts gusting to 34knts. I and others comfimed the wind readings on the Sunday night. The historical seabreeze graph for the day and time in question does not appear to show wind gusts and the wind is usually stronger at Outer Harbor than Adelaide Airport.
All I know is it was bl@@dy windy and I would have been close to my limit on my sonic 8m. The 12m Hydra V3 handled it very well with good stabillity. It is an awesome kite

Cheers, Windhogger

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Genetrix Hydra V3 12m 2008.....Totally Awesome" started by Windhogger