Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

GoPro 3+ fogging

Created by JPU > 9 months ago, 24 Nov 2013
JPU
VIC, 3 posts
24 Nov 2013 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has been using the new gopro 3+? If so, has it improved in terms of how long it takes to fog up? It looks like the housing has less air space, which should improve this, but not clear if it runs cooler than before.

Thanks
John

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
24 Nov 2013 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

From what I've seen... if you have the magic combination of weather, case lotions and potions to not get fogging on the early models, you'll be ok. If you had fogging - you'll still have fogging.

Contour. Far better camera for line and helmet mounts for kiting.

JPU
VIC, 3 posts
24 Nov 2013 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

From what I've seen... if you have the magic combination of weather, case lotions and potions to not get fogging on the early models, you'll be ok. If you had fogging - you'll still have fogging.

Contour. Far better camera for line and helmet mounts for kiting.

Okay... not really the question I was asking, but thanks for your opinion.

Has anyone used the hero 3+? Does it run cooler than the 3 and does this affect the fogging.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
24 Nov 2013 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Yes. Yes, a little. No, with the above caveat.

Better?

arloj
WA, 237 posts
24 Nov 2013 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

yeah i use my gp3 a fair bit, go on ebay in get some fog inserts to stop the fogging. $10 for about 30 strips that fit nicely in your housing

markey
VIC, 75 posts
24 Nov 2013 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

blast cold air in to the open case from the the aircon in your car , works perfect

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
25 Nov 2013 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
markey said..

blast cold air in to the open case from the the aircon in your car , works perfect

Like I said - if it works for you, it works. I've tried all the methods and it's hit-or-miss. 100% successful solution for me? Contour.

Plummet
4862 posts
25 Nov 2013 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

I use moisture absorbing pellets. They seem to work. ps i'm using the old school gorpro.

Jim621
WA, 47 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

I read that cigarette papers (rolly papers) do the same thing as the go-pro anti fog strips...for far cheaper.

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
27 Nov 2013 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not having as much trouble as I did with previous models but it dose on occasion still happen. I believe it is weather dependant, I noticed the other day when I was Out for a SUP, I had the GoPro on the nose of the board facing back and every time I had the sun behind me and the camera facing the sun directly it would start to fog up. I'm assuming this was because of the extra heat the sun was creating. A quick dip in the water and it was back to its normal self.

Also looking a kiting vid's it does start to fog after excessive use facing the sun unless you dip it in the water every now and again. It's a shame as the GoPro really don't work well unless you are in bright sun light.

I read to day that putting your GoPro in the fridge with the case open for 5 mins and then sealing it up helps, less moisture in cold air, similar to the air conditions post above.

I also read that contour have gone out of business, so worth checking before anyone buys one especially for ongoing support and spares

jayo
NSW, 9 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

All the tips given work are good and will work to a degree. What many do not realise is much of the fog is caused more by the ambient moisture in the camera itself not what is in the case.

I have found over time the following 4 to 5 ways to fight this.

1) apply an antifog compound to the inside of the case lens (the best one I have found is an American product called "catcrap"). The helmet warehouse in Sydney sells it online.
2) store your camera inside a bag with the silica beads or rice to dry the internals out
3) as mentioned before you go out drop your case, open, in the freezer to get the ambient temp as low and the air as dry as possible.
4) use the fog strips or something similar in the case
5) turn the camera off as much as possible when you are not actively recording, via the wifi remote if you are using one. The camera lens creates the most heat in the unit thus the reason the fog only shows up there. So by leaving it on and recording long full sessions run a greater risk of fogging.

The hero 3 (not sure but i suspect the + is no different) handles fog much better than the hero two. There is only one reason this is the case, the flat square lens. In the hero two with the fisheye lens the fog always collects in the center (the hottest point) and works it's way out thus wrecking you footage very quickly. The square hero 3 lens does not do this as the fog usually forms in the corners and works it's way in. This in turn gives you much longer recording time even with some fog present before the shot is wrecked.

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jayo said..

...In the hero two with the fisheye lens the fog always collects in the center (the hottest point) and works it's way out ....

Errrm. How does condensation occur on the "hottest point"? Condensation is warm, moist air hitting a cold surface. The glass lens transfers heat faster than the plastic case so the glass lens gets colder quicker and condensation forms.

jayo
NSW, 9 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said..

jayo said..

...In the hero two with the fisheye lens the fog always collects in the center (the hottest point) and works it's way out ....

Errrm. How does condensation occur on the "hottest point"? Condensation is warm, moist air hitting a cold surface. The glass lens transfers heat faster than the plastic case so the glass lens gets colder quicker and condensation forms.

I have got no idea all I know is when the lens starts getting hot it always condenses on the hero 2 lens dead smack in the middle. Doesn't matter what mounting position or anything. I have had this happen in the snow, water, dry land all the same.
I am not sure but it may be something to do with the distance of the case lens to the camera lens itself as the are both curved??? Don't know just speaking from experience using both.

But the hero 3 square lens is the opposite when it fogs it starts in the corners and works its way in.

jayo
NSW, 9 posts
27 Nov 2013 10:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jayo said..

Gorgo said..

jayo said..

I have got no idea all I know is when the lens starts getting hot it always condenses on the hero 2 lens dead smack in the middle. Doesn't matter what mounting position or anything. I have had this happen in the snow, water, dry land all the same.
I am not sure but it may be something to do with the distance of the case lens to the camera lens itself as they are both curved??? Don't know just speaking from experience using both. Perhaps someone else has come across the reasoning.

However I do believe the your question about the "hottest point" can be described the same way as placing your warm hand (insert camera lens) on or in very close proximity to cooler glass (inside of the case lens) and having condensation left behind.

But the hero 3 square lens is the opposite when it fogs it starts in the corners and works its way in.

My bad hit quote instead of edit

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 Nov 2013 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jayo said..

All the tips given work are good and will work to a degree. What many do not realise is much of the fog is caused more by the ambient moisture in the camera itself not what is in the case.

I have found over time the following 4 to 5 ways to fight this.

1) apply an antifog compound to the inside of the case lens (the best one I have found is an American product called "catcrap"). The helmet warehouse in Sydney sells it online.
2) store your camera inside a bag with the silica beads or rice to dry the internals out
3) as mentioned before you go out drop your case, open, in the freezer to get the ambient temp as low and the air as dry as possible.
4) use the fog strips or something similar in the case
5) turn the camera off as much as possible when you are not actively recording, via the wifi remote if you are using one. The camera lens creates the most heat in the unit thus the reason the fog only shows up there. So by leaving it on and recording long full sessions run a greater risk of fogging.

The hero 3 (not sure but i suspect the + is no different) handles fog much better than the hero two. There is only one reason this is the case, the flat square lens. In the hero two with the fisheye lens the fog always collects in the center (the hottest point) and works it's way out thus wrecking you footage very quickly. The square hero 3 lens does not do this as the fog usually forms in the corners and works it's way in. This in turn gives you much longer recording time even with some fog present before the shot is wrecked.

IMHO it's retarded that we have to go through all that just to get a recording that's clear and watchable!!! Does the camera come with a separate case? It'll fog. Sooner or later...

... love my Roam2.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"GoPro 3+ fogging" started by JPU