Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Harness types for people with back problems

Created by hurdles > 9 months ago, 16 Jan 2014
hurdles
VIC, 13 posts
16 Jan 2014 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

So I have recently damaged a disk in my back resulting in time off the water whilst I undergo rehab and get my core strengthened.
I currently use a dakine waist harness and interested in hearing peoples experiences with a seat harness and whether these are better for people with back issues.
Cheers

redman666
QLD, 89 posts
16 Jan 2014 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

hey mate,

I started with a seat harness cause I have lower back problems, I found that it was good it didn't ride up my back n it didn't put to much strain on my back. seat harnesses cradled my lower back nicely n I think they work well, BUT there is a trade off, they give you a major wedgie. once I got the feel for the kite n doing water starts I changed to a waist harness n found that it was much better. also my back probs arnt as bad as yours. as for your back probs seats would be good to help you ease your back into it. also ask ur rehab/physio if a seat or waist harness would help or hinder you. hope this helps

Glug
WA, 106 posts
16 Jan 2014 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Yep get a seat harness

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
16 Jan 2014 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

I also have back problems, since switching to seat harness the pain is gone.ION seat harnes

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
16 Jan 2014 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Doesn't matter what harness you use it won't sort you herniated disk, it comes from compression, impact, or a weak core, A sup and good Pilates regime helps build your core strength, a herniated disc is relieved with opening the vertebrae a seat harness if you think about it compresses, I was in the high end forces and heavy impact landings, long distances with heavy kit and heavy lifting has left my lower back a mess, get yourself good then strengthen that core

HeavyInt
NSW, 36 posts
17 Jan 2014 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

I have some lower back problems also. Kiting 13 years now and still not sure what the solution is. I went to kitepower a few years ago and they sold me a dakine seat harness (cannot remember exact model) which has definitely helped. Also now I am riding Ozone Edge kites I find this reduces the impact on my back, more power equals less stress on the back, I find I lean into the harness more with these kites so means I can stay out 2-3 hours without getting any big problems. But agree with Cauncy, the only real fix is to fix the core (and not have any hard landings), impact kills backs, core strength exercises helps heaps.

omg
276 posts
16 Jan 2014 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

cauncy, so would you suggest waist harness after building the core?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
16 Jan 2014 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
omg said...
cauncy, so would you suggest waist harness after building the core?

Can only tell you from my own experience , if you've a strong core it doesn't matter what I wear, as the above post mentioned I also find a higher aspect kite helps me, nothing worse than a bad back , a good physiology will always advise against using back supports also as they make your core weak, this is something I'd always use as I thought it was helping, as I've now found it actually made it worse

harlie
QLD, 188 posts
17 Jan 2014 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HeavyInt said..
the only real fix is to fix the core (and not have any hard landings), impact kills backs, core strength exercises helps heaps.

Agree. I had a herniated disk in late 2012. You need time away (I didn't kite for 9 months), build and maintain core strength. I also dropped 15kg which helps.

My excercise plan is tough, maybe a bit too tough, I pulled a back mussel mid 2013, but the disks all held up.

BTW, I use a waist harness without issue.

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
17 Jan 2014 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

This helped me.

0llie
NSW, 165 posts
18 Jan 2014 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Dynobar v7 harness,

opens up your hips, great for toe side and walking up the beach, been using with my twin and sb now and will probably never go back to a "fixed harness"

I am still able to do massive jumps just a bit restricted on freestyle that's all

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Harness types for people with back problems" started by hurdles