Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

How Tough Are Cardboards????

Created by TheMedic > 9 months ago, 10 Apr 2007
TheMedic
WA, 153 posts
10 Apr 2007 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hearing alot of good things said about the Cardboards range. But i just want to know whether they are tough enough to withstand the impact of coming out of some pretty hard tricks. A mate rode the stiff flex one and said that if it was any softer, landing a kiteloop would just fold it in half. Any thoughts? Do they come with a warranty?

Edit Thanks for the info. 2 more things, I'm considering the normal flex, is it too flexy that it takes away your speed and pop. How are they pop- wise?
And, i've tried alot of boards with square tips and they seem to have alot of back spray, do these boards do that?

mrbonk
QLD, 481 posts
11 Apr 2007 8:06AM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by TheMediclanding a kiteloop would just fold it in half.

I managed to land (well, arrived at the water with the board under me at least....) some of my backroll kiteloop attempts so hard that I was sure I was going to be off to the hospital with a broken ankle/knee/leg, but the board took it fine. I'm pretty light though (~63kg), so if you're a Fat Bastard®, YMMV.

AFAIK, they do have a warranty, but you should check the site or contact them to make sure. www.cardboarding.com

11 Apr 2007 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Tough.
The worst thing you can do for this type of board is leave them in the back of a hot car.
Breakages are rare, warranty is excellent, although the warranty period is not stated on the website??
We has some footpads delam on a customers board, new ones were sent without question.
Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

mrbonk
QLD, 481 posts
11 Apr 2007 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by TheMedic2 more things, I'm considering the normal flex, is it too flexy that it takes away your speed and pop. How are they pop- wise?
And, i've tried alot of boards with square tips and they seem to have alot of back spray, do these boards do that?

Flex on mine is standard and is perfect for my weight. No problems with maintaining speed and pops just fine.

What do you mean by 'back spray'?

TheMedic
WA, 153 posts
11 Apr 2007 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Backspray. Where water sprays off the front corner of the board and spray's right in your face. Forcing you to cry like a girl due to the lack of vision, followed very closly to a near miss involving tangeling up with some newbies lines. You know... backspray. I've ridden the nobile 666 and it does it as does alot of square tip boards.

mrbonk
QLD, 481 posts
11 Apr 2007 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by TheMedic

Backspray. Where water sprays off the front corner of the board and spray's right in your face.

Mine only does that in really choppy stuff, but even then it's not that bad. I ride with sunnies on though. On flatter water I don't get spray in the face at all.

KAOS69
WA, 951 posts
11 Apr 2007 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

was surposed to be getting one sent over as a demo board 6 months ago but it never showed up , so i guess here in w.a we will never know how tuff they are .
the spray you talk of is most common on square tip boards a few mm of tip curve makes alot of difference and is more noticable when riding in the waves

insomniac_alcoholic
WA, 190 posts
11 Apr 2007 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Medic,

I've heard a lot of good things about them and everyone I've spoken to that has one have raved about them.

The only bad thing I've seen is a bloke chucked the board on the beach and the screws holding the fin in ripped through the deck.

Probably just misuse on the part of the rider and it was a 1 1/2 to 2 inch fin so it had a fair bit of leverage but I would have hoped the fin would snap before pulling through the deck.

Cheers.

carbine
WA, 1423 posts
12 Apr 2007 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

only cardboard i have ridden has a big crease in it.

1 out of 1 breaking isnt to good.

But maybe that was just bad luck.

rode pretty nice though

Saffer
VIC, 4379 posts
12 Apr 2007 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by insomniac_alcoholic

Hey Medic,

I've heard a lot of good things about them and everyone I've spoken to that has one have raved about them.

The only bad thing I've seen is a bloke chucked the board on the beach and the screws holding the fin in ripped through the deck.

Probably just misuse on the part of the rider and it was a 1 1/2 to 2 inch fin so it had a fair bit of leverage but I would have hoped the fin would snap before pulling through the deck.

Cheers.

I saw the fin pulled through as well, but it was on one of the older cardboard models. I believe the reinforcement is much better now.

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
12 Apr 2007 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

My cardboard is pretty tough, I would go as far to say tougher than most production boards out there. I ride mine up the sand, and along it, have landed jumps from the water onto the sand, taken it on kickers, grinded sailboats railings and logs, shoved it in my boot overpacked for long periods of time. Do kiteloops and wakestyle tricks and all thats really damaged is a few little scratches.

Very nice to ride aswell, smooth and no backspray.

TheMedic
WA, 153 posts
15 Apr 2007 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your feedback guys. Looks like i'm sold. Will be getting one soon. Just have to do the final tweaks to the picture i want put on the base of the board.
Thanks.

The Medic

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
19 Apr 2007 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

are there any demos available in Perth? im in market 4 a new board n i might concider giving a cardboard a go, i snapped my drive from doing too many unhooked kiteloops and fast stupid ****. so i hope they would be able to last longer than 4 months! otherwise its the jaime pro woop woop!

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
20 Apr 2007 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yep charles I can arrange a demo for you If you would like, I normally ride at woodies but sometimes ride at scabs this time of year...

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
21 Apr 2007 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

sweeet that would be great thanks. maybe tomorrow if there is wind or next weekend, its just hard for me to get to scarborough during the week without car and finishing school round 3. otherwise pinaroo works aswell. up to you though. contact number: 0420501140 cheers

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
23 Apr 2007 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

hey man nevermind on the demo for the cardboard. im definitly going for the jaime or the cesar pro, i am seeing if i can get it cheaper than my dad in england and i have 2 trade in my otherboard thats coming so yeah itl b easier working with a actual shop

TheMedic
WA, 153 posts
11 May 2007 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Any comparison between the cardboards and the crazy flys?
Trialling a crazy fly now and i freakin love it. 50mm fins but wide so i get a massive rooster tail as i ride. Mid range flex so it has pop but absorbs landings as well.
Anyone elses thoughts?

Later skater,
TM

ran
VIC, 333 posts
17 May 2007 10:06AM
Thumbs Up

wakestyled are strong, thicker than standard cardboard, i run small fins so have no issue in that area, but i know the fin area has been further reinforced to withstand the stress larger fins put on board. Hey why not piss off those keels anyway, small fins rock! lol just kidding..but seriously.

i smash mine into rocks, drag it up the beach and generally miss use it all the time and i have not problems. Sure i draw pretty pics for em so im biased, but hey i do not know of a broken board they have not replaced free of charge, can all other companies claim that?

atomic
WA, 94 posts
18 May 2007 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

the center of gravity (the best way i could say the bit that you feel your most riding with) is in a great position. you feel in control of the water not just your heading. only problem i personally found was they feel a bit slippery when you are edging against a big gust but that was most probably due to the small fins the owner had on the board. i wouldnt put bigger ones on though as slippery is fun.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"How Tough Are Cardboards????" started by TheMedic