sci
WA, 762 posts
10 Dec 2012 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Style: Wake, Freestyle
Build Quality:9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10

My Comments:

I have tried most of the big name brand leashes over the past few years.

I find the packaged leashes to lack in a number of departments and fail completely after only a couple of months useage.

Lets be clear though i am a wake style, handle pass and powered move rider and put my gear though the grinder with some big crashes, loops etc.

Some of the issues I encountered with packaged leash systems

- System releases to easily under little load or accidentally touching it. Resulting in chasing down kites and ruined sessions
- Leash wrap around wrists, biceps etc resulting in bruising and burning
- Hooks bending under load over time resulting in throwing leashes into the bin and adding to landfill
- Leash is to short for comfortable passing
- not designed for handle passing and riding hard

I could go on but you get the point.

I have been using the ION Kiteboarding Handle Pass / Safety Leash for about a month now and I believe it to be the best leash I have ever used hands down.

Finally some thought and quality for a leash system!

Why I like it?

- Adequate length for handle passing and comfortable
- Robust build no tearing or stretching (YET)
- Release force of 5KG at loads of up to 150KG
- Soft tube protection cover is reason enough to buy this leash as it eliminates leash wrap injurys and burn instead of strangling the arm without the padding
- Integrates with existing equipment
- Confidence - I am now comfortable with my leash which gives me piece of mind when going hard on the water.

If you are looking for a new leash then I strongly suggest ditching the packaged leashes and going for one of these.

If you are getting into handle passes then you should get the leash for the safety, length and cushioning elements.

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
10 Dec 2012 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Looks good. Its about time a decent lease came out.
Just one question.
Is the clip on the end large enough to go over a chicken loop, attach a 5th line and still slide over the chicken loop when the quick release is pulled? Or has it got the same clip as the North leash?

foorked
VIC, 152 posts
10 Dec 2012 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Where can I buy this?

sci
WA, 762 posts
10 Dec 2012 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey juice rider i will check the hook size and get back to you. I ride mine with Vegas so I attach it on the suicide or like my mate Dan Anderson above the chicken loop on the lines.

Troyrotor
QLD, 318 posts
11 Dec 2012 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

How does it feel when it rips under your armpit? That's the worst

salt
VIC, 616 posts
11 Dec 2012 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Ion is a North product, it is a north leash with different colours/ It looks like you can't ride suicide (fit metal hook over chicken loop and safety line) unless your on a North kite (or iron heart style system)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ion Padded Handle Pass Leash" started by sci