Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Looking for opinions on the new North Whip?

Created by Puetz > 9 months ago, 11 Nov 2014
Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
11 Nov 2014 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hey gang,

just wondering if any one has some opinions on the new North Whip boards? I understand its similar to the Firewire Vanguard but I was wondering how the Whip is going?

Thanks for sharing,

Robbie

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
11 Nov 2014 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

I demoed one in my search for a light wind surfboard, so the wind was pretty light (10-14 kts) when I tried it. It didn't fit any of the criteria for that purpose at all, not enough volume up front and too narrow. At 85kgs it sunk way too quickly for my liking not giving you enough time to drift out a lull. The demo board had a fair bit of heel compression going on but it could have had a fair bit of use, not sure.

Probably would have been a pretty lively board in the 17-30 kt range though.

piccio
25 posts
12 Nov 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

some heavy in weight and some heavy using it ,77 kg and 74 my friend .we are using also new and old proseries , that is why maybe feel whip "heavy.
anyway personally did not fall in love with it, but is yust a quick impression , I tried one time only cannot say much.
ciao

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
14 Nov 2014 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

... thanks!

Robbie

Damo
WA, 641 posts
14 Nov 2014 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..
Hey gang,

just wondering if any one has some opinions on the new North Whip boards? I understand its similar to the Firewire Vanguard but I was wondering how the Whip is going?

Thanks for sharing,

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

I have been having a blast on the whip! i'm not the biggest surfboard fan but i do enjoy getting out and playing around on one every now and again. I have found it to be lively and fun. Easy to get back up wind maybe with a smidgeon more front foot pressure than you would use on your traditional shaped surfboard. I did find that it had a narrow sweet spot for your back foot. so if you have you back foot a couple of inches to far forward then it made it hard to turn and felt like a pig until i moved my back foot just that 2 extra inches back and then it came alive.

Select to expand quote
Dl33ta said..
I demoed one in my search for a light wind surfboard, so the wind was pretty light (10-14 kts) when I tried it. It didn't fit any of the criteria for that purpose at all, not enough volume up front and too narrow. At 85kgs it sunk way too quickly for my liking not giving you enough time to drift out a lull. The demo board had a fair bit of heel compression going on but it could have had a fair bit of use, not sure.

D133ta what size did you demo? If you are looking for a light wind board you might be better off demoing exactly that a "light wind board" instead of a strapless freestyle wave board. Dedicated wave boards tend to have too much rocker and or the wrong outline for super early planing. Maybe try something like the nugget.

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
14 Nov 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Dl33ta said..

D133ta what size did you demo? If you are looking for a light wind board you might be better off demoing exactly that a "light wind board" instead of a strapless freestyle wave board. Dedicated wave boards tend to have too much rocker and or the wrong outline for super early planing. Maybe try something like the nugget.

Hey Damo, it was the 24 litre one. With you on trying out a light wind board. I went into the shop and asked to try the nugget but they were convinced that the whip was the business so I walked out with that instead lol. I'm trying to line up a go on the timbertek sweet potato, apparently made from organic based resins and renewable paloma, at least tries to tick some of the green boxes.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
15 Nov 2014 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dl33ta said...

Dl33ta said..

Hey Damo, it was the 24 litre one. With you on trying out a light wind board. I went into the shop and asked to try the nugget but they were convinced that the whip was the business so I walked out with that instead lol. I'm trying to line up a go on the timbertek sweet potato, apparently made from organic based resins and renewable paloma, at least tries to tick some of the green boxes.

If you can't get a demo on the FW, your welcome to try my 5'0 2013 Nugget, when Im back next. As far as I know it's pretty much the same as the SP. IMO it's one of the best light wind surfboards ever but for an all-rounder the Vangaurd handles bigger waves (I now have the 5'2). The VG doesn't quite have as good low end but has a way better top end.

I also plan on getting a FW TT Sweet Potato, once the Nugget dies.

@ Robbie, I know you already have a Nugget, a Whip should work well in your board quiver. The VG styled boards like to be ridden same as the Nugs - off the back foot.

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
15 Nov 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..
Dl33ta said...

Dl33ta said..

If you can't get a demo on the FW, your welcome to try my 5'0 2013 Nugget, when Im back next. As far as I know it's pretty much the same as the SP. IMO it's one of the best light wind surfboards ever but for an all-rounder the Vangaurd handles bigger waves (I now have the 5'2). The VG doesn't quite have as good low end but has a way better top end.

Haha fellow gear whore, how come you'll go to the SP next, just to see the difference? Cheers for the offer we'll have to do a light DW'er sometime.

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
15 Nov 2014 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure why North didn't come up with a different name for this board. There is no resemblance to previous Whips of the concept behind them...

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
15 Nov 2014 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

Dl33ta said...

Dl33ta said..

@ Robbie, I know you already have a Nugget, a Whip should work well in your board quiver. The VG styled boards like to be ridden same as the Nugs - off the back foot.

... yes I already have a Nugget 5'5" for light winds and love it but wanted something for the higher winds and maybe bigger waves too. I don't mind the idea of riding off the back foot, pretty easy for me being super heavy weight,,,,, in fact I'm pretty sure I need the extra width,,,,, Whip sounds good so far.

Does anyone know, is the 5'6" Whip too similar, size/performance wise, to the Nugget 5'5", or would the 5'4" suite better as a compliment, or even the 5'2"?

Thanks again!

Robbie

GSS
WA, 75 posts
15 Nov 2014 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

76kg on the small Whip. Feels really nice for me in normal windy conditions. Rode it once in 15kts still felt ok, good planing. I find the shape very forgiving for strapless wave riding, board pivots really well, carves hard or you can get it loose and doesn't catch the nose which some other boards with this shape can do. If anything - like Damo was indicating - sweet spot is way back with that blocky tail but also feels like the front foot pad should be brought back a few inches as well.

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
30 Nov 2014 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

I rode it quite a bit last week in Merimbula, its a really nice board for fun small waves, chop, strapless tricks or strapped moves.

its like a twin tip feel in many ways but with a nice directional ride, I felt inclined to start doing small tricks and pushing it around like skim, timi, small surfboard feel,

no good for larger waves

re the sinking, it is thin, but you absolutely must pick a board to your weight size. I think the Whip 2015 is a 'perfect fit' as if you get one too small or large it wont work. when you pick the correct one for your weight it works perfect.

my footage of Airton on his 360 is him on the 5'4" 24L whip

Daz

makntracks
NT, 132 posts
30 Nov 2014 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

6,2 Pro Series would be a nice fit , let me know when your home ill drop it over...

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
2 Dec 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
makntracks said..
6,2 Pro Series would be a nice fit , let me know when your home ill drop it over...

... you bet, will pm!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Looking for opinions on the new North Whip?" started by Puetz