Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Mystic 2face wave harness

Created by Surfer62 > 9 months ago, 29 Jul 2013
Surfer62
1357 posts
29 Jul 2013 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone tried the Mystic wave harness ?

http://www.mysticboarding.com/products/men/kite-harnesses/product.php?pid=2112

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
30 Jul 2013 10:42AM
Thumbs Up

I have been trying to get hold of one for a while now. I should have it in a couple of days and will post comments then.
Does look better than having a go-go gadget bar though

30 Jul 2013 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

None of the top wave riders seem to be using it? They all seem to either still use a standard harness worn a bit loose, a custom harness or they use some sort of sliding hook/shackle like the Jaybar concept. We have seen one in the flesh and cannot see how it would work well for a seasoned wave rider.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 Jul 2013 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Best used in a specific wave as they slide from hip to stomach , if your wanting to hit up left and rights it'll work great one way and only perform as good as a normal waist when you want to hit up a wave in an opposing direction,

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
30 Jul 2013 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

I would imagine none of them use it because it is new.
I don't know of any top riders using the Jay bar.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
30 Jul 2013 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

Best used in a specific wave as they slide from hip to stomach , if your wanting to hit up left and rights it'll work great one way and only perform as good as a normal waist when you want to hit up a wave in an opposing direction,

Nothing to do with lefts or rights. The harness only needs to twist when you are toeside. If your a natural it can slide left if your goofy you put the harness on the other way so it slides right.

Fozzie
WA, 1 posts
30 Jul 2013 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

The harness is asymmetric and really could only be beneficial if you are riding one direction only e.g. downwind at a point break, pointless if your riding at a beach break in onshore / side onshore conditions if you like to ride both upwind and down wind, actually if you tried to ride up wind against it - it would work against you no slide left on the bar and a big fat old side wall to restrict your movement - a dud in my view

30 Jul 2013 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

+1 for what Fozzie said ^^^

Heaps of top riders are using the Dynabar Prowave, there is no bar as such its a rope system, and there are also heaps who have made their own version, including Ian Alldredge, Patrick Rebstock, etc (who all use ENGINE harnesses).
You should contact us and stock them. There is nothing like it for fluidity and linking turns on waves.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
31 Jul 2013 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fozzie said..

The harness is asymmetric and really could only be beneficial if you are riding one direction only e.g. downwind at a point break, pointless if your riding at a beach break in onshore / side onshore conditions if you like to ride both upwind and down wind, actually if you tried to ride up wind against it - it would work against you no slide left on the bar and a big fat old side wall to restrict your movement - a dud in my view

I think you need to take a closer look at how it works. It has nothing to do with the direction you are riding and everything to do with your stance.
Welcome to the forum "Fozzie"

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
31 Jul 2013 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kitepower Australia said..

+1 for what Fozzie said ^^^

Heaps of top riders are using the Dynabar Prowave, there is no bar as such its a rope system, and there are also heaps who have made their own version, including Ian Alldredge, Patrick Rebstock, etc (who all use ENGINE harnesses).
You should contact us and stock them. There is nothing like it for fluidity and linking turns on waves.

I haven't seen Alldredge using it, please show.
I didn't actually see the original poster asking about it anyway. From what I saw he was asking about the Mystic harness before you hijacked the thread.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
31 Jul 2013 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Getting back to the Mystic, it looks like a pretty good idea to me, would love to try one before shelling out the cash though....

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
31 Jul 2013 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Saw this on the Internet last summer but none of the shops were stocking or had even seen one. Currently using a dynabar which only slides from stomach to my right hip when toeside so this would work fine with the Mystic as Briskite have suggested.

Love the Dynabar but keen to have a look at the Mystic as maybe a less clunky version. Yes I know I can set the Dynabar with a rope but I like the more solid feel of the bar.

I look forward to hear a review when available.

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
1 Aug 2013 8:04AM
Thumbs Up

I would try one before you buy. The trouble with having a complete spreader slide; (rather than just a hook in dynabar, or home made rope/shackle) is having it loose enough to slide, yet not having the bar roll and dig into your body or pose a danger to your ribs. It will depend on your body shape. Also think about the mechanics of having a rope from hip to hip with only a hook or shackle sliding compared to a longer spreader bar, moving 1 way. The spreader bar will offer only minimal movement. This may suit someone coming from a fixed harness, that does not want to go 'all the way'. I use the slide in my harness both ways when riding.... so not sure of the logic there. I don't even notice I wear a sliding harness any more; apart from the precaution when launching of having to hold your chicken loop from twisting out.

philip ellis
WA, 38 posts
12 Sep 2013 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

The Dynabar V7 is brilliant. Just started using and happy with either spectra line or steel bar although the spectra line is my preference.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Mystic 2face wave harness" started by Surfer62