Thumbs Up

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
2 Dec 2014 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Intermediate
Pies: 92 to 93
Not Affiliated and buy all my own gear.

I had my first go on the new 2015 model Zephyr 17 today in flat water conditions at Shearwater, Runaway Bay on the Goldy in slack tide (so non to negligible tide assist). Myself and a mate were out testing this back to back with the 2014 model Zephyr in "ONLY" 9 to 12 knot wind conditions on my 141 x 44.5 North Spike TT and he on his Crazy Fly Light Wind Pro model 148 x 45 TT. I was so impressed with it's performance that I rushed back to our local kite shop Surf FX and bought one. In my opinion I found It has far superior upwind performance and quite a bit more power delivery than 2014 model kite however not to take too much away from the 2014 model kite as it is still a very good kite and solid performer for what it is. I was able to boost the latest model one approx. 3 meters high (which is impressive for my weight in such light conditions) and it just wanted to hang in the air for ages, somewhere around for what felt like a good 15 seconds and 30 metres of travel. I know this does not sound much but for light wind it starts to make those conditions into a fun session instead of a mow the grass session. I'm sure in better winds this thing is going to boost huge. I was saying to my mate that one would want to calculate for increased downwind room for in those conditions. I was able to single and double back roll it as well with no troubles at all. My mate also tried it out the previous day in approx. 15 knot winds where I did not have that opportunity and he confirmed that it boosted amazingly (somewhere into Ozone Edge territory) and cut upwind way better than the 2014 model. More riding would need to be done in varying conditions for me to be able to comment to much further but we found that it appears the new kite has a bit more higher aspect and has a more flattened out arc than the 2014 model. We both felt that this is where the trade off comes that this years does not turn or pivot quite as fast as last years and feels like it is more sluggish in trying to loop it. But it is what it is and that is a light wind performer kite and with the improved upwind and boosting capabilities in such light conditions and the trade off for a bit slower turning speed which did not bother me to much was enough to convince me to upgrade. One thing of note though we did have to move the under the bar end float adjustments down to the lower knot closer to the bar to reduce back line slack for such light winds. I'm sure as the winds are up over 16+ knots then it would be a case for adjusting the knot setting up to the furthest away from the bar setting. This now leaves me with the dilemma of my 2014 model Zephyr (in very good condition, no repairs) to sell. If anyone is interested please PM me. What about you Sisco?

ste
WA, 499 posts
2 Dec 2014 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

I can honestly say, I find it hard to believe the new zeph would be that much different, the 2014 flys upwind and is an awesome moderate wind kite, from my experience these kites come to life around 13 /14 plus,under that and I would rather do something else!

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
2 Dec 2014 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

I've been flying my 14m rpm a lot lately, which is awesome from around 15knots.

In Melbourne there is a mid day patch of between 12 to 16 knots, a perfect smooth sea breeze, and I can't wait to bust out the mk3 zephyr.
Hopefully it arrives tomorrow, if so I will also have a review , however not sure with the forecast for next few days.

WeirdEd
VIC, 268 posts
3 Dec 2014 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2013 Zephyr and weigh ~90kg with gear. Low end is 12kts, comes alive at 14kts. I can push the lowend down with a light wind board but then you are just mowing the lawn.

If the new model has better low end but turns slower I suspect it's simply bigger. I love how 17m and 17m can be quite different, see the 17m Dyno vs. the 17m 2013 Zephyr. I'd love to see the 2013/14 Zephyr on top of the 2015 model.

ste
WA, 499 posts
3 Dec 2014 9:07AM
Thumbs Up

It would make baby zephyrs and eppo will be happy!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Dec 2014 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ste said..
It would make baby zephyrs and eppo will be happy!

More Edge in it...who wouldn't be...

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
3 Dec 2014 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LostinSpace said..

I had my first go on the new 2015 model Zephyr 17 today in flat water conditions at Shearwater, Runaway Bay on the Goldy in slack tide (so non to negligible tide assist). Myself and a mate were out testing this back to back with the 2014 model Zephyr in "ONLY" 9 to 12 knot wind conditions on my 141 x 44.5 North Spike TT and he on his Crazy Fly Light Wind Pro model 148 x 45 TT. I was so impressed with it's performance that I rushed back to our local kite shop Surf FX and bought one. In my opinion I found It has far superior upwind performance and quite a bit more power delivery than 2014 model kite however not to take too much away from the 2014 model kite as it is still a very good kite and solid performer for what it is. I was able to boost the latest model one approx. 3 meters high (which is impressive for my weight in such light conditions) and it just wanted to hang in the air for ages, somewhere around for what felt like a good 15 seconds and 30 metres of travel. I know this does not sound much but for light wind it starts to make those conditions into a fun session instead of a mow the grass session. I'm sure in better winds this thing is going to boost huge. I was saying to my mate that one would want to calculate for increased downwind room for in those conditions. I was able to single and double back roll it as well with no troubles at all. My mate also tried it out the previous day in approx. 15 knot winds where I did not have that opportunity and he confirmed that it boosted amazingly (somewhere into Ozone Edge territory) and cut upwind way better than the 2014 model. More riding would need to be done in varying conditions for me to be able to comment to much further but we found that it appears the new kite has a bit more higher aspect and has a more flattened out arc than the 2014 model. We both felt that this is where the trade off comes that this years does not turn or pivot quite as fast as last years and feels like it is more sluggish in trying to loop it. But it is what it is and that is a light wind performer kite and with the improved upwind and boosting capabilities in such light conditions and the trade off for a bit slower turning speed which did not bother me to much was enough to convince me to upgrade. One thing of note though we did have to move the under the bar end float adjustments down to the lower knot closer to the bar to reduce back line slack for such light winds. I'm sure as the winds are up over 16+ knots then it would be a case for adjusting the knot setting up to the furthest away from the bar setting. This now leaves me with the dilemma of my 2014 model Zephyr (in very good condition, no repairs) to sell. If anyone is interested please PM me. What about you Sisco?

sorry but i call bollox on it being that much better than the 2013 . There was no 2014 model btw :)

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
3 Dec 2014 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

I agree, i would love to see them laid on top of each other to give an idea of the differences in shape

fcalmon
QLD, 165 posts
3 Dec 2014 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LostinSpace said..

Lets talk my friend. Give me a call....

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said...
LostinSpace said..

sorry but i call bollox on it being that much better than the 2013 . There was no 2014 model btw :)

Its the man's review, why would he lie!! Don't just call bull**** on what you haven't tryed yet!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LostinSpace said...

Spoke to my retailer, who's rode them back to back, said the new graphics were nice , but didn't feel anything significant in performance , it sounds like the new cad program ozone use would of got passed down the line to manufacture seeing small positives,

winwil
VIC, 79 posts
6 Dec 2014 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

....ok I am intrigued, more boost, more upwind with little compromise on slower turning? The earlier model is already an awesome kite and a godsend for us heavy blokes. Let's hear from someone else who has actually tried the new one. I want the doubters to be proven wrong Lostinspace.

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
6 Dec 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
winwil said..
....ok I am intrigued, more boost, more upwind with little compromise on slower turning? The earlier model is already an awesome kite and a godsend for us heavy blokes. Let's hear from someone else who has actually tried the new one. I want the doubters to be proven wrong Lostinspace.

Yeh me to winwill

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Dec 2014 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

My one will be here on Tuesday I hope, if not heads will roll!

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
7 Dec 2014 9:21PM
Thumbs Up

Haters can keep on hating Had the new 2015 Zephyr out in 16 to 17kts winds today on my 138 Cab XCaliber Carbon Fibre and boosting it 10metres plus in flat water with tide assist going in the wrong direction. It was so predictable and stable doing boosts, landings and tricks that just made things so easy for me. As for being a bit slow turning speed, mmmmmeh! Did not bother me in the slightest. Might bother some one a bit more challenged in the guns department. I have found the new love of my life in this Kite and cannot wait to see what she will do in 18 to 20kts. I might need to have a couple of klm's of downwind flight path spare

I wonder now if they will allow Kiter and Kite marriage

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
7 Dec 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just to add to my previous, previous post as I am getting inundated by enquiries for my 2014 Zephyr, unfortunately for those it has now been sold to a fortunate new owner

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Dec 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LostinSpace said...
Haters can keep on hating Had the new 2015 Zephyr out in 16 to 17kts winds today on my 138 Cab XCaliber Carbon Fibre and boosting it 10metres plus in flat water with tide assist going in the wrong direction. It was so predictable and stable doing boosts, landings and tricks that just made things so easy for me. As for being a bit slow turning speed, mmmmmeh! Did not bother me in the slightest. Might bother some one a bit more challenged in the guns department. I have found the new love of my life in this Kite and cannot wait to see what she will do in 18 to 20kts. I might need to have a couple of klm's of downwind flight path spare

I wonder now if they will allow Kiter and Kite marriage

At 90 plus kg , and at 16/17 knts going over 35ft is bollocks the kite simply doesn't move quickly enough through the window to generate that height in those said winds and weight, you might be getting that distance plus , but not that height, I've had each zephyr and spend most of my time jumping, you definatly get some decent height and hangtime but please don't promise a kite will do this and that when punters are going to spend over a couple of grand, however if you have a photo with a keindl windtronic showing wind speed jumping 35ft I'll give you a carton of choice, keep it real

LostinSpace
QLD, 388 posts
8 Dec 2014 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Ok, I may have been been a little bit ambitious in my estimate but reflecting back and reassessing on how high I got on a few jumps today I would have easily been clearing the rooftop of pitched roof single story residence so I am going to call it at least 6 metre high jumps. Which totally blew me away on the ability of this kite. IMO I believe I can get this to equal or outjump any Edge at a comparable or smaller size without looping assist in under 20kts winds. Over 20kts might be an issue with me trying to hold this baby down but I am willing to give it a try

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
8 Dec 2014 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

35ft is roughly 10m... does not seem that unreasonable, especially as 17knts is going to be in the sweet spot of wind range.
Will know if bollocks or not after ive had a chance to fly in similar conditions.

Is the offer of carton open to anybody who can prove it?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Dec 2014 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
polykarb said...

35ft is roughly 10m... does not seem that unreasonable, especially as 17knts is going to be in the sweet spot of wind range.
Will know if bollocks or not after ive had a chance to fly in similar conditions.

Is the offer of carton open to anybody who can prove it?

If your 93kg then yes, and at 16/17 knts as wind increases distance increases, it you find a big kite tends to stop climbing as all that canopy catches the winds momentum, , I've rode my zephyrs regular over 20 knts, still safe and stable but gets heavy at the bar and on the legs, IMO you'd need everything just so to get consistent 10plus mtr jumps, it may feel it but you'll be averaging more toward the 6 mtr mark

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
8 Dec 2014 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

From what you guys are saying the Zephyr is really for what purpose: light wind, boost, edging, racing or visuals?
Like I am still confused about this kite.
It's not a light wind kite, because if you feel it's "sweet" in 17knots, then that makes my 12mt kites light wind kites. They can fly in under 15knots, and I weight 80kg.
So it's a kite for boosting then because of the bigger aspect ratio?
Or is it a kite for edging only up wind?
Or is it better for racing with boards above 141cm?
Or is it just a pretty looking thing in the sky?

When the Z came out everyone raved about it being a light wind kite. It's not. It doesn't even flutter in anything under 14knots!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
8 Dec 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..
From what you guys are saying the Zephyr is really for what purpose: light wind, boost, edging, racing or visuals?
It's not a light wind kite, because if you feel it's "sweet" in 17knots, then that makes my 12mt kites light wind kites. They can fly in under 15knots, and I weight 80kg.

When the Z came out everyone raved about it being a light wind kite. It's not. It doesn't even flutter in anything under 14knots!

Sweet Jesus Mother Mary, will you cease commenting on things you know **** all about, you are sending me nuts!

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
8 Dec 2014 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Loftywinds said..

Sweet Jesus Mother Mary, will you cease commenting on things you know **** all about, you are sending me nuts!

Hence why I ask [admin edit: "my esteemed collegue" ]

thefacts
51 posts
8 Dec 2014 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loftywinds said..

Care to qualify that statement? At 75kg and with the right board combination my bottom end on the Zephyr is 10 knots.

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
8 Dec 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Rider:- intermediate.
Pies:- 100+
Boards:- surfboard and Twintip.
Wind:- 12knots building to 16knots.
Affiliate:- Buy all my gear at the best price I can find, but also like to support my local kite shop.

Just got back in from first zephyr session.

Firstly I must retract 10m air possibility, as it's not going to happen. (When it's windy enough for big sent airs I will not be on this kite ).

Ok, so I've now flown, at first there was only a few hydrofoiler out on chronos, but I got out on my surfboard.

It's a really stable kite and straight away I felt comfortable.
Self launched well off the sand and never touched the water or stalled..

Once the wind cleaned up and hit the 14knot mark I grabbed my twintip, the kite is a little slow for doing sent boosts, but then again it's a 17m.

I found it looped too slow to catch me in transition tricks and I got spanked hard once and dragged while the kite looped underneath, prob about 5m height, slighty above the pier height. But I prob just needed to send it harder.
I landed on my side, I tried not to show the pinky slap pain.

Unhooked it was excellent, only doing railies and s-bends tho.

I felt like if the wind picked up anymore I would have wanted to change down to my 14m Rpm, but I did not touch the depower.

I guess the best part is it got me out on the water doing tricks at a lower wind speed, I would have been on my surfboard for the entire session without it.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
8 Dec 2014 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

imo its a leader of the lightwind bunch, but for those that want to progress with their tricks, as a mow the grass lightwing youd be better with the edges, I felt the 15 edge was on a par maybe slightly above in terms of getting out in lightwind, for me it was a 13 to 19knt kite, you can improve both ends depending on what board you ride and weight, gives you a huge amount of time for jumping and rotational transitions, with a very quick response in bar to kite reaction, not in turning more on off with power delivery, team it up with a mako or similar and youll exstend you time in pretty ordinary conditions

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
8 Dec 2014 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LostinSpace said..
IMO I believe I can get this to equal or outjump any Edge at a comparable or smaller size without looping assist in under 20kts winds.

11m Edge in 16-18knts.......

Bring it on Spacedude

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"New Ozone zephyr." started by polykarb