Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

New Underground Boards ...... Problems

Created by Dragonpig > 9 months ago, 29 Jun 2009
Dragonpig
NSW, 45 posts
29 Jun 2009 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

I must say the boards are super sweet but the straps are rubbish!..... Come on underground after all that hype these things just fall to pieces after 2 weeks of use. Are you guys going to do some sort of modification to them or give us some suggestions of how to fix them. Those 2 silly little pieces of velcro where the straps used to be just fall apart and all the stitching just comes out so you cant tighten the strap properly . Also the velcro on the side of the pad doesnt stick to the strap to im not sure why its there.
The handle is also a hunk of junk, i broke mine off after using it for 4 days. The metal in it could be mistaken for tin foil!
On the plus side the pads are great , a lot more comfortable than last years and i love the lip on the back to stop ure foot coming out.

Pls help or give an explanation ! I hate to b!tch but it really feels like these were never tested properly !

kyteryder
NSW, 692 posts
29 Jun 2009 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dragonpig,

Have you tried contacting them directly? What has their response been? Love to hear the outcome, as i was thinking on getting the new model.

KR

Dragonpig
NSW, 45 posts
29 Jun 2009 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Nope not yet. As i said the boards are fantastic and the 1st week was great until the straps started falling apart.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
29 Jun 2009 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

now i dont see why you would make a public bitch about a warranty issue without first trying to contact underground and resolving the issue... poor form if you ask me...

Perhaps you just got a weak batch of gear, every company has sh!t failing at some point, all you as customer do is go to where you purchased the gear to claim warranty or contact them direct for replacement repair or instruction.

Personally i think UG makes really good boards, if i was to ride fruit loop foot hooks again I would probably go the UG range over anything else.

Contact them direct or go to shop you purchased board from and get something sorted out instead of bitchin like a girl online

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
29 Jun 2009 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

Which boards do you have?

Hausey
NSW, 325 posts
29 Jun 2009 11:07PM
Thumbs Up

sounds like there is nothing wrong with the boards - but maybe just something wrong with the production of the straps?

Dragonpig
NSW, 45 posts
30 Jun 2009 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Charl , im not going to get into a little bit(h session with you .

Maybe i should have worded it better but if anybody else out there has any suggestions on how to fix the strap problem pls help.

Yup absolutely nothing wrong with the boards love them.

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
30 Jun 2009 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

Charl dv said...
all you as customer do is go to where you purchased the gear to claim warranty or contact them direct for replacement repair or instruction.

Contact them direct or go to shop you purchased board from and get something sorted out

Exactly. Send Adrian an email if your retailer isn't any help.
www.undergroundkiteboards.com/contact.html

Dragonpig
NSW, 45 posts
30 Jun 2009 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

cheers will do

COL
NSW, 513 posts
30 Jun 2009 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

Don't take it too hard Dragonpig. I'm sure potential buyers would want to be made aware of possible issues with a new product. The real issue is how well a genuine warrantee is treated by the dealer/company.
cheers COL

rusty7
QLD, 504 posts
30 Jun 2009 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

I suggest you contact them before the Bledislow cup starts.....i don't think Aussies are gonna very popular with the Kiwi's after the series this year

1 Jul 2009 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Please get in touch with your dealer, Underground are aweosme when it comes to warranty and product support.
The pads are super comfy, however the strap has issues if the wrong section is pulled hard, they have ripped off on a couple I heard?
I'm sure Underground are working fast ona fix and will replace anything that is a genuine warranty problem for sure.
The boards ride awesome, and the straps and pads are super comfy for me.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

Sickshesh
NSW, 3 posts
1 Jul 2009 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

im not a member but i had to sign up to say how useless Underground boards are. From NZ myself i see UG boards snapped monthly, and hear report after report of Adrian not giving out warranties from the riders that are snapping them. Pretty sad actually when they cost so much, though now they only cost $750 NZ probably cus of all the issues they keep having
have a look here:
www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kites-kitesurfing/Kitesurfing/auction-226630152.htm

You cant argue with that, come fly over to NZ yourself and ask anyone at the beach lol sooner or later people will realise how bad these boards are compared with the industry standard (though probably really good if your a learner, and btw i learnt on one and it was really good untill I started jumping)

Sickshesh
NSW, 3 posts
1 Jul 2009 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Charl dv said...

instead of bitchin like a girl online

haha this guy must be the man! he can be the representative for everyone in seabreeze.com.au

Matt Snowdon
NSW, 105 posts
1 Jul 2009 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Sickshesh said...

im not a member but i had to sign up to say how useless Underground boards are. From NZ myself i see UG boards snapped monthly, and hear report after report of Adrian not giving out warranties from the riders that are snapping them. Pretty sad actually when they cost so much, though now they only cost $750 NZ probably cus of all the issues they keep having
have a look here:
www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Kites-kitesurfing/Kitesurfing/auction-226630152.htm

You cant argue with that, come fly over to NZ yourself and ask anyone at the beach lol sooner or later people will realise how bad these boards are compared with the industry standard (though probably really good if your a learner, and btw i learnt on one and it was really good untill I started jumping)

I smell bull****. 2 posts slamming Underground boards, haha. Good one buddy
My Steeze has taken' a ****ing beating on sliders and kickers and is still as good as the day i bought it. Anyone who has ridden or rides Underground boards knows that they are sick boards. If you don't believe me then go take one for a ride. Any Underground dealer in Oz should have a coupla demo boards available.

airush geoff
974 posts
1 Jul 2009 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Mates of mine have had underground boards and after a couple of seasons had minor issues- warranty was dealt with quickly and was above what was required of them- somebody is slagging off a good company here, not right.

Dragonpig
NSW, 45 posts
1 Jul 2009 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

"I smell bull****. 2 posts slamming Underground boards, haha. Good one buddy"

Nope not me, as i said... love the boards and the pads just having issues with the straps..... Got a mail from Adrian so just need to take some pics of the straps and im sure it'll all be sorted.

Not 2 sure why so many ppl are so sensitive about somebody having a problem with the underground product. This is a discussion board not an advertising portal . Once this gets sorted i'll be sure to post up what was done and how it was done. Surely users on this forum stand to gain more from problems being solved rather than not talking about it at all?

FYI ive been riding underground boards for 2 years and am not about to change .

Matt Snowdon
NSW, 105 posts
2 Jul 2009 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

Not having a go at you at all mate. Its people like Sickshesh that need to mind their own business. He's probably never even ridden an Underground board.

I hear ya problem with the straps. I know a guy that went down to our local sail maker and got a coupla extra stitches sewn in on either side of his. Dont think the bloke even charged him for it.
Im sure Adrian will sort you out. If not get in touch with your local shop and they'll be able to help.

or you could start riding boots

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
2 Jul 2009 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Dragonpig said...

"I smell bull****. 2 posts slamming Underground boards, haha. Good one buddy"

Nope not me, as i said... love the boards and the pads just having issues with the straps..... Got a mail from Adrian so just need to take some pics of the straps and im sure it'll all be sorted.

Not 2 sure why so many ppl are so sensitive about somebody having a problem with the underground product. This is a discussion board not an advertising portal . Once this gets sorted i'll be sure to post up what was done and how it was done. Surely users on this forum stand to gain more from problems being solved rather than not talking about it at all?

FYI ive been riding underground boards for 2 years and am not about to change .

mate not havin a go at u personally, and the majority of the people on this thread was slammin that sicksesh bloke for just openin an account to slam UG..

IN NO WAY am i linked to UG, i ride all catapult stuff.. just thaught it was a bit silly how u came str8 onto this and complained about it without first going in to get your warranty issue sorted, because alot of the times there can be a small batch thats faulty due to a factory fk up that will be replaced asap free of charge etc.

i know one of the guys who ride for them over in auckland.. probably one of the more legit riders in NZ as the country is filled with a bunch of sky dancing dinlging fairies from what i remember when i lived there... and hes still riding his 07 board without any hassles on it..

but yer if the straps fallin apart they will help you out.

Berwick
6 posts
2 Jul 2009 4:33AM
Thumbs Up

Im from NZ and I can confirm that EVERY single board I have seen at the beach has ether snaped or come to bits and im not makeing it up. I love the way they ride but there is somthing very wrong with they way they are built.

Good luck trying to get a waranty of underground because every one iv spoken to have sead they just tell them to F off

Sickshesh
NSW, 3 posts
2 Jul 2009 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Matt Snowdon like I said I learnt on a UG board. And it was sweet untill I started jumping.

To the point, my bros living just down the road in brisbane at the moment and I am sure he is more then happy to talk to any of you guys on the phone and explain how easy it was for him to snap 3 of their boards and how much of a tard Adrian is.

We are both going to buy the new Lunacy from Briskites so we cant snap them.

But seriously you can ring him yourself! No more silly posting trying to prove your points in writing, give me a PM and ill send you his number :)

fellodawind
65 posts
2 Jul 2009 6:37AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like its troll day

Berwick, werent you the guy on kiteforum dissing underground a few weeks backs??

from what i remember you were complaining about a board not been replaced a 2nd time under warranty?? if so its poor form

You may want to take your brother Sickhesh (aka Berwick???) and harden up together!!

Berwick
6 posts
2 Jul 2009 6:47AM
Thumbs Up

No it wasn't me go back and read it

for some reason when ever anyone try's to have a talk about gear they see breaking down every one gives them crap and gets all in defence.

Im just saying what I see so whats the problim with that?

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
2 Jul 2009 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

I ride an 07 underground flx. Underground boards are very popular where I kite. My board handles everything I throw at it. I think it is bombproof. I love it and would have no hesitation in buying another underground board. I have never seen or heard of an underground board snapping locally.

Berwick for you to claim that "I can confirm that EVERY single board I have seen at the beach has ether snaped or come to bits and im not makeing it up" is the biggest load of BS. I don't know why you are going out of your way to discredit a great product, but anybody that reads your crap could see that yours claims are ridiculous

2 Jul 2009 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

bennie said...

I ride an 07 underground flx. Underground boards are very popular where I kite. My board handles everything I throw at it. I think it is bombproof. I love it and would have no hesitation in buying another underground board. I have never seen or heard of an underground board snapping locally.

Berwick for you to claim that "I can confirm that EVERY single board I have seen at the beach has ether snaped or come to bits and im not makeing it up" is the biggest load of BS. I don't know why you are going out of your way to discredit a great product, but anybody that reads your crap could see that yours claims are ridiculous

Have to agree with Bennie, Undergrounds are super popular at all of our store locations, and are widely regarded as one of the very best riding boards on the market made by poeple who kite, and who put their heart and soul into the products.
You must have a hidden agenda, what a silly claim anyway, "EVERY single board..." LOL's

Sure some boards in our areas have broken (maybe 15 out of 4-500 over the last several years), and in EVERY, single circumstance, even some quite suss ones, Underground/Adrian, has come to the party and sorted a new board for the customer.
The new straps are being modified now, and anyone with an issue with a strap will be sorted by their dealer quickly, as usual.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

fellodawind
65 posts
2 Jul 2009 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Berwick said...

No it wasn't me go back and read it

for some reason when ever anyone try's to have a talk about gear they see breaking down every one gives them crap and gets all in defence.

Im just saying what I see so whats the problim with that?

Hey Berwick

If i was wrong about you been the guy on kiteforum i apologise

What basis do you have for your claims that all the underground boards breaking down?? it seems a little exaggerated in my opinion

Also during these tough economic times companys do not need unjustified critizism

"Line 7" has just gone under.. would you like another kiwi company to join in?

Kurt Savage
QLD, 138 posts
2 Jul 2009 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Aren't they a Chinese company now but with a Kiwi face to market them?

I've owned 4 FLX boards over the years. Broken two, got replacements.
They were all nice to ride. Now they are Chinese made/owned I wonder if the quality will drop? Needless to say the price should! I know they land to the shops atr a pretty hot rate.

Discalaimer - I own, ride and represent cardboards now - solely.

Adrian Roper
92 posts
2 Jul 2009 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Kurt Savage said...

Aren't they a Chinese company now but with a Kiwi face to market them?

I've owned 4 FLX boards over the years. Broken two, got replacements.
They were all nice to ride. Now they are Chinese made/owned I wonder if the quality will drop? Needless to say the price should! I know they land to the shops atr a pretty hot rate.

Discalaimer - I own, ride and represent cardboards now - solely.

Hi Kurt,
Yes we have moved our factory to China. Quality is every bit as good as we have always had. Just so you know there are probably more Australians working in the factory in China than in your cardboard factory. Makes you think, guess this means you would like to support Underground now?
We are also building boards for many other companies now. Be careful you might be surprised who built your current favorite board.
Can't believe the rubbish written on here sometimes.....
Berwick what are you thinking?? We are very proud of our boards, hate it when you are slagging us just to promote whatever your boss sells.

Thanks Adrian

Kurt Savage
QLD, 138 posts
2 Jul 2009 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Adrian

So out of interest do you own the company still, or work for the new owners?

I guess what is important is that you have the final say on materials and construction being as good or better than the gear that came out of NZ. Still have fond memories of those hand made wavetrays. For instance are the fins still the nice glass type g10's and not the epoxy/polyester type? It's hard to tell from the pics.

I would support Underground if they supported me - makes you think doesn't it....

I still wouldn't feel right selling a board to someone at nearly 100% mark up though - but that's just me.

Adrian Roper
92 posts
2 Jul 2009 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Kurt Savage said...

Hi Adrian

So out of interest do you own the company still, or work for the new owners?

I guess what is important is that you have the final say on materials and construction being as good or better than the gear that came out of NZ. Still have fond memories of those hand made wavetrays. For instance are the fins still the nice glass type g10's and not the epoxy/polyester type? It's hard to tell from the pics.

I would support Underground if they supported me - makes you think doesn't it....

I still wouldn't feel right selling a board to someone at nearly 100% mark up though - but that's just me.

Hi Kurt,
The company is pretty much as it always was only quite a bit bigger. Aaron and Steve in NZ do most of the R&D and when the designs are finalised they are sent to China. I spend a lot of time in China making sure all is built as it should be. Frank Rosin in Germany is handling the northern hemisphere marketing. We have distribution centres in the US and Europe
The idea of supporting an Australian made product is crazy as most of the materials in a board are made overseas and the actual labour involved in building a TT is a relatively small part of the finished product. We use plastics from Austria. Inserts from Europe, wood from China, Resin from NZ etc. A lot of the costs end up in shipping stuff around the globe including back to the stores in Europe. The base in China makes perfect sense as it is totally our own venture, not just building the boards in a factory we have no control over.
Our fins are still all solid G10, painted to help with finding the board (also makes them look nicer). They are now all CNC cut in house. previous to this they were handshaped in China from the same factory the aussie cardboards have their fins made. Each one is the same and the foils are much nicer.
You are miles off with a 100% markup. There are no boards sold like this.
However Kiteboarding is a business like anything else and we aim to make a $ same as the shops etc. Very similar to any industry.
Kurt email me directly and maybe we can support you.
Thanks Adrian Roper adrian@undergroundkiteboards.com
Berwick feel free to email me as well so I can understand what your problem with Underground is. Promise not to shout at you ;)
Peace and love

Card
QLD, 77 posts
2 Jul 2009 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Adrian

We all know why any company moves their operation to ASIA, and it’s not for better quality.

Steve [Quote: Undergrounds are super popular at all of our store locations, and are widely regarded as one of the very best riding boards on the market made by poeple who kite] I highly doubt the cheap Chinese slaves workers would even know what they are making. it would be no more than a job to them. And the popularity in your shops wouldn't have anything to do with the huge margins you are so accustom to making from these boards, around twice that of ours! I would hope most people can read between the lines!

Cardboards is Australian owned and operated, we support as much local industry and product as possible, all our timber cores are grown and milled here in OZ, all our ABS plastic and fiberglass are made here in OZ, SUPPORTING LOCAL JOBS!

Rant over

Dan
Cardboards
made in Australia

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"New Underground Boards ...... Problems" started by Dragonpig