Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Dice kite with slingshot 4 line bar

Created by AidanT > 9 months ago, 17 Feb 2014
AidanT
WA, 12 posts
17 Feb 2014 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Howdy folks,

Just wondering has anyone ever tried this? I'm a bit bummed with the north bar and lines, for such a ridiculous price tag they are wearing fast...

I liked my slingshot 4 line bar with center swivel, is there any reason why I couldn't hook this onto the Dice using the 4 line setup? The lines are a bit shorter I think on the slingshot, what effect would this have? Also safety flags to a single line on the slingshot bar, I can't see an issue with this, think I prefer it to dual line flagging...

Anyone thought of trying this? Or see any issues?

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
18 Feb 2014 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

The Y in the line is higher on the North so flying characteristics may change, single flag will work fine.

Try it and see how it goes

shane75
QLD, 209 posts
18 Feb 2014 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

Try it.

toppleover
QLD, 1448 posts
18 Feb 2014 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Do it...

Plummet
4301 posts
18 Feb 2014 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

I flew a dice on an ozone bar and it flew fine. Dan at north stated on kiteforum that the kite is designed for dual line safety. Not single front line flag out.

There is a possibility it may not flag properly when the safety is punched!

If possible test the safety with your bar first and see if the kite flags properly.... let me know if it does! I'm keen to know.

SaltySinus
VIC, 958 posts
19 Feb 2014 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AidanT said..

Howdy folks,

Just wondering has anyone ever tried this? I'm a bit bummed with the north bar and lines, for such a ridiculous price tag they are wearing fast...

Agreed... I've a 2013 and 2014 bar and both look like I've been storing them in acid* where older Airush and Ozone bars have weathered much better.

FYI, just in case I sell either bar... I do NOT keep my bars in acid and they're both in 'as new' condition ;-)

eppo
WA, 6782 posts
19 Feb 2014 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

2014 bar still in perfect nick....lines...give me ozone anyday!

AidanT
WA, 12 posts
20 Feb 2014 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Will give it a go on the weekend and let you know...

Plummet: Why do you reckon there could be issues flagging to single line? Actually why do they use dual line safety? is the second meant to be a redundant safety in case the other has broke? so you wouldnt loose your kite

Cheers for feedback!!

Plummet
4301 posts
20 Feb 2014 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AidanT said..

Plummet: Why do you reckon there could be issues flagging to single line? Actually why do they use dual line safety? is the second meant to be a redundant safety in case the other has broke? so you wouldnt loose your kite

!!

That's what Dan at North said. It could be marketing hype to you to buy their bars?

Personally I think it will work. But needs some testing first before you commit to crazy conditions.

Kitesplosh
VIC, 123 posts
16 May 2014 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey AidanT -

Did you ever try flying the Dice on a slingshot bar? Any issues with the depower?

eppo
WA, 6782 posts
16 May 2014 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

I hope i can be of assistance here. Experimented a fair amount on a low Y single flag bar, the north quad and also an older five line north bar on the 9 and 12 dice, as well as the 2011 dyno while I'm at it, but your question is about the dice.

The low Y bar as it should opens up the canopy. This is very noticeable especially when tethering and in flight as well. The high Y creates a much tighter C.

Because of this, your low end is improved, Turning is faster, hangtime seem to slightly improve, and loops become far more direct and consistent on the low Y. You lose some of the 'C' qualities and the 'stable' feel of the dice, but marginal.

But with everything there is a catch.

The throw length before you stall the kite is reduced somewhat. Hence the plug and play, hooked/unhooked features of the dice on its own quad high Y bar gets a little more fastidious. In that you need to work with your trim a little more depending on wind strength and water conditions.

This is far more noticeable on the smaller 9m than the 12 to a point where honestly you are better off on the north High Y on the 9m kite. You lose too much throw length before you stall it.

What is also apparent and this could very well be related to the above, the kite does tend to be more stable at its high end on the high Y north bar.

So as with everything what giveth with one, taketh with the other.

So...I use the low Y on my dice 12m for when I'm going old school on the flats and for freestyle, and the high Y when in the waves. The 9m just uses the quad, it performs better.

The dyno 16m I run the low Y 4 line in lighter winds (from 11 to 15), then 15 up its on the five line north bar.

In terms of single line flagging on the dice, sorry I should have tested this, but I never have had to. There is absolutely no reason why is shouldn't work though. It does work on on the dyno though, but this is built to take a 4 line bar anyway and infact you shouldn't run it on their own 4 line high Y anyway...which is somewhat weird.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Dice kite with slingshot 4 line bar" started by AidanT