26 Feb 2015 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got one yet?
If so how is it?

crazyclint
NSW, 34 posts
26 Feb 2015 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

I'd also like to know how they go and can anyone compare it to say the best ts same size seems the ad for both is do it all kites?

BrisKites
QLD, 1224 posts
26 Feb 2015 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

Well of course we are a shop but can give some feedback.

Size 11m

Winds- So far tried from 14knt to about 22knt

In Flight - Faster flying and higher aspect than the older Evo's. Less bottom end than Rebel, probably close to Dice in bottom end power to the Dice but sits much further forward in the window. Upwind ability is good but a touch under a Rebel. Overhead stability is very good. Canopy stability with the 5 struts is excellent and it doesn't get out of shape as the wind picks up.

Turning - Fast, actually very fast. Loops - Can loop with power but if you crank the bar hard it will pivot at about 3/4 the way through the loop.

Bar feel - Solid, I prefer it on the lighter setting as it is quite heavy but allows you to feel where the kite is at all times. Good feedback in the jumps and re-directs feel very natural.

Jumps- The Evo smashes it in the jumps. Very natural jumping. Both send it style and load and sheet techniques will be rewarded. Best jumps achieved after a little depower is pulled. Big whippy jumps but still great float and easy landings. A bit less float than the Rebel though.
I still need to get it in the top end of it's wind range but at this stage the Evo would have to be my favourite jumping kite this year!

Drift - Not bad for it's aspect ratio but probably not as good as the older mid aspect Evo

Unhooked - Not the greatest for this, probably sits somewhere between the Dice and Rebel, just lacks a bit of pop.

Relaunch - The new higher aspect doesn't seem to have hindered the easy relaunch. Tested a few times and it still rolled to a tip with no rider input.

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
26 Feb 2015 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Had a good 10-12 odd sessions on this kite. Concur with the above, nothing to add except size was a 10 and I have had it out from 18 to 25/26. Jumping is its forte, vertical height is excellent, hang very good.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1345 posts
26 Feb 2015 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said...
Had a good 10-12 odd sessions on this kite. Concur with the above, nothing to add.

Eppo are you ok mate? You've got me worried about you!

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
26 Feb 2015 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

No mate all good, although these troughs messing our wind up is giving me the sh1ts. Rode this kite from the shop (mandurah WA surf) waiting for my Dyno to come in as well as my brothers fuse, it has, so the world is now complete once again......except for the wind...

Guy above covered it very well I thought.

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
26 Feb 2015 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Being the all rounder in Norths range, I guess it should be expected to be average in other areas. But as long as you can still have a play with un hooking and waves. Still have the Fuse quiver and one day will have to upgrade. Good news the Evo is a jumper and floater so it can replace the Fuse in that department. I was hoping you can still unhook and loop if you want to play/mix it up a little with the Evo as the Fuse is very poor in that department. As long as the Evo is good enough for looping and unhooking then it's all good.
Sounds like it is a excellent booster with float and also can handle other areas to mix it up!
Interesting about the bar pressure!

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
26 Feb 2015 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Mex as I said I was either on my bros 10m fuse or the new evo. Honestly the evo is really just a refined fuse man with some old evo stuff still in it. Both have solid bar pressure. Fuse more!

They have taken some of the jumping ability (hang wise) and put it into some of the other areas mentioned.

Height wise, I went more vertical on the new evo more consistently, as the grunt of the fuse affected the consistency of jump height...but when you get it right on the fuse...as you probably know...watch out!

But you can feel the fuse lineage in it for sure as well as some parts of the old evo. It's definetly more versatile than the fuse.

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
26 Feb 2015 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Eppo.....will have to test one!
Wish North would "Let it go" the 5th line, as my tween daughter would say......"that's so yesterday Dad"!

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
26 Feb 2015 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

I rode the Evo and fuse on both 4 and 5 lines depending on what bars were lying around at the time, no diference, it's not loaded.

Personally ive grown fond of five line bars...ha ha...but I'm the only one in the crew....but hey my riding is 'so yesterday' anyway

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
26 Feb 2015 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Would prefer if North gave you a choice with the Rebel 5 or 4 lines.
In your opinion which kite did you prefer for consistent high jumps?

cbulota
WA, 1199 posts
26 Feb 2015 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mex said..
Would prefer if North gave you a choice with the Rebel 5 or 4 lines.
In your opinion which kite did you prefer for consistent high jumps?

The Rebel has a loaded fifth line which means it supports the Leading Edge...I won't even fly on a 4 line bar. You'd be talking about completely redesigning the kite...

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
26 Feb 2015 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yep that's right!

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
26 Feb 2015 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Now now mex, 4 versus five has been done to death and is a personal thing. Adv and disadv to each. The rebel is a rebel is a rebel, becuase of its loaded fifth...they tried to make a four line version...it was called a fuse lol.

Anyhow the Evo doesn't need a five line bar so all is well for your disposition.

Evos as vertical height easier to access for sure, it's got more grunt, more bang. Rebels a smooth groovy machine.

But it at the very top and beyond specified wind range I'd trust the rebel more on the way down!!! Oh that's becuase of its loaded fifth....

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
26 Feb 2015 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah yeah I know Eppo! It has been flogged to death over the years.
Evo with a bit if grunt, I like the sound of that. They have said this year is better with the bottom end compared to last year and handles the gusts better as well.

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
26 Feb 2015 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Let us know man. Yeh I didn't really get on with last years to be honest. But then again I had far more sessions on this one. You make work I suppose whatever kite your on. Good luck on your search, it's fun!!

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
27 Feb 2015 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

It's either the Evo or Screamer but the Fuses still have some life in them yet, just the bar is looking pretty sick!

Commie
4 posts
28 Feb 2015 3:38AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't had a chance to try new Evo, but looking at a hadsome man from gleiten tv who's got way more stylish wetsuits than Eppo has ever owned (most likely) i'd say Rebel with 5 lines looks a lot more impressive than the Evo for freestyle (either 2014 or 2015). just my 2c.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
28 Feb 2015 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nissey said...
Can someone give me a review on this one, not a shop or sponsered review

It's slow, overpriced and basically the same as the last 3 seasons but a fool and his money are easily parted.
Plenty of other kites that are better if you ask around.
But hey I'm sure they shops will dispute this because it will hurt their bottom line.

burnsy11
WA, 121 posts
28 Feb 2015 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

You have no idea what you are talking about RPM....muppett !!

RedclffRoss
QLD, 45 posts
3 Mar 2015 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I took an 11m Evo for a demo yesterday. I'm 75 kg. Started in about 15-18 knts and finished in about 20-25 knts. I usually ride Rebels but I'm looking for something more versatile. The Evo doesn't lose much in upwind ability to the Rebel but definitely has a completely different feel. It turns quicker and carries more power through the turns which means you don't need to plan as much in advance and you can react to whats in front of you more spontaneously. If you want to boost big of wave or instead switch around and surf it toeside this can happen easily. The Evo jumps with greater acceleration than the Rebel and is not as floaty and seems to generate a bit more lift as you direct it forward back through 12 o'clock that I haven't noticed in the Rebel. I don't ride unhooked and being a Rebel owner don't have much skill in the looping department so I can't speak for these areas but I did notice a heap more pop from the Evo. It flies of the water in boosting style but also with load and pop I was getting more air time than I would on the Rebel loading and poping. The Rebels have served me well transitioning from beginning to intermediate and they are awesome in the low end department when everyone else is scratching to stay up wind but I'll probably switch over to the Evo next just for the versatility and maneuverability and more exciting way it jumps.

WA Surf
WA, 333 posts
4 Mar 2015 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Took the 10m out yesterday on the 27m Quad Control bar. Holy F**K that thing can boost! Loved it, and eats up the gusts better than you could ever imagine. I was stoking pretty hard after that hour session

Drew

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
8 Mar 2015 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

Did you guys try the 3 different settings on the kite?

eppo
WA, 6838 posts
8 Mar 2015 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Crikey mex go and demo one man.

Middle setting for jumping, hangtime and fast setting for lighter bar pressure and quicker to loop. Like all kites Just about.

Mex
QLD, 100 posts
8 Mar 2015 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Yeeesss OK then!

getfunky
WA, 4472 posts
23 Mar 2015 12:36AM
Thumbs Up

Am selling my 2014 Evo 9m in next to new condition. Please excuse my shameless pimp

I'd pretty much concur with most above (except that BS comment from RPM??).

Strengths in the Evo are definitely power through the turns (a big selling point for me), grunt, boosting, wind range and it really is a great freeride allrounder.
I hadn't ridden a Rebel for a few years but the Evo did remind me a little of the Rebel but just niftier and better suited to mixing in some waves.

from my 1st session out I managed some pretty epic (for moi) boosts and dialled in the landing very quickly. I use 22m lines and still get a great low end and boosting. Can imagine bothe being even more so on +24m lines.

Feedback on the bar is great, reaction times good. I did find the medium setting heavy (but I like to be lit up) and was surprised at how much better the lighter wing tip setting was.

Very hard to fault the Evo it's class. Had a stonker sesh from Lanno to Wedge on this kite and it handled everything like bombies, shories, upwind, flat, HUGE waves.. and all simply and effectively. Nice

So why am I selling? Well I prefer the 3 strut format and had ridden 3 strut kites for several years prior so am going back in that direction.
I've hummed and haared about this a fair bit as it is very easy to like the Evo, just wish it was a 3 strut kite.

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
23 Mar 2015 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
getfunky said..
Am selling my 2014 Evo 9m in next to new condition. Please excuse my shameless pimp

I'd pretty much concur with most above (except that BS comment from RPM??).

Strengths in the Evo are definitely power through the turns (a big selling point for me), grunt, boosting, wind range and it really is a great freeride allrounder.
I hadn't ridden a Rebel for a few years but the Evo did remind me a little of the Rebel but just niftier and better suited to mixing in some waves.

from my 1st session out I managed some pretty epic (for moi) boosts and dialled in the landing very quickly. I use 22m lines and still get a great low end and boosting. Can imagine bothe being even more so on +24m lines.

Feedback on the bar is great, reaction times good. I did find the medium setting heavy (but I like to be lit up) and was surprised at how much better the lighter wing tip setting was.

Very hard to fault the Evo it's class. Had a stonker sesh from Lanno to Wedge on this kite and it handled everything like bombies, shories, upwind, flat, HUGE waves.. and all simply and effectively. Nice

So why am I selling? Well I prefer the 3 strut format and had ridden 3 strut kites for several years prior so am going back in that direction.
I've hummed and haared about this a fair bit as it is very easy to like the Evo, just wish it was a 3 strut kite.

i will be keen to buy

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Evo 2015" started by Nissey