4 posts
13 Apr 2016 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 82kg advanced
Style: Surf, freeriding
Weather: ?-? knots
Build Quality: ?/10
Satisfaction: ?/10
Disclosure: i have a serious kiting addiction..........

New to the forum but have been reading them for a while, great resource!! Might be posting this in the wrong location but........?

I'm purchasing my first light wind kite an 18m North Juice and am wondering what peoples thoughts/experiences are with line length?
I currently ride strapless in the surf with North Dice 7,10 and 13m using 19 or 22m quad lines. I'll may need to purchase longer lines.
I've bought the kite for getting out in the 10-15knot range with a higher volume board when the winds are light and the surf is good.

North recommend 27m but I've heard 24m is good? and more responsive?
Would i get away with 22m or am i pushing it a bit?
I realize there is a trade off between bottom end power and turning speed here.

Cheers for any thoughts.

cbulota
WA, 1193 posts
13 Apr 2016 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Get a set of 5m Ozone line extensions: www.kitesports.co.nz/products/ozone-kitesurfing-pro-linesets-4x5m-extensions

then add those to your 19m lines and 22m lines and see the difference for yourself.

Contrary to what's being advertised, I personally find the upwind performance on the Juice to be quite poor. That may not be such an issue if you're using a directional board with great upwind performance, but on a small twin tip I had to work really hard and do ridiculously long tacks to recover lost ground, whether I was using 24 or 27m lines.

This upwind performance will decrease with longer lines and so will the turning speed. The only advantage with longer lines is the power stroke will generate a longer power delivery which in low winds (i.e. 10 knots) is sometimes critical for creating enough speed to develop apparent wind

bigtone667
NSW, 1007 posts
13 Apr 2016 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

If you can get away with the 19m or 22m lines on the Juice in the surf, you will be able to turn quite quickly. A big kite and long lines puts everything into slow motion.

elvie
4 posts
13 Apr 2016 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Perfect cbulota great idea.

Lambie
VIC, 709 posts
13 Apr 2016 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Red thumb away - but its a north kite ...... the longer the lines the better I say !!!!meaning the further away it is!! why would a kite Co stick with 5 lines these days ?? Maybe the Juice is a 4 line?? Ive no idea or interest . My mate flies North and the dice has weird turned in wingtips - I just don't like nor would never by a north - peace and love to those that enjoy the North Karma !!

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
13 Apr 2016 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Elvie,

I've flown the JUICE 15m a bit.
It work far better on 24m lines then 22m.
Just lets the kite do its thing and doesn't "choke" it.

If you use your 19 or 22m lines, please let us know how it goes.

enjoy.

Spark
WA, 184 posts
13 Apr 2016 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said...
why would a kite Co stick with 5 lines these days ?? Maybe the Juice is a 4 line??

Because the Rebel and Vegas are loaded fith line kites. All the other kites in the range are designed to fly on 4 lines but can be flown on a fith line bar but are an unloaded fith that only has any use once the quick release has been pulled

straddiepaul
QLD, 139 posts
13 Apr 2016 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

big kites need longer lines 24+ as are often used in lighter winds,
or for heavier riders seeking power...
shorter lines usually for smaller kites or stronger winds,
tho having short and long line options on the day is a bonus!

elvie
4 posts
14 Apr 2016 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

All good thoughts thanks.

The 19m bar set up is too narrow to use extensions but i will try the 22m as is, then with extensions and report back.

I'm thinking 2m extensions to make a 24m set up will be the cost effective answer........but we shall see how she flies!!

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
14 Apr 2016 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
elvie said..
All good thoughts thanks.

The 19m bar set up is too narrow to use extensions but i will try the 22m as is, then with extensions and report back.

I'm thinking 2m extensions to make a 24m set up will be the cost effective answer........but we shall see how she flies!!

If you're still not satisfied, try a 2:1 power bar set up, with pulleys. The Cabrinha Powerdrive bar (circa 2007/08) and the Naish SLE bars are great for big kites with longer than normal lines. I have my Naish set up to 30m lines with these bars, and the power curve is way better than a standard 1:1 set up. Meaning, I don't choke the kite in light winds and can ride better in those winds (light I mean by 8 to 12knots).
The disadvantage is the bar pressure can be too much for some (go to the gym boy!), and you still need to sine the kite to create more aparant wind.

BrisKites
QLD, 1222 posts
14 Apr 2016 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..
Ive no idea

I agree

Subculture
441 posts
14 Apr 2016 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said..

Lambie said..
I just don't like nor would never by a north - peace and love to those that enjoy the North Karma !!

But.. I sell North kites.. they are da shiz

See, I misquoted you too..

FoS
TAS, 1590 posts
19 Apr 2016 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Not an expert at all, and 120KG's
but my experience is the longer lines on this and the Naish fly
advantage longer drive when launching, if the wind is very light this might mean you actually get going
dis advantage - every action you do is in slow motion.

If you want a long glide on a low wind day longer lines, but if you want to play and there plenty of wind ...

PS I dont use the extensions

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
19 Apr 2016 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..
Why would a kite Co stick with 5 lines these days ?? Maybe the Juice is a 4 line?? Ive no idea or interest . My mate flies North and the dice has weird turned in wingtips - I just don't like nor would never by a north - peace and love to those that enjoy the North Karma !!

For the record the JUICE is a 4 line.

Personally i love the simplicity of 4lines (especially in the surf) but can see why people like 5th lines, especially if they fly solo or in lighter winds, for relaunch.

Bare in mind the JUICE, NEO, DYNO and EVO are all made to fly on 4lines. With the 5th line simply for safety.
But the REBEL and VEGAS are designed to have a loaded 5th line which helps with LE support.
The DICE is also one of NORTH's biggest selling kites, so maybe your mate is onto something.

evila
VIC, 66 posts
24 Apr 2016 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

I have an 18 meter Juice that I fly on 24m lines and is perfect.

22m lines shouldn't make much difference except the bar is probably shorter so may slow the kite down.

elvie
4 posts
27 Oct 2016 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Flown it a couple of times now on the 22m lines with 3m extensions and for a massive kite it goes well.

Like hooking up to a tractor really, low end grunt and chug along in ridiculously light winds.

Something different on a slow day!!

eppo
WA, 6783 posts
27 Oct 2016 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Elvie, take into account that longer lines using extensions essentially brings the Y closer to you relative to the kite. 5m extensions, just take note that the kite isn't being flaired out at the wing tips and adjust trim accordingly. Not such a huge issue on the quad bar, but still there. Have fun.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Juice 18m best line length??" started by elvie