Rider: 81 kilo, intermediate
Style:prefer waves
Weather: 12 to 30 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure:

My Comments:

North Neo 2014 review
So am a couple of years into kiting, coming from a 30 year wave sailing background. Had accumulated a bit of hotch potch of kites that were all good in their own right right, but really different to fly. Zephyr 17, rebel 2012 7, and neo 2013 9m. I Like the waves, and since I hurt my back am keener to ride waves than jump them, though I do like, and aspire to improve my boosting skills.

So after lots of discussions with Eppo and Kim from Gero surf and sail I traded them all in for a 6,8,10 neo 2014 quiver.

Am I happy? You bet! They all have the same feel and characteristics... Quick to pivot from one way to the other. Beautifully soft going off the wind, just run with you. Can do nice follow me, for power, or just let it drift and surf the wave.
I am the limiting factor, not the kite. Have done a couple of down winders and they just behave beautifully.
Have a 22 and 24m bars which works out good. The 6 is my fave, so light and responsive. I'm not experienced enough to provide detailed analysis, but by comparison with my old kites I'd say, they don't go upwind so well, unless well powered up, seem to be quite powerful at their lower end, flip quickly to change direction, but don't hack too fast across the window.

Ahh, I also got majorly cleaned up in a big swell. High speed submarine, let the whole lot go and big swim in at Horrocks, only 1 small nick, I think they are pretty robust.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
25 Apr 2014 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Dave have ya found the bottom useable end of the 10 as yet?

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
25 Apr 2014 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

HAha that was a quick response Eppo! I went out in 15-18 knots according to Gero port and struggled to stay up wind. But there was a big swell running and a strong current going off wind in the Horrocks lagoon, so am not that was a fair test. Without current I reckon 15-18 on my wam would be pretty good and about the bottom end...

Go the dockers!

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
26 Apr 2014 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

A new Love affair blossoms

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
26 Apr 2014 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..

HAha that was a quick response Eppo! I went out in 15-18 knots according to Gero port and struggled to stay up wind. But there was a big swell running and a strong current going off wind in the Horrocks lagoon, so am not that was a fair test. Without current I reckon 15-18 on my wam would be pretty good and about the bottom end...

Go the dockers!

Cheers, not bad though for a 10 at your weight. Yeh there is a lot of current moving through there hey.

Dockers were terrible buddy..

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
26 Apr 2014 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Yup I'm pretty pleased with the low end, I was out on the 8 in Gero when everyone else was on 9's and 10's and I was very comfy.

Think I posted at the end of first quarter when they were 3 or 4 goals up.... Only went downhill after that!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Neo 2014" started by Dave Whettingsteel