Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Neo 2017 quiver - tips and reviews

Created by patkite > 9 months ago, 2 Oct 2016
patkite
WA, 9 posts
2 Oct 2016 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys !!
I finally sold my North Rebels and now I'm considering to get a new quiver of North Neo kites for wave riding only.
I used to have a quiver of Rebels sizes 6,9,12. This quiver worked perfectly well for me - I was able to kite under all conditions I found in Australia, Asia and Europe (fyi i'm 75kg riding medium volume surfboard).
Now that I'm getting the Neo, I'm thinking if I should follow the same quiver (6/9/12) or move 1 size down.
For Neo 2017 owners, what do you guys think about this quiver 6/9/12?

I'm also considering if I should get the Neo for sizes 6 and 9 and a Reo Ozone for size 12, as I found reviews stating the big sizes Neo are really slow. Any thoughts and reviews on that?

Cheers everyone!

Dl33ta
TAS, 452 posts
2 Oct 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Can't talk about the 12 but I think 6 and 9 is a good quiver. I run a 5,7,9 and that covers just about everything I'm interested in doing. Maybe get the 6 and 9 before you get the bigger one, you'll be surprised how low the 9 goes. Very differen't kite to the Rebels though pbviously, will take a minute to get used to.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1339 posts
2 Oct 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

I've been on Neos for a while and recently traded in to 2017 6,8,10 Neos. I love them but am not sure about the 10.
It's a lot slower than the 8 which is to be expected but I'm not convinced it's the best kite for light wind wave riding. Though I don't really know what would be better either so that's not much help!

It's great having a quiver of the same kites, but I think there may be better options for your light wind kite.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1339 posts
2 Oct 2016 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dl33ta said...
Can't talk about the 12 but I think 6 and 9 is a good quiver. I run a 5,7,9 and that covers just about everything I'm interested in doing. Maybe get the 6 and 9 before you get the bigger one, you'll be surprised how low the 9 goes. Very differen't kite to the Rebels though pbviously, will take a minute to get used to.

Good call, yeah I'm thinking next year 5,7,9 and use the nuggget on lighter days, or maybe buy a second hand big bastard and keep it long term.

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
2 Oct 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Pat,

I arrived in WA on Friday, with a full van of demo north gear.
I have 7, 9 and 11m Neos as well as a quiver of pretty much every kite north make.

We have demos planned, through our local dealers and i will also be at the beach whenever people are keen to try gear.

I'm personally 75kg and ride the 6m, 9m in Neo and 12m in the Mono.
The mono has all the same characteristics as the Neo, but is a lighter build and has less struts, so it sits better in light wind. (i have one in demo also)

Let me know if your out and about kiting, mid week, or keep and eye on ACTION WA and WA SURFS facebook pages for demo times.
Happy to bring some gear down for you to try.

cheers

Josh

Puetz
NT, 2096 posts
2 Oct 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBFletch said..
Hi Pat,

I have 7, 9 and 11m Neos as well as a quiver of pretty much every kite north make.

We have demos planned, through our local dealers and i will also be at the beach whenever people are keen to try gear.

The mono has all the same characteristics as the Neo, but is a lighter build and has less struts, so it sits better in light wind. (i have one in demo also)

Let me know if your out and about kiting, mid week, or keep and eye on ACTION WA and WA SURFS facebook pages for demo times.

cheers

Josh

... so can yooou do a user review of the Rebel and Nugget????? The guys in WA are too busy.

Thanks!!!

patkite
WA, 9 posts
2 Oct 2016 7:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JBFletch said..

Thanks for the invitation Josh ! Unfortunately I won't be around for the demo session.

Regarding the responsiveness of the Mono 12m, comparing to the Neo 12m, would you say the Mono is quicker than the Neo?

I haven't considered the Mono for my 12m in the next quiver, as I have received so many positive feedback from Ozone Reo 12m kiters (they were all amazed how fast it turns for a 12m!).

Cheers !! Pat.

patkite
WA, 9 posts
2 Oct 2016 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dl33ta said..

That's a good way to go Dl33ta ! I might get the smaller sizes first....

How do you feel about the 9m responsiveness? Fast enough to be satisfied? Are you using the 2017 ones?

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
2 Oct 2016 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Pat,

I'm here for 2 weeks (next 2 weekends) so hopefully you can make it to one.

Personally i don't ride the 12m much. The 9m is super responsive, and seems to buzz around were i need it and you can work it pretty hard to power it up.
I reckon i can get going on a WHIP and 9m in 18knots.

Both stores in WA have demos, so even if you can't get to one of the NORTH demo days, swing past and grab a store demo kite and go for a spin.
Its the best way to know for yourself. Opinions of others only go so far.

cheers

Josh

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
3 Oct 2016 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..

JBFletch said..
Hi Pat,

cheers

Josh

... so can yooou do a user review of the Rebel and Nugget????? The guys in WA are too busy.

Thanks!!!

Hi Puetz,
As i work for North and due to breezers negative reactions to brand managers, team riders, regular customer and (pretty much anyone that has positive history with a big brand) i don't feel my review would be justified.

All i can say is, the Rebel is my choice for flatwater blasting and general goofing around (rode a 7m and woodies yesterday) and the nugget is a great option for: 1). bigger guys looking for an allround surfboard. 2). crew riding in lightwind 3). crew looking for a forgiving first surfboard that they can keep and progress with.I'll do my best to get some feedback this weekend (from non associated riders) and post some comments.
Cheers

Josh

Puetz
NT, 2096 posts
3 Oct 2016 1:15PM
Thumbs Up

... thanks!

NitrousOxide
NSW, 92 posts
3 Oct 2016 2:31PM
Thumbs Up

I am also thinking of going 5,7,9m in the Neo's. I have a 14m Core section LW for those desperation days but if i'm honest since riding the Tomo boards I rarely want bigger than my current 10m (Naish park 2014) and I'm 95kg dry weight.

Going to try and demo the Neo back to back with the Naish Slash and pick between the two!

Slashrockson
NSW, 122 posts
3 Oct 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NitrousOxide said..
I am also thinking of going 5,7,9m in the Neo's. I have a 14m Core section LW for those desperation days but if i'm honest since riding the Tomo boards I rarely want bigger than my current 10m (Naish park 2014) and I'm 95kg dry weight.

Going to try and demo the Neo back to back with the Naish Slash and pick between the two!

I'd be interested in your decision/comments once you trial those two.

Gazuki
WA, 849 posts
3 Oct 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Without derailing the thread could I get your thoughts on the 14m section,. toying with buying one as my light wind option.

NitrousOxide
NSW, 92 posts
3 Oct 2016 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

The Section is a great kite but has taken a bit of getting used to and I still don't have it completely dialed in. I am mainly on Naish parks from 2014 riding 90% strapless surfboard and had 12,10,8m and being 95kg I struggled a little bit in the typical east cost seabreezes of 14-17 knots. I bought the section in an attempt to get me out in those slightly lighter days and still be able to wave ride. I have since realised that part of my problem was having a less than ideal board for my weight in light winds.....Firewire Vader 5'5" and i can ride my 10m park down to 16 knots.

But the 14m Section is a far better wave kite than the 12m Park. It turns as quick, has a slightly better bottom end drifts far better. And has a top end up to the point where I am using my 10 and if I had a 9m with a good bottom end (Neo or Slash) of about 18 knots. With the line extensions you get an extra 1-2 knots bottom end so can stay upwind from 12 knots, but it gives it a bit more of a park and ride feel and it becomes very slow making it less useful as a wave kite. So for me it fills in the 13-17knot gap nicely and is a lot more lively than any other big kite i have ridden.

But the couple of sessions I have found it has come into its own have been in big swells with a little bit borderline winds. I took it out in a solid 6 foot (double over head swell) in 16 knot winds with strong sweep and rips at Merewether beach and the drift and extra low end meant I could enjoy an otherwise impossible session - I was the only kite out.

The other 50% of sessions on it have not been as much fun - but for me that is pretty good from my experience of trying to kite waves in light winds where 1 knot makes the difference between flying along on glass and sinking

Its still a big kite and therefore isn't super quick in the turn and it doesn't have the bottom end of my old 17m Contra, but it does drift and you can whip it around kite-loop it in onshore conditions. It doesn't overpower me like the contra did so it goes upwind well. So all in all as far as lightwind wave goes i'm pretty pleased with it but still struggle to use it in truly light winds (Which is probably because I need to lose 20kg more than the kite itself)

patkite
WA, 9 posts
3 Oct 2016 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said..
I've been on Neos for a while and recently traded in to 2017 6,8,10 Neos. I love them but am not sure about the 10.
It's a lot slower than the 8 which is to be expected but I'm not convinced it's the best kite for light wind wave riding. Though I don't really know what would be better either so that's not much help!

It's great having a quiver of the same kites, but I think there may be better options for your light wind kite.

Dave, have you ever had a try on the 9m Neo 2017? If so, were it disappointing as the 10m you got?

piccio
25 posts
4 Oct 2016 1:04AM
Thumbs Up

I had rebels for years then neo 2014 2015 4 5 7 9....sold them ....too slow .
bought religion 9 6 in june ....much less power than my previous neo but decent turning for waves.
tried two days ago new 9 neo after one hour with my rel 9.....about 15 17 knots .
found neo a real wave kite now ....good turning ,very different from older ones .
turns like a wave kite should do.
had impression of much less power and less upwind quality so maybe this year the suggestion of buying one size smaller must be cheked carefully before spending so much,but I had new north bar ...no much confidence....seemed setted for higher winds ......queue for trying.....to try again better.

castill0jf
VIC, 551 posts
4 Oct 2016 4:07AM
Thumbs Up

good comments about 2017. I own NEO 2015 because of the drift capability and most important the power to take me upwind faster. it is a slow turning kite. I will have to try them but if they have lost the power then I will buy REOs.

Gazuki
WA, 849 posts
4 Oct 2016 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Nitrous,

Thanks for the reply. That's a pretty positive report.

I been toying with the purchase for a while but hate big kites, but I hate just missing session more. Recently my biggest kite was a 12m Catalyst which I found wasn't enough to get out in the really light stuff but way to close to my 10m. It was pretty pleasing to hear that it drifts that well and you can loop it etc. At 82kg's I think it should be perfect for those many 15kn borderline days!

Thanks' mate!

Side note,.. does anyone have an old 14m Section for sale?

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1339 posts
4 Oct 2016 6:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
patkite said...
Dave Whettingsteel said..

Dave, have you ever had a try on the 9m Neo 2017? If so, were it disappointing as the 10m you got?

Pat haven't tried a 9 but will do so this summer to see if i change sizes next summer. The 10 is not that bad, it just that the relatively slow turn speed is hard to manage going down wind on a wave.
More practice and more drifting is then solution i think!

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
4 Oct 2016 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

All of the north kites (including the NEO) for 2017 have had canopy redesign.
The segmented panels, means that the canopy is more stable and combining that with flatter tips, the new neo flys a little faster and turns more responsively.

I wasn't a fan of last years 11 or 12m and have a had a few rides on the 2017 11 and find it better and not so (big kite feeling).

Best way to know, is to demo tho.

Shoot me a msg if your heading out.
Ill bring the quiver down for you.

cheers

Josh

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
4 Oct 2016 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Pat

I came off Rebels 3 seasons ago onto Neos

The recommendation from the top was to go 1m smaller on both kites. I went from 7m and 10m Rebels to 6 and 9m Neos.
I was skeptical about this but as it came from top advice I went with it and there has been no doubt ever since; I just renewed my 2016 kites to 2017s with 6 and 9m for the 3rd year running. Some days I toy with the idea of a 5m and 8m.

I tend to pep up the surboard size on light wind days and so far after 2 months of kiting I have not opened the 9m bag. Just been running the 6m for 17 - 33 knot conditions that we have had. (SA wind has been a little weird so far this year)

So definitely don't go the same size as your Rebels, the Neos pack a punch, the 2017 Neos are as close as possible to the REbel smooth feel, but they are still more powerful in the bottom end.

Daz

(see profile for disclaimer)

stefarius
19 posts
24 Oct 2016 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Patkite,

Your 6/9/12m is fine. Maybe a 5m if you go out in +28 knots (surfboard)
The 2017 North Neo didn't changed a lot vs 2016. Instructors in our school said the 2017 felt a bit softer.
Written review: www.kitefinder.com/en/kites/1612/north-neo-2017

You can find a video Neo/click bar review here. It was in very light wind foil conditions, but you can see its performance.
Video Review:

TomW059
175 posts
5 Nov 2016 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

I bought a Mono 7 and used it 2 sessions in wind that's good for my 2010 RRD Obsession 9m. the first session was 2hrs on wave board and fully powered, but not anywhere near top end. I think it was about 22-25 knots. I really liked the kite, very forgiving, no flutter, depower/trim and bar pressure was linear. Perfect bar pressure. kite drifted like magic. couldn't get it to fall even if I tried.
In second session about 18-22 knots I was under powered, but still well behaved. some small kites backstall and work badly, not Mono.
Upwind ability was fantastic even compared to my 9 in same wind.

I actually bought this kite for higher wind foiling, but have not used it yet on foil.

I'm wondering how 9 and 12 mono compare in turning speed, bar pressure and stability. I could consider them as a quiver for foiling and travel.

I don't care if you are team, dealer or whatever.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Neo 2017 quiver - tips and reviews" started by patkite