Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Neo, 5th element or quad bar

Created by Monfils525 > 9 months ago, 5 Oct 2016
Monfils525
32 posts
5 Oct 2016 5:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

I'm interested in your stance on the Neo or the Evo with the 5 line bar vs the 4 line bar. They both have that 5th line tucked in a pocket. Does that improve riding, or does it actually make things worse?
What are the pros and contras, and which one are you going with?

I do also have Rebels, so I have the 5th element bar, but until now I have been using a 22 m Quad bar for my 2015 7 and 9 m Neos.

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
5 Oct 2016 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate,

The NEO and EVO are both based on the 4line bar. (quad bar) and its designed to fly on it. For personal preference both kites can be also flown with the 5th line bar. Its doesn't really affect the kite, but its an option.
For waves tho, the 4 line is normally the choice, as it takes away the possibility of getting the kite "bowtied" when rolled in surf with a 5th line.

On the other hand the REBEL and VEGAS are designed to be flown on the 5th line only (loaded 5th line) It supports the structure of the canopy and helps it fly. Without it the kite would fold up and wouldn't fly properly.

Before the intro of the 100% depower Quad bar (in 2015) i used a 5thline bar for the crazy southerly fronts we got in Sydney.
But with the new safety feature i find the quad works for everything.

enjoy

Monfils525
32 posts
5 Oct 2016 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hey there!

So you would say that the Neo acts all the same with the 4 vs the 5 line bar?
Have you had to change any lines or other parts on your bars?

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1356 posts
5 Oct 2016 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Definitely go the 4 line for the Neo. Its relaunch ability after getting smashed tumbled and turned is remarkable.
Even if it did fly better on 5 lines, (I've never tried), no way would you want to compromise the relaunch with a 5th line.

JoeMc
WA, 92 posts
5 Oct 2016 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Monfils,
I have a 2015 Neo 9 flying on a 2015 5 line North Bar. That was how it came when I bought it. Reading the blurb from North they say 5 line is better for safety.
However better to listen to experienced guys like Dave and go with 4.

To specifically answer your question - The 5th line on the NEO is slack meaning it does nothing unless you flag our or use it to assist relaunch.

Being fairly new I have had many ocean relaunches and have never felt the need to use the 5th line.

Recently went upwind quite a distance and at the end came downwind. Being new to this my lines went slack and the kite fell out of the sky directly in front of me. Because the wind was still blowing my kite decided to do an extra roll on the water and invert on itself. If this happens sometimes a 5th line can wrap around the middle and cause some dramas. Luckily it slipped off to the side.

So my advice to you is purchase a brand new 4 line north bar (preferebly clicker type) and come and swap it for my very nice 5th Element bar. Fair trade?

Seriously if anyone wants to swap a 4 for 5 drop me a PM.

Joe

wishy
WA, 1372 posts
15 Oct 2016 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

I tried the Neo on 4 lines today, seems fantastic.
I probably wouldn't bother with the 5th and the guys from the shop were recommending the same.

JBFletch
QLD, 1285 posts
15 Oct 2016 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Monfils525 said...
Hey there!

So you would say that the Neo acts all the same with the 4 vs the 5 line bar?
Have you had to change any lines or other parts on your bars?

the front bridles have 2 connection knots.
both are labelled, so use one for 4 line and one for 5th
5th is slightly longer setting.

eppo
WA, 7080 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:56AM
Thumbs Up

I'm thinking the higher Y on the 5 line bar changes its flying characteristics, even with the 5th line knot at the kite. it affected the dice which we rode with both, 4 line better...more reactive, quicker turning, better bottom end.

I even rode the 2014 dice with an ozone bar for this reason. Even more reactive etc, but gave you less throw before it would stall out (given a certain trim setting), and was much more unstable near its top third range and beyond. 2015/2016 didn't need a lower V, the normal north quad was reactive enough.

So...4 line quad is the go on the neo, because it's a wave kite, want it as reactive as possible and you don't want fifths hanging around in the surf if you are going real deep and pushing it.... and you should rarely be riding the neo at its top third and beyond so the extra safety of a fifth (kills the kite completely which is important when say you are on a rebel 10m in 30 knots) so isn't really needed.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Neo, 5th element or quad bar" started by Monfils525