Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Nugget CSC 2016

Created by coaxial > 9 months ago, 24 Dec 2017
coaxial
22 posts
24 Dec 2017 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone,
I am planning to buy a second hand nugget CSC 2016...blue and green board. I want to use it in low to medium wind condition 12/17 knots, mostly in choppy waters. I am normally a TT rider and want to start strapless so I thought the board would be a good choice. We don?t have waves where I dont really need a dedicated wave board. I?d like to hear the feedback from users of this 2016 nugget and in particular, how the board beahve in choppy conditions.
Thanks in advance.

magnusod
29 posts
25 Dec 2017 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

I have the Nugget 5'3 2016 and absolutely love it. It glides just effortless and rocks upwind. I think it's quite smooth in choppy waters. It's a wide design so you can't really expect it to be absolutely calm in choppy waters.

Is the water really that choppy in 12-17 knots? I believe the double concave hull makes the Nugget run smoothly although being wide. I think the board is perfect for freeriding as well as it gets going so early and goes upwind much much better than a standard surfboard.

coaxial
22 posts
26 Dec 2017 2:07AM
Thumbs Up

ok thanks. Do you ride it with or without straps?

ralphlong
WA, 31 posts
27 Dec 2017 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

I have it and absolutely love it too. I ride it strapless. It flies upwind like anything. I use it in Perth seabreeze small wave slop and its so much fun. The wind range you quote is what I use it in with a 9m North neo. I found it a bit tricky to water start strapless at first due to its width and volume, just use mostly rear footy pressure right at the tail and its no problem.

magnusod
29 posts
27 Dec 2017 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
coaxial said..
ok thanks. Do you ride it with or without straps?

I also ride it without straps and yes it's harder to waterstart than a low volume traditional surfboard. You can't really 'dig your heals into the deck' as you can on a lower volume board with thinner rails.
For me it's not really any problem as in the conditions you use the Nugget you have a lot of time and no big waves that will smash you.

strekke
70 posts
28 Dec 2017 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

The 2016 Nugget CSC is an awesome board, does an amazing job in light wind conditions. Before buying one I tested 2 similar boards but the nugget stood out for sure - a lot more maneuverable than similar boards I tried. Definitely ride it strapless, so much more fun and you will learn to move your feet depending on how you want to ride the board and the conditions. This will improve your strapless skills once you head out in bigger winds & waves on a real surfboard. It's super stable so great to progress on, and still quite playful/easy to turn despite its width (just move your back foot further back if you want to do tight turns). The double concave glides through chop nicely considering the width and volume, no issues there. Also to water start in deep water, there is absolutely no problem - just put your front foot on top of it and send the kite and off you go, no real difference compared to any other strapless board. Great little jumper too, board sticks to your feet nicely. And of course low end and upwind are top of the class. I rode one for 2 seasons in a choppy bay without waves, and in small waves and low winds. Both these types of sessions are fun, especially the low wind wave days as the nugget with its crazy upwind gets you back in the line up in no time. Since I got my foil I ride it a lot less but just last weekend I took it out again because it was too shallow to foil and I had an amazing session, had almost forgotten how great this little eggshaped thing is. It truly is a great board for the conditions it is designed for - get one, you won't regret it.

benk
QLD, 398 posts
28 Dec 2017 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

It's a great lightwind board, but as an aside i ride the nugget strapless in head high waves when it's not too windy and have changed the two rear fins to more surf shapes and it handles great, it even surfs well toe side. Awesome board, never selling mine

coaxial
22 posts
29 Dec 2017 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

thanks everyon....I have ordered one....half price as well!! Cant wait to get it! :-)

bgil5470
12 posts
29 Dec 2017 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

Can I ask where you got one half price? Might get one too!

ReefWalker
WA, 115 posts
7 Jan 2018 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bgil5470 said..

I would like to know this too!!

bgil5470
12 posts
8 Jan 2018 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ReefWalker said..

bgil5470 said..

I would like to know this too!!

Coaxial got his half-price in Europe. Guess we just have to put up with over-inflated board prices here in Oz. Man I hope Amazon starts selling kite gear soon...sick of getting ripped off hey

HappyG
VIC, 290 posts
8 Jan 2018 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Where in Europe is he getting his board from? Most of the retailers in Europe wont deliver surfboards to Australia...

bgil5470
12 posts
8 Jan 2018 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

He's in Spain mate...living the dream

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
11 Jan 2018 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I LOVE MY NUGGET 5"3 2016 it's such a FUN board to play with.... more fun than the Vader unless it's very windy when it bounces off a lot.

My only issue with the board is the shocking low quality of finish. It scratches way too easily and the green paint comes off... But massive levels of fun. I got it with the long North 2018 traction pad, it's worth it.

And yes forget about straps, it's such a large board, you won't want to keep your feet in the middle. Especially in light wind, your back foot needs to be way forward of the strap position. It's such as stable board, so easy to learn transitions without falling off.

strekke
70 posts
11 Jan 2018 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..
I LOVE MY NUGGET 5"3 2016 it's such a FUN board to play with.... more fun than the Vader unless it's very windy when it bounces off a lot.

Saying that it is more fun than the Vader is a bold statement I just got a Vader and only had a few sessions on it - awesome board and much more alive than the nugget, but of course less low end and less stable than the nugget. For light winds and small waves = nugget wins; decent winds / good waves / overall shredding, definitely the Vader, as it turns so much faster/easier than the nugget. Either way, comparing the Vader to the Nugget seems like comparing apples to oranges, as they are designed for different things. But definitely both amazing boards!

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..
My only issue with the board is the shocking low quality of finish. It scratches way too easily and the green paint comes off... But massive levels of fun. I got it with the long North 2018 traction pad, it's worth it.

Agree, the green coating scratches easily.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Nugget CSC 2016" started by coaxial