Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

North Nugget or Airush Cypher?

Created by KiwiDave > 9 months ago, 20 Mar 2017
KiwiDave
VIC, 192 posts
20 Mar 2017 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

I am looking for a first directional. I like the reports I hear about the Nugget and I like the look of the Airush cypher. But which way should I go?

I am 95 pies with 9,12 and 17m Airush lithium kites and plan for a 7m one day.

Will be kiting on Port Philip bay either when there is too little wind for a twintip or when the wind is westerly making for very confused little waves - the proverbial washing machine.

I have never surfed. Not quite comfortable with the term 'intermediate' but certainly not a beginner either.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
20 Mar 2017 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Dave, you couldn't go wrong with either board mate.
If you can find one secondhand in the larger sizes, buy it.

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
21 Mar 2017 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

... Hey KiwiDave,

I used to ride the 5'10" Cypher (Active Construction) and currently use the 5'5" Nugget. Both are good boards and perfect for getting into directionals as they are both easy boards to ride so either way, you should like them.

The Cypher having the 5 fin boxes makes it a bit more tune-able to suit what ever style your after and this makes it a great surfboard but the Nugget is faster, handles bigger kites better and has better upwind so ultimately makes it a better light wind board. The Cypher felt a bit bouncy as the wind picks up but move your feet position around and you can tame it better.

The older Cypher's deck got heal dents pretty quick under me and I wasn't too happy about that but this was probably because it was the Carbon version so built for performance rather than strength. Once the heal dents appeared, so too did cracks and this let water in so I was constantly repairing it only to have more tiny cracks appear elsewhere. Same age and hours on the Nugget and hardly any dents and no cracks so clearly Nugget has a stronger build. I guess the standard construction Cypher may have been better in this regard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Robbie

KiwiDave
VIC, 192 posts
1 Apr 2017 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

At the moment there is a 2017 North Nugget TT 5'2 with fins, bag, foot straps selling locally un-used for $850.

But the North website says this board is for 60-85 kg riders. Should that worry me, do I need to hold out for the CSC version?

And if I wait for the CSC version I think it comes in two sizes. Do I need the larger one? The shorter version seems to come up for sale more often.

The same question goes for the Airush Cypher. Would it be a mistake to buy anything other than the biggest one?

I'm 95 pies.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
1 Apr 2017 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

I'd wait for the bigger size Dave, so you want either a 5'5 in the old or 5'3 in the new shape.

Youngbreezy
WA, 937 posts
2 Apr 2017 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

I would second what toppleover has said, definitely hold out for the bigger size of the nugget, I am 100kgs and have the 5,5 in the older shape, it is a great board, it excels in the low end as it is intended but for heavier guys it also makes a great allrounder, I feel like the added power I get is worth an extra 2 meters of kite when I'm on this board, if that makes sense.

I also had a couple sessions on the cypher which was the mid size in the 2015/16 shape ( square nose 5'6 x20") I really liked this board and felt it wAs a perfect allround size for my weight not the ultimate low end board but a perfect all rounder. I would definitely get one of these if I found a good second hand price
( tightarse)

Both boards are are great for me to break it down simply - nugget more low end free ride bump and jump, wind chop and small waves

cypher more allround, more control, still good low end, more capable in real waves

it it is important to note I am comparing the modern square nose cypher with the older nugget though.

I would love love to have a crack at the new nugget

fruuugz
NSW, 114 posts
2 Apr 2017 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Youngbreezy said..
I would second what toppleover has said, definitely hold out for the bigger size of the nugget, I am 100kgs and have the 5,5 in the older shape, it is a great board, it excels in the low end as it is intended but for heavier guys it also makes a great allrounder, I feel like the added power I get is worth an extra 2 meters of kite when I'm on this board, if that makes sense.

I also had a couple sessions on the cypher which was the mid size in the 2015/16 shape ( square nose 5'6 x20") I really liked this board and felt it wAs a perfect allround size for my weight not the ultimate low end board but a perfect all rounder. I would definitely get one of these if I found a good second hand price
( tightarse)

Both boards are are great for me to break it down simply - nugget more low end free ride bump and jump, wind chop and small waves

cypher more allround, more control, still good low end, more capable in real waves

it it is important to note I am comparing the modern square nose cypher with the older nugget though.

I would love love to have a crack at the new nugget

dont you live in yeppoon? where are you testing these SURF boards? big dune?

Youngbreezy
WA, 937 posts
4 Apr 2017 8:37AM
Thumbs Up

Hi fruuuugz I think you may be mistaking me for some one else, I live in Perth and have ridden the nugget a lot around here and up and down the coast, the cypher I rode at a nice small reef wave in Mandurah and at the Perth beachbreaks

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"North Nugget or Airush Cypher?" started by KiwiDave