Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ocean Rodeo Razor - 2014/15

Created by puppetonastring > 9 months ago, 10 May 2014
puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
10 May 2014 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

I'll probably get slammed for this but couldnt resist posting this bit of kite company 'hype' as an information feature here where kiters are looking for info on kites. OK its not a review - as such - but its not gushing words from the PR dept either. I have been meaning to post a review of the Razor for a while but this pretty much sums up my still limited experience on this kite. I love it. Im challenged by it but I love it.
Yep - definitely not for the faint hearted. As they honestly admit its a kite that demands your attention and requires a high level of precision & control - and I'll add to that - it will spank you if you misbehave.
Pls dont complain about pimping - if I didnt think it was honest, well intentioned info I wouldnt post it. Either ignore or try one. We have them on demo 24/7.

From the desk of Ocean Rodeo on the 2014/15 Razor...... SLE 'C' style kite
" (pic of the Razor)... That's a Hell of a Kite...
This is just a little mailer sent to everyone on our list, all ~9,000 of you. A bit different than our normal tone, but hey - we make a badass kite. It's not for newbies, and that's the point.
The 4th generation Razor is the stallion in our stable, offering the pedigree and horsepower to let you rip. Yes, we liked those puns too.
You know what makes the Razor different? Wingtips. They're the biggest in its class and that's important because wingtips are what give you turning force, acceleration, reactivity...and heart stopping kiteloops. Seriously - crank the bar, fins whistle, passers by run for cover... #LOOPIT
What else? Oh yeah: Venturi. The Razor is designed to be over-driven, to say it commands your attention would be polite. Your central nervous system will be lit up like a Roman Candle.
Aggressive, powerful, fast, and precise, the Razor reacts to your every thought. If you define your session's success by how hard your heart is pounding or how long the adrenaline lingers once back on the beach, get in touch with your local dealer for a demo today. Ocean Rodeo offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on all our products so your only risk is missing your landing when you 1st loop this demon of a kite."

Sounds like a challenge to me!!!
JFYI from 7 demos we have recorded 4 immediate sales! Way way way above the norm of around 10 to 1. One customer had demoed 15 different kites!!! (who has that sort of time & dedication??) before the Razor & was sold on just 1 session.
AND the Prodigy is doing even better. Without doubt the Prodigy is the most user friendly kite Ive ever flown - smooth as silk and easy as. I am seriously impressed with these kites.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
10 May 2014 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Heres a pic. Check the OR website for detail of FST as well - unique & interesting design concept.
oceanrodeo.com/product/razor/?v=7516fd43adaa

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
14 May 2014 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

I can't say much about the razor, as mine is a 2010 and the 2014 9m I rode was on a day when everyone was on 12's, so I had to move it around a heap but it did get me out riding waves. I couldn't jump at all, cept on the way over waves, but it could still whip around enough to keep me on them which was great. I'd like to see how it drifts when powered up as I had to watch it constantly as it was falling back during the toeside sections on a cross onshore day. (Toeside into the wind)
I've been on the prodigy 12 and 9.5 and they are as puppet says, so easy and stable. They both have no drama drifting and providing loft for the TT game.
They do feel super smooth but I need to fly them next to my mate's drifter's and dice kites to give a fair comparison.
Has anyone got comparisons? Would love to hear these.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
15 May 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

My guess is that the Razor may not be the best park & ride kite out there - correction - Im almost sure it wont be.
The Razor is more for experienced hoons who like to fly their kite every minute they are out there - over powered & over reactive. Its a true kite fliers kite rather than a tool to make kitesurfing a leisurely care-free occupation. Thats the job of the Prodigy - Oh so refined and simple.

someawe
WA, 179 posts
16 May 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
One customer had demoed 15 different kites!!! (who has that sort of time & dedication??)

one guess who!

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
23 May 2014 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Just had delivered 9 & 12m for demo.
Cheers East CC.
Just need some wind now. Has been rubbish for weeks.

Spitfire
WA, 394 posts
2 Jun 2014 3:03AM
Thumbs Up

So whats new with the 2014/2015 razor. I have a 2013 8 and 10. Great kites.

kernal
WA, 541 posts
2 Jun 2014 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

i laughed at the vented canopy bit for a while untill i saw that it has a self closeing flap. clever little dicks arent they :P but ill be very VERY intrested to see how long it takes for someone to stress that flaps stitching open :) any word on how many hours it took? i wouldnt be buying one of these second hand thats for sure but its pretty cool idea

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
2 Jun 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookaburrahz said..

i laughed at the vented canopy bit for a while untill i saw that it has a self closeing flap. clever little dicks arent they :P but ill be very VERY intrested to see how long it takes for someone to stress that flaps stitching open :) any word on how many hours it took? i wouldnt be buying one of these second hand thats for sure but its pretty cool idea

I've heard that argument more often than I've heard of them being broken...

Lambroast
WA, 177 posts
2 Jun 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Had my 2012 9m Razor since new. Had no problems with the venting flappy bit at all. :) ..
In fact it's been my only kite for most of that time and has taken plenty of punishment with no issues- other that what I caused myself :)

They are a tough kite and the fact that it drags my 110kg ass all round the place is testament to that !

Phil is right in saying it's not a 'park and ride' kite.. Definitely needs to be flown.Which brings the grunt.. And plenty of it :)

If you get the chance definitely take one out for a spin...

Select to expand quote
kookaburrahz said...

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
3 Jun 2014 2:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
samokta said..

So whats new with the 2014/2015 razor. I have a 2013 8 and 10. Great kites.

The usual story you get from the brands. "A few tweaks here & there" - usually means same kite new graphics. I do know for a fact they have tightened up the canopy panels a bit & changed the stitching pattern. Other than that my guess is they are sticking to a winning design. I have only flown the 13/14 model - not the latest release 14/15.
If anyone qualified would like to test the 14 back-to-back with the 15 Id be super keen to provide the kites & hear the outcome.
(u out there Eppo )

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
3 Jun 2014 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Puppet, do you have/sell an ocean rodeo storm? Does anyone in Oz demo. Have been offered a demo deal, but have to go to Vancouver. (which sounds pretty tempting)

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
3 Jun 2014 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

i think mine are 2010 razors, the first ones. hammered them and they are still just holding up. pretty stoked with how long they have lasted, only repair was me dragging it up the path at trigg and getting caught in the wire fence. vents have never torn.
they seem to have gone toward a fly n loop n jump kite, so wont look at them as i want more of a park n ride kite, but in terms of the quality of Ocean rodeo i could not fault them

Deefer
VIC, 117 posts
3 Jun 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

I have a quiver of OR Razors, 7, 10 & 12. The 10's a 2012 that I bought from KAOS because I was looking for a kite with more low down grunt than the rises for a move away from the TT onto a surfboard. Tried the kite loved it and then bought the 7 & 12 when 2013 models were released.

I'll be riding them until OR decides to break what is a great thing, so far they've made only minor cosmetic changes and I say why change something that works so well. They don't suit everyone as people say they do have to be flown and they are definitely not forgiving, I have arm issues and find there is just the right amount of feel for me without too much pressure and as I can't and don't intend to learn to jibe I ride a ****load of toe side without too much issue with the elbows.

In the surf I haven't had the issues with them back stalling if anything I'd say they drift fine as long as you have them setup correctly and you don't depower them too much! I reckon they only accept a small amount of depower before their flying characteristics are upset. I usually allow a couple of inches depower at most and then it's time to downsize.

The big wing tips with the forward sweep are pretty easy to water relaunch and self landing in high winds is bullet proof.

The flappy vents have been an OR thing for years and having ridden rises before the razors there is no issue with the vents my old rises were testament to that.

It nice to have an alternate to CAB's North and the multitudes.

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
5 Jun 2014 2:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitcho207 said..

Just had delivered 9 & 12m for demo.
Cheers East CC.
Just need some wind now. Has been rubbish for weeks.

Yer, so I finally got out on Monday with the 12m Razor. I guess i'll compare it to the RPM's I currently ride.
Wind conditions were gusty crap'iola 15-25kn Westerly. Very on and off. All my friends were on 17m, but I had a larger board so thought i'd give it a go.
Self launch easy peasy with loads of depower which is good at our gusty launch spot.
Out on the water, as others have said "at the bottom of the wind range the kite needs to be flown". Its not as much park and ride as the RPM.
BUT saying that, its a joy to move around for long periods due to the light bar pressure. Good kite feedback makes it almost automatic keeping the power there and its really fast tight turns.
Tried a few jumps and mini loops but not much happening as its only around 15kn.
Then it picked up to gusty 25kn.
MAN WHAT A BOOSTER.
Its one of those kites that just rip you off the water. Super fun and very big, and at the apex you think your going to go down just as fast, but it has unreal glide and soft landings. Once up it felt like an Edge type glide. I was very impressed. I just wanted to keep jumping.
The kite is very reactive to gusts so wasn't as sure footed as the RPM (which i find good in gusty cond), and at the start I was unsure if I could live with it. But once I got a bit more in tune with it, realized that's where it gets it's snappy boosts from.
Tried some bigger loops and it gives a big nice pull through the loop, but crashed a few more than I would have on the RPM's. It's taking a while to get use to.
It will be good to get it out in better conditions

When I next upgrade....would I buy one

YEP I think so (no affiliation and pay for my own gear)

Kitch

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
5 Jun 2014 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

anyone in the Illawarra area PM me and line up a ride

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
5 Jun 2014 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitcho207 said...
anyone in the Illawarra area PM me and line up a ride

Maybe get a run on the 9 this weekend....

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
5 Jun 2014 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

25kn looks great, but i have to work 12 hours on sunday. not happy.
will see what the other guys think tho.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ocean Rodeo Razor - 2014/15" started by puppetonastring