Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ocean Rodeo Razor 2015

Created by EastCC > 9 months ago, 7 Mar 2015
EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
7 Mar 2015 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

The 2015 Ocean Rodeo Razor is due to be released mid march. The Razor is heading further to the C kite side of the spectrum, with less overall depower over the same sheeting range as other kites in our line up. It has also been redesigned to avoid backing up, a change that allowed the removal of the venturi and further lighten the canopy, helping the kite feel more nimble in the air

Lambroast
WA, 177 posts
7 Mar 2015 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi there east coast,

What do you mean by 'backing up' ?

Cheers

'Roast

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
7 Mar 2015 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambroast said...
Hi there east coast,

Cheers

'Roast

Something to do with mardi gras

loftsofwind
QLD, 226 posts
7 Mar 2015 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

finally an ocean rodeo kite that doesn’t look like it was made in 2005

max_ob
QLD, 185 posts
7 Mar 2015 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambroast said..
Hi there east coast,

Cheers

'Roast

I think he means stalling . . . falling back when unhooking.

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
8 Mar 2015 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

max_ob said...

Lambroast said..
Hi there east coast,

Cheers

'Roast

Thats it max.

The previous Razors and Rise had the venturi to help prevent backstalling. The Razor has a lot of built in angle of attack which makes it a more powerful kite for its size and very reactive to bar input. The venturi vents (first used in 2008 on the Rise) were introduced to help offset some of the negatives of this shape, and allowed the kite to continue to fly forward at a high angle of attack.
OR have redesigned the profile enough to no longer need the venturi. This will give a slightly smaller wind range than previous models, but a lighter and more nimble kite. The previous season razors had a big range.

OR are also heading towards a single front line flagging and moving away from the roll over bridal. The kite still has 4 pulleys but combined with the new bar two will be able to be 'locked'. The new bar will have soft ends and very shortly an updated swivel system, one 52cm size.

Here is the proto we've had for a while.

Personally I think its great OR are mixing it up a bit and not stagnating tweaking every year. The release of the new Flite 10 & 12m kites have allowed them to play more with the razor, and the bar needed soft ends and bit of an update.

Woott
WA, 127 posts
8 Mar 2015 6:12AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome kite. I have a 12 & 7 with a 9 on the way! I use it for everything from unhooked, big air, loops to waves.

2015 bar got heaps better as well. My only gripe is that they still use the same Chickenloop as last 2 years. The CL could be a bit more "open" to hook back in.

matix
34 posts
8 Mar 2015 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

i hope they sort out the depower rope setup. mine freeride bar is hard to pull in depower... looks like the same mechanism as previous years.

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
8 Mar 2015 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
matix said..
i hope they sort out the depower rope setup. mine freeride bar is hard to pull in depower... looks like the same mechanism as previous years.

Are you talking ATB or BTB?

The BTB is hard to depower at times, the same as most BTB trim systems I have tried, but I haven't had any issues with the ATB as yet.

shred
WA, 54 posts
9 Mar 2015 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Below the bar depower can get a bit tricky. I've found that depowering onshore is easiest with a slight downward tug on the rope above the bar first and then pulling down from the cleat. When out on the water, bearing off momentarily takes some load off the trim line and makes depowering easier.

I've been flying the following Ocean Rodeo kites up at Mullaloo in recent weeks: 10m Flite + 8 and 10m Razors (all 2015) - The Flite is a surprisingly efficient, high aspect kite which will get you out on the water in less wind than you would normally expect to be out there.
The new Razors are fast, grunty and built tough. They are lighter than previous years and I did not experience any sense of backstall.
The kites have been flown in recent weeks by some very competent kiters (far better than me) and their comments to me have been very positive.

Anyone wanting to have a go can PM me to set up a demo time up here in the Northern suburbs.

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
11 Mar 2015 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Shred

Here is some more info on the 2015 razors, officially released today:

The 2015 Razor has been redesigned with a bridle lock. The bridle pulley can be locked for a tight snappy feel with less overall depower, reducing the sheeting range.
Unlock the bridles for days that demand the added sheeting range and overall depower modern SLE kites now afford.

Still using the FST again this year and still the settings on the shoulder and wing tips. Arriving shortly and a deal on pre-order atm.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
30 Apr 2015 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

I've got 2 Razors from 2014 (8 , 10 )

Friggin love these kites !!!!!!!

Most under appreciated kites around. Possibly due to being a bit hard to get here in Perth

Good to hear you guys are loving them too

Michael2015
WA, 34 posts
6 May 2015 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
max_ob said..
Lambroast said..
Hi there east coast,

Cheers

'Roast

Hi Max_ob,

I have replied to you regarding Indo. I experience some trouble with sending mails therefor could you let me know if you have found the mail in good order please?,

Many thanks,

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

what is the venturi? have any picks of this?

max_ob
QLD, 185 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

no venturi on the 2015 model.

They are vents that are on the canopy of the 2012 to 2014 model Razors. OR says that it helps that design not stall as much as it would without.

2015 Razor is a new design that OR say does not require the venturi in order to be stall resistant and there removal also makes the kite a bit lighter.

EastCC
QLD, 354 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Here you go. As Max said the venturi have been designed out of the gen5 razors. Speculate as to whether they work or not, but the razors with them fly much better than without I am told.
I have not experienced any backstalling on the 2015 razors.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
12 Jul 2015 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

The correct term is " speed holes "

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ocean Rodeo Razor 2015" started by EastCC