Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Ozone C4 2011 Suggestions

Created by KiloWatt > 9 months ago, 4 Dec 2010
KiloWatt
20 posts
4 Dec 2010 5:03AM
Thumbs Up

Hi everybody!
I'm kiting sice 3 years now with Cab SB12 and 8, I am happy with the gear but would like to split for something faster.... I am doing basically big jumps, back and front roll but I started some unhooked.
I am interest in Ozone's C4 2011 and I would like to have impression expecially about thei relounch capability and low end that I understand less solid than SB.....

thanks, ciao

KiloWatt

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Dec 2010 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kilowatt,

C4 is no more difficult to relaunch than you SB.

In terms of power, probably about the same as a SB but the power works differently. A SB isn't a performance kite and is targeted at beginner to lower end of intermediate kiters. It has power on tap, ie, pull on the bar and there is ample power to get you going. I call this static grunt, ie you don't need to have speed or technique to bring the power. this suits beginners and intermediates.

The C4 is a performance kite designed for intermediate kiters to advanced riders. It is super easy to ride, is stable and quick, smooth and depowers well. It also has high end performance if you know how to get it. High end riders don't want power on tap as they go for handle passes and flippity spinny tricks, they need no power, but they do need power to get the speed for the pop which gives them height and then no power.

Power from a C4 comes from speed, you want the power, ride fast and it has the same grunt as a SB. Difference is when riding fast, you stomp the tail of the board which loads the lines and forces the kite forward in the wind window towards neutral, this allows a second of power in the loading to gibve good pop and height and then no power as the kite hits neutral and begins to drop back whilst the trick is being performed, the power comes back on as the trick is landed.

The C4 is a very sophisticated kite design and suits riders who know what they are doing. Many less experienced riders demo one and pull in on the bar expecting to feel power and go. They then say the kite is less powerful than their SB or whatever. If they had the skills, they would find the power and love it.

Every kite is different, match the kite to the expectations of the rider and you have some explosive potential. This is why I take sales in my shop so seriously.

DM

WhooshkA
WA, 46 posts
5 Dec 2010 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kilowatt, here’s my two bob...

I bought a 2011 9m C4 and I am very happy with it. It's my second kite, after a 2009 Flow. I have only been kiting for a couple of seasons as well - back rolls (and bankrolls), jumps, air transitions, hooked pop toe side etc - and started unhooking too.

As for low end, well at first I thought I wouldn’t go up wind without more power, but I don’t have any trouble. I think the kite sitting further forward in the wind window and being able to move it faster across the wind window helps. It's a fine line though.

As for relaunch, no problem, probably because the inflated leading edge comes around at the end, and the kite sort of pops up on it. Also the mini-bridle probably helps. Don’t worry about re-launch at all.

I consider myself a noviceintermediate rider, who wants to land a handle pass before he's 80, needs all the help and time he can get, and liked the sound track to the C4 video on the Ozone website (and has more money than sense sometimes). So I bought a C4, with a free key ring! Plus I just wanted to have a good go at something very different to see where it takes me, and where I take it...

I might do all I want on my old dusty Flow one day - that will make me wonder why I bought a C4 - and put a grin on my face! But I’m having fun!

Cheers

BTW as the expert said, just fly it faster if you want the power, then slam down the board to pop, or force it to the edge of the window pretty quickly... but thats just my very limited opinion. It feels amazing...!

5 Dec 2010 11:36PM
Thumbs Up

KiloWatt said...

Hi everybody!
I'm kiting sice 3 years now with Cab SB12 and 8, I am happy with the gear but would like to split for something faster.... I am doing basically big jumps, back and front roll but I started some unhooked.
I am interest in Ozone's C4 2011 and I would like to have impression expecially about thei relounch capability and low end that I understand less solid than SB.....

thanks, ciao

KiloWatt

If you have had the SB 12 for a while, then its probably an SB3, not a bad kite to learn on, but turns too slow to progress into the stuff you sound like you are aspiring to. For park and ride and reasonably big jumps its ok, and they relaunch ok.
Low wind relaunch of the IDS 2009 and 2010 kites is not as good as a C4, but just requires techinique and a bit more effort, while last years and this years C4's relaunch super easy in light and strong winds, plus you can reach the front lines if needed (pull one front and opposite back for fast light wind relaunch).

I sell Cabrinha and Ozone and I ride both, as well as have many, many customers that ride Cabs. I would not describe the kite like Darren, and to say that its strictly a beginner to intermediate kite is just not accurate. Keahi won the Corona Classic this year riding Switchblades, Rich Stenning won the Corona Classic mens Masters class too riding Switchblades. Hayden Porter won the big air division on a Switchblade.

However the C4 is a much more reactive and satisfying kite IMO and Ozone have just been in the kitesurfing kites market for less time than Cabrinha, but Ozone has already claimed significant market share and its growing rapidly, because the kites really are very, very good performers. The C4 has a very direct feel, it has NO pulleys and a short compact bridle, and will deliver everything an advanced rider wants and will be able to challenge and inspire a progressing rider like yourself, it will blow you away with its ability for unhooking. Check the video here for some nice riding from Josh and Hayden Porter (with Jacob Goodwin on Slingys)
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/The-Road-to-Merimbula/

Please get back to me or Darren for any more info you need on Ozone kites.

KiloWatt
20 posts
6 Dec 2010 1:11AM
Thumbs Up

thanks all for the clarifications and indications....
yeah! I decide I will get my Ozone C4 in spring.... just after all the snow from French/ Italian mountain melt and my Ozone Frenzy got my snowkiting to upper level

ciao

KiloWatt

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
7 Dec 2010 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I currently ride Edge 2008 - which I love for the high jumps, and float.
Also - really like direct feel, and no pulleys.......light bar pressure.

Mostly ride a twin tip, but now just using a surfboard a bit more.

I want some new kites and am considering either the
SS Rally or the C4........

I like what I hear about the C4 above...... but how does it compare to the Rally.

not really into to kiteloops or wake style.

KiloWatt
20 posts
8 Dec 2010 1:34AM
Thumbs Up

dear Kitepower Australia

I decided to take a 9 and a 13.

Is it possible to your opinion to use just one bar like the 50mm?

thanks

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
8 Dec 2010 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kilowatt,

A 50mm bar may be a bit small, but a 50cm bar would be possible The 9m ships with a 50cm bar and the 13 with a 54cm or thereabouts. The 13 will be fine but you may lose a bit of steering speed.

Cheers,

DM

8 Dec 2010 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

KiloWatt said...

dear Kitepower Australia

I decided to take a 9 and a 13.

Is it possible to your opinion to use just one bar like the 50mm?

thanks

Good choice, the 13M is a great kites and handles like most other brands 10-11M kites, then 9M is wicked in 18-20+ knots and really comes alive at +25knots.
My advice is to get both bars, it will be a bit hard to turn the 13M properly on a 50cm bar that suits the 9M.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
16 Dec 2010 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Buy the 9m C4 2011. Take it out in 30knots. Send it. Watch out for helicopters.
Don't jump unless you're 500m from the beach, you are going to be airborne for a VERY long time.

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Dec 2010 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

wishy said...

Buy the 9m C4 2011. Take it out in 30knots. Send it. Watch out for helicopters.
Don't jump unless you're 500m from the beach, you are going to be airborne for a VERY long time.

Dude! You are sooo gonna lose the plot when the Edges arrive. HaHa! Better enrol for your pilots license and register your kite with a VH- prefix!

DM

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
18 Dec 2010 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Might have to upgrade my 11m to an edge if this Xmas bonus comes through. Huge air is the the raison-d'tre

aahi
QLD, 22 posts
13 Feb 2011 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys,

Can anyone compare the 2011 C4 in sizes 11m & 12m? Mostly interested in differences in power and turning speed. I like to kite with the smallest kite possible and this would be my biggest kite in the quiver. I'm looking for more low end than a switchblade 10m (I've flown 09' & 10') and at least as much as a 09' rebel 11m. My instinct tells me to go for C4 12m but if the 11m has comparable power and is much faster turning, then I may downsize.

Thanks!

Maui

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Ozone C4 2011 Suggestions" started by KiloWatt