Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Royals

Created by Bradools > 9 months ago, 21 Jun 2007
Bradools
VIC, 26 posts
21 Jun 2007 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone know much about or ridden any Royal Kites...in particular the Era. I here the old RRD designer Simone is involved and they look pretty cool. Also any idea if any one in Oz (Perth) stocks these babies?

B

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
21 Jun 2007 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

SOS fremantle.
Give them a call

Bradools
VIC, 26 posts
21 Jun 2007 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah...emailed John @ SOS and he's not get'n em in? Ah well I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere...

meerkat
WA, 644 posts
27 Jul 2007 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Just spoke to Jason Lewis and he is apparently getting them in? seabreeze alias is WOK

prokiterUK
136 posts
27 Jul 2007 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

As far as I know Glascraft Marine in SA were being asked to import them by Simone and Mikael.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
27 Jul 2007 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

i had a go on one of the new royal era's in the holiday, i just gt told to have a play on it and see wat i think. def not a great kite though.

its like any other average bow but its safety system is **** just like the hypertype system that does not work, and it has some weird stupid cleaty thing that bites into the safety rope which will wear it out quick. we ended up having a huge discussion about how many ways that safety can f**k you over wen the **** hits the fan.

the bar looks nice though minus the dodgy safety and its def a good looking kite but personally id choose to spend a lil extra and get a better developed kite.

omg
137 posts
27 Jul 2007 11:28PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the feedback, you are the first one to report who has ridden the kite.

Could you please answer a few further Qs:

1) what size did you ride and how much do you weigh and what's your riding level?

2) was it powerful?

3) turning wise, did it loose power when turning or did it make power when turning?

4) what kite would you prefer for wakestyle riding?

Thanks!

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
29 Jul 2007 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by omg

thanks for the feedback, you are the first one to report who has ridden the kite.

Could you please answer a few further Qs:

1) what size did you ride and how much do you weigh and what's your riding level?

2) was it powerful?

3) turning wise, did it loose power when turning or did it make power when turning?

4) what kite would you prefer for wakestyle riding?

Thanks!

1) i was riding a 10m, it was about 16 - 18 knots, it started on a field on a land board and played in the water abit. i weigh between 76 - 78 depending on lunch and my level is reasonable, i can ride unhooked n am working on passes at the moment.

2) yes it was powerful, its actually got a nice feeling to it aswell, its smoothe to, its similar to a rebel in shape i thought but it has bridles, this is wat put me off because after a few insidents the week before on my waroo i am fed up with them, maybe thats y my first post was so negative

3) it definitly made power wen turning, its got some solid pull behind it, it wud of been nice if i had more time on it though to get tuned into it.

4) c kites.. i spent this holiday in england and i tried a Torch, Vegas, Fuel and the shop guy just told me to try the royal for his interest to see wat people thought. i definitly prefered the fuel, i find with bows wen ur really lit up they pull like tanks and its hard to control your edge and u just end up gaining alot of speed which becomes uncontrolable, i was on a 13m fuel fully lit up, pulled the depower half way and unhooked, it pulls like a machine but u can apply edge and it races forward in the wind so the power is controlable and therefore you can unhook in more powered conditions. The vegas is nice because its got a huge range, great fr wakey stuff but it doesnt loop hard like the fuel and torch does, the torch's shift systems break alot from wat i hear and their bars hole wears through from wat i saw and it doesnt have huge depower on standard but u can put a huge throw on ur bar and that will let it depower, i used a north bar because the trim strap snapped on the torch and the north bar worked fine. fuel is brilliant, didnt find anything better than the fuel for loops, unhooking, power, versatility.. only down side was that its a bit harder to relaunch.

if you want a kite with huge range id say go for the vegas, or i hear that the new cabrinah switchbladed in 08 are full wakestyle kites so it might pay to wait for it.

you should try the royal though, its a nice feeling kite for a bow/SLE kite, better then my waroos anyway. but if u did buy it remove the safety line and that cleat system it has and replace with a free moving 5th line or ride suicide.

Best way to tell is give it a run yourself. they are built in the north factory so it has alot of north quality, very solid construction and looks pimping, it was designed by someone from rrd i think and that explains the dodgy safety ;)

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
6 Aug 2007 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

a distributor in NZ was telling me they re did the bar system so it should be improved now! they tweaked up the kite a bit before releasing. check it out u guys

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Royals" started by Bradools