Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Seat Harness Recommendations/Sore back

Created by rwtaaffe > 9 months ago, 27 Jun 2017
rwtaaffe
NSW, 92 posts
27 Jun 2017 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Am struggling a little with lower back issues and the waist harness is not helping.
Am wondering what seat harness people are using and why?
Any recommendations/info appreciated

Rango
WA, 667 posts
27 Jun 2017 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Take up sup to fix your core.

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
27 Jun 2017 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

NP Gravity, Easy to put on and loose on the legs. I will buy another one once I worn this out.

kitepac81
NSW, 61 posts
28 Jun 2017 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine nitrous hd it's like a seat harness in shorts really comfortable not to expensive in saying that never had a waist harness so can't compare

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
28 Jun 2017 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine vega, ultra lightweight seat, great for high powered riding, if your back is compression related pain, imho a seat won't help, good for hypermobility issues, core strength

Slashrockson
NSW, 126 posts
2 Jul 2017 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..
Dakine vega, ultra lightweight seat, great for high powered riding, if your back is compression related pain, imho a seat won't help, good for hypermobility issues, core strength

I was after a new seat harness after 5 years in a mystic aviator, I tried the vega after a similar recommendation by Cauncy as I wanted a lightweight more minimalist seat harness trying to reduce overall rider weight. Unfortunately with a history of back problems I gave it away after a couple of sessions as I could feel every pull and gust through it which ended up in back pain I had not felt with the aviator, so I went back to it. So consider the amount of padding you may need. I will probably go the avaitor again when I wear the current one out.

Richoa
NSW, 478 posts
3 Jul 2017 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

I have the ion board short harness, nothing really to compare to but they are comfortable for me.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1869 posts
3 Jul 2017 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rwtaaffe said..
Am struggling a little with lower back issues and the waist harness is not helping.
Am wondering what seat harness people are using and why?
Any recommendations/info appreciated

Here are 2 seat harnesses that you should take a good look at to minimize your back problem until youve got yourself better again. No point in upsetting any Re-hab work, it will just prolong your repair - your back is your livelihood..

They are both well supported for lower back area with comfy padding in the "Pinch" areas. The seat locks you in and keeps the hook down as it should, it will feel very restrictive compared to a waist harness but thats the trade off.. having said that, you can kite for longer and hold down more power in a seat harness - great for big air Nuking days.

Ive had the pro-limits previously but now have a Moded Dakine Vega because I wanted a lighter harness for traveling, its not as comfortable as the above two and it really needs more padding across the lower back ridge for strong winds - I wouldnt recomend the vega because of that pinch point.

Check out these links - I wouldnt mind trying the fusion next time round

www.kiterepublic.com.au/product/pro-limit-seat-pro-seat-harness/

The 2016-2017 Dakine fusion seat harness is basically the same.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
3 Jul 2017 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Mystic Supporter I find does just what it's called. Supports you and your back. I used to get a sore back but don't anymore and I found the construction to be a lot better than my Da kine which is falling miserably after not a lot of use.

TomW059
183 posts
5 Jul 2017 6:05AM
Thumbs Up

I was using a seat harness for over 15 years kiting. Had some issues with my hips and pressure on outside, so I went over to a RE waist two seasons, then I started foiling and had a back problem again needed 4 weeks rest. Then I bought a Dakine Fusion seat. It's really comfy kiting with foil, no back strain or hip pressure, but you have to careful bending over when on land because it locks your hips, putting stress on your back. On surfboards I use the RE waist.

omg
275 posts
5 Jul 2017 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

+1 to NP Gravity. Very good, light supportive and what most other seat harnesses don't offer is the freedom with leg straps. Many seat harnesses' leg straps go too low of your front thigh, which makes raising your feet up really difficult/impossible. Gravity doesn't have this problem. And it's light!

I have now bought Brunotti Smartshell Waist and it's really nice for surfboards and big surfboard jumps as well. For foiling I will still use the seat just because it stays put. However, these new hardshell waist harnesses are really good and might be a better option over the seats depending on what's wrong in your back.

EDIT: and yeh, strong core is what helps and posture, don't lie in C-form on the couch etc. but keep your lower back straight. Also butt and thigh muscle flexibility is one part of the fix.

Good luck.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 947 posts
7 Jul 2017 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hi rwtaafe,

I too am a chronic back pain sufferer and have used primarily waist harnesses because I just cant justify the reduction of flexibility that seats offer. If you surf or do freestyle, I would strongly recommend dropping into your local Ride Engine stockist and having a chat with them.

After a prolonged absence from kiting due to really bad back pain (seeing Physio's regularly and living on anti-inflammatories) I just got back in the water in Mauritius for a 2 week surf kiting adventure. I used the Ride Engine and at the end of the week, my back felt better than at the start of the holiday. Epic win!

Back problems are very individual so do your own research and investigate. It may help you without having to resort to the dreaded seat harness.

No disrespect to seat harness users, they work great for lawn mowers, racers and boosters.

DM

BigZ
170 posts
7 Jul 2017 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

I have a chronic joint pain including back due to the form of rhemautoid arthritis. Ridengine harness gives me extra couple of hours every session compared to other harnesses I used. Without sounding to dramatic it helped not to give up kiteboarding ..

Plummet
4862 posts
8 Jul 2017 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Thing about a rigid or semi rigid harness. That may provide more back support than a seat harness.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
8 Jul 2017 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said..
Hi rwtaafe,

I too am a chronic back pain sufferer and have used primarily waist harnesses because I just cant justify the reduction of flexibility that seats offer. If you surf or do freestyle, I would strongly recommend dropping into your local Ride Engine stockist and having a chat with them.

After a prolonged absence from kiting due to really bad back pain (seeing Physio's regularly and living on anti-inflammatories) I just got back in the water in Mauritius for a 2 week surf kiting adventure. I used the Ride Engine and at the end of the week, my back felt better than at the start of the holiday. Epic win!

Back problems are very individual so do your own research and investigate. It may help you without having to resort to the dreaded seat harness.

No disrespect to seat harness users, they work great for lawn mowers, racers and boosters.

DM

well said, harnesses are an personal choice, what works for one doesnt mean itll work for another, my lower spine carnt handle too much movement , hyperflex, the dakine vega gives a very locked feel, but very limited on movement, toe side riding on a standard spreader bar makes that very apparent, imho people who suffer with compression may prefer a waist,its similar with pads n straps, what feel good in a shop is very different on the water with the force of your kite,

Plummet
4862 posts
23 Jul 2017 3:02AM
Thumbs Up

Have been out a couple of time recently in some pretty silly conditions and marveled on how much back support my hardshell harness is giving me. I've had some back pain recently. I think poor posture at work. The only time I haven't had back pain is when i'm kiting wearing the harness!

I say test some hardshells out if you can.

Unhooked Wtrspts
NSW, 7 posts
31 Jul 2017 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

I found the flying objects combo was quite good when i had a sore back for a few weeks. It sits high same position as a waist but is a seat.

5 Sep 2017 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Ive had back surgery and cant use a waist harness anymore, I've used the pro limit seat harness but i currently use the Ion B2 with a dyna bar and love it .
Have fun
George

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
5 Sep 2017 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine Fusion, its that good I want to buy a spare one even though I won't need to for years.
It's like a waist with leg straps and great comfort and support.
My last one was Mystic Aviator it wore out and broke in no time.

TomW059
183 posts
7 Sep 2017 12:54AM
Thumbs Up

I've used the Fusion for 20 foil sessions and one surfboard session. Last 3 foil sessions I went back to the RE waist harnesse. I have to admit, the RE is better overall. I do think the Fusion seat helps during first sessions after back rehab, but it's super restricting otherwise, and overall stress on the back is no different.

pepeman
SA, 114 posts
7 Sep 2017 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TomW059 said..
I've used the Fusion for 20 foil sessions and one surfboard session. Last 3 foil sessions I went back to the RE waist harnesse. I have to admit, the RE is better overall. I do think the Fusion seat helps during first sessions after back rehab, but it's super restricting otherwise, and overall stress on the back is no different.

I think go the seat after back issues and take it easy for a while.
Waist harnesses give me back issues but we are all different.
Iv'e got the Nitrous shorts too they don't cause me any grief.
Do the physio and get your core strength up.

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
28 Sep 2017 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
What ever seat/boardshort you end up in, make sure
You get a sliding bar, ie Dakine maniac or dyna bar
I use the Nitrous shorts with the maniac and I have the LF shorts with the dyna bar.
No more lower back pain. The LF is slightly more comfortable for me.
Good luck and get out there!

Jhana
WA, 120 posts
30 Sep 2017 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Unhooked Wtrspts said..
I found the flying objects combo was quite good when i had a sore back for a few weeks. It sits high same position as a waist but is a seat.

I also have a Flying Objects Combo ($245), I am very happy with it, it gives me a lot of solid support in the lower back. The back plate is solid it is not flexible which I like, I used a flexible back plate previously but I didn't get the support I wanted.

The straps and adjustments are very easy to adjust - fits like a glove.

Mark50
NSW, 166 posts
16 Oct 2017 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Nitrous shorts and a Dynabar! Super comfortable. Would never go back to a waist harness, just too hard on my back.

bjw
NSW, 3566 posts
18 Oct 2017 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

I posted this in a separate thread but I had bad back issues from a Dakine and used a Mystic X Majestic (Carbon) which seemed to stop the issue. Super comfy.

NorthernKitesAUS
QLD, 1059 posts
18 Oct 2017 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

Some really useful links and videos on strengthening back and core muscles. SUP is also very good for this. Highly recommended. www.elainestevenson.com.au/kite_downloads.html

spartacus
NSW, 121 posts
20 Oct 2017 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thumbs up for Nitrous shorts & Dynabar for foiling and on surfboard.
I go back to waist harness for TT.

Alysum
NSW, 1024 posts
20 Oct 2017 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Dakine Nitrous shorts...Look no further....WAY more comfortable and more movements than the fusion seat harness I had before.

And yes sliding rope for toe-side, especially on surfboard.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Seat Harness Recommendations/Sore back" started by rwtaaffe