VIC, 21 posts
7 Oct 2011 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Weight:76kg
Level: Advanced
Style: Freestyle
Disclosure: In The Loop team rider
My Comments:

I've been riding the Spleene SP-X (7,9,10.5,12 and 14.5 ) for around 6 months through Melbourne's winter and previously rode the Hadlow Pro. For those of you that haven't heard of the SP-X prior to this, I would compare these kites to that of the Ozone C4 but with a bit more grunt.

The first thing you notice as soon as you put the kite in the air, is its low bar pressure and smoothness, which allows you to stay out on the water without sacrificing your arms.The kite's very agile in the air even with a bridle and quickly screams back up to the zenith after a kiteloop. The kite doesn't have a center strut, which gives it a lot of pull through the loops.

Having so much de-power I've been riding my 9 in what i would usually being rigging up my 7 for. You definitely have to put up a bigger size then what you usually would rig. Boosting in big winds, the kite has huge vertical boost and a slow decent. I've been going a lot bigger with these kites primarily because I feel as if i can push them to their limits without getting worked myself, which I was with the Hadlows.

The kite practically relaunches itself, but it's essential to pump the kite to its recommended pressure because of the cleared central strut.

When unhooking the kite doesn't rip your arms off like a lot of bridled kites, it gives you a solid reliable pull throughout the whole trick. Having an uncluttered and relatively large chicken loop, makes it easy to hook in straight after a trick.

The bar has a solid feel, with all the essentials and without any unnecessary clutter. My favorite feature would have to be the spinning mechanism in the chicken loop allowing you to untangle your lines after each trick. The kite flags off onto one center line, but is probably better rigged on a suicide (depending on your riding level)

The SP-X is a great versatile kite, which has helped my riding over the last few months a lot. The kites able to cater for all levels and most disciplines of kitesurfing.

Heres a clip with me riding the SP-X for a little bit

Cheers Harry !

JY77
QLD, 79 posts
8 Oct 2011 12:32AM
Thumbs Up

Nice write-up Harry, I have been riding the 9m and 15m QX for the last 3 weeks and so far have been very impressed with the feel and speed of the Kite. I really love the air time I am getting yeww. The confidence I get out of riding it encourages me to push myself and hence progress quicker. The only thing I have found I haven't gotten used to is the safety twisting around the lines, and relaunching once I let go of the handle whilst leash is hooked onto the 5th line. I have also been riding the 135 RS spleene board and have not used my Lauz since. Love this boad.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Spleene SP-X" started by harryhayes