Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight,Level 90kgs advanced
Style: Freeriding, Surf,
Weather: 18-20 knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: I designed the thing...
My Comments:

Well the new 2015 model is out we have had some reasonable seabreezes in Perth so I thought I would give some feed back for those inrterested in this board and possibly having read the reviews from last year asking themselves, what possibly could have changed on this board,
A few guys have given me the feed back " dont change anything, but maybe the colour of the rails", OK so the rails were changed to lighter colours, I admit the black rails were getting real hot in the sun.
Next the thickness of the board has come down to 1 3/4" where last years board had a bit over 2" in the thickest spot, with the reduction of thickness, the shape of the deck has flattend out slightly.
The rails in the middle section of the board have also been dropped by about 1/3, so the board makes a slimmer impression just comparing to last years model.
The front pad has been extended by 5cm forward for the strapless riders also the front footstrap inserts have moved 3cm forward, which means the most forward insert on last years board, is now the central insert on the 2015.
The outline, bottom concave and rockerline, fin placement have all stayed exactly the same.

Almost forgot to mention the fin boxes are now glassed over, this was also an issue for a few people last year.

So what does all this mean? and how have the changes influeced the board, in truth, not so much and not radicaly, if I had last years board, there would be no great reason to change it over, but it is noticable, that the 2015 board feels slightly diffrant.

There is a smoother ride, the rail does not bounce as much when putting the edge down, you cant feel the slightly lower position due to less board thickness, but again it feels like there is more control and security to it,

The ballance has just changed to the point where it almost feels perfect, I have been riding the new 5'6" strapless over the last two weeks and thought, weel no need to do any evaluation on the 5'10", but the experience to me was still profound, like putting on the compfy pair of old slippers and then when you crank into the wave face you think some one has poured in some steriods.

dafish
NSW, 1336 posts
16 Oct 2014 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

Ah, good news Ray. You have addressed my two main concerns, rail color (black) and the fin boxes. I have had to reglass over all of them and reset one. But the board is still amazing and I am enjoying it more than ever. From 1 foot to 6 foot plus this board rocks. Look forward to checking your latest when this one is beat to death.
What sort of fin flex are you using this year. I really loved the stiff multi bamboo carbon ones over the more flexible ones, seems to work better for me. I have to say this one more time, this board is pretty damn amazing.

tomme
VIC, 475 posts
16 Oct 2014 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Looks good!

Anyone in Vic looking at one?

SugarQube
WA, 486 posts
16 Oct 2014 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
Ah, good news Ray. You have addressed my two main concerns, rail color (black) and the fin boxes. I have had to reglass over all of them and reset one. But the board is still amazing and I am enjoying it more than ever. From 1 foot to 6 foot plus this board rocks. Look forward to checking your latest when this one is beat to death.
What sort of fin flex are you using this year. I really loved the stiff multi bamboo carbon ones over the more flexible ones, seems to work better for me. I have to say this one more time, this board is pretty damn amazing.

Hi Marco, I wasnt realy happy with the bamboo carbon fins, which I felt were too stiff or the soft plastic fins from last year, I suspect they didnt have as much glass in them as the manufacturer stated.
I have sourced some for the 2015 board which are fairly stiff and mostly only flex in the tip. they are 70% glass and 30% nylon
Although I suspect you ride extremly hard from what you discribe with what happend to the fin boxes, and like the stiffer fins.
I have only managed to lose one box from directly hitting a reef in Indo last year, all the others were OK At least the board wont take in any water with the Polyurethane blank, and can be fixed to be as new again

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
16 Oct 2014 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Any available to demo in NSW?

SugarQube
WA, 486 posts
16 Oct 2014 1:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EnglishCraig said..
Any available to demo in NSW?

I have sent a couple to NSW but there are no shops stocking the boards in NSW yet, its like I have to prove that the product sells then some one is willing to put some money down and stock them in their shop and then the price goes up etc etc. alot of stuff gets sold on reputation alone, the mag does a write up, or a team rider says " these are the shizzle, man" and the punters stream in, so until that time its a roll of the dice for the uninitiated

James01
QLD, 275 posts
16 Oct 2014 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube,

How do you go about ordering. Looks good.

Cheers

SugarQube
WA, 486 posts
17 Oct 2014 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
James01 said..
SugarQube,

How do you go about ordering. Looks good.

Cheers

Just have a look here:

www.sugarqube.com.au/index.php/kiteboards/kite-surfboard

the picture is still of the 2014 model, same shape though

There is also a 5'6" model, I will write a review shortly, its a diffrent outline, rockerline fin placement etc. more of a total strapless skate board like feel

Poida
WA, 1733 posts
17 Oct 2014 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

i want to try/buy one soon
is it possible to get a kick pad on the rear of the board?

SugarQube
WA, 486 posts
17 Oct 2014 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Poida said..
i want to try/buy one soon
is it possible to get a kick pad on the rear of the board?

No problem, did one of the 5'6" boards yesterday

Jonopark
WA, 389 posts
27 Oct 2014 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

Geez Ray, I already have too many boards! Like to try the 5'6 asap!

dafish
NSW, 1336 posts
28 Oct 2014 7:29AM
Thumbs Up

You need to get back in the water first Jonno, and take it a little easy until you are back in form....then blaze on the new board! I nearly buckled my cube the other day landing pretty hot, but it held like a champ. (maybe subconsciously I am trying to bust it to preempt my purchase for the new one!) Either way, I will have the new model by Christmas.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Sugarqube 2015 5'10" Bamboo Wave board" started by SugarQube