Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Suicide on the new Ozone Bar

Created by zarb > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2015
zarb
NSW, 620 posts
9 Jan 2015 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

At the moment I'm running the old Ozone pull-safety bar, and was considering upgrading to the push away. I like my current system where it depowers the kite quite a bit if you drop the bar while unhooked and clipped in to the centre safety, but still being able to recover from it.

However, I noticed the new bars runs the same suicide system as other manufacturers. When you drop the bar, does it depower the kite whatsoever?

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
10 Jan 2015 6:03AM
Thumbs Up

Just the bar throw

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
10 Jan 2015 10:05AM
Thumbs Up

Riding "suicide on the new bar with the push away, depowers the kite by the same amount as the old pull towards release system bars.
BUT there is a big difference in safety or flagging options.
On the old system if you are clipped into the centre ring, you cannot flag the kite in an emergency, you would need to do as you say, but I can assure you thats not going to be possible in a situation where the kite is fully loaded and you need to make a split second decision. That system should be used by advanced riders only and only if they are aware of the liability.
The new system allows you to ride suicide, and unhook for freestyle or waves, same as the old system, without the risk of losing you kite if you miss a bar pass or get eaten by a wave. However the new system (like many others on the market) allows the rider to fully flag and depower the kite to one front line while hooked in, simply by operating the primary push away safety.
Definitely worth the upgrade if you are planning on keeping your bar and just upgrading kites, or even planning to continue to use you current older kites for a season or two longer.

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
11 Jan 2015 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

Zarb - I am happy with the old bar and just replaced my old worn one with another (new) old bar at a good discount on price.

Suicide fix photo coming up....

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
11 Jan 2015 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
13 Jan 2015 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Bene13 and Zarb

While thats a simple solution if you don't do any rotations its very definitely not a good solution if you do rotations because the flagging line will wrap around the top of the chicken loop, and I'm a bit concerned that the leash could get in the way of the pull toward you quick release, especially as you try to untwist your flagging line and front lines.

The new push away Megatron allows you to ride suicide and spin your head off, because the flagging line is inside the centre of the push away release, spinning does not affect it at all, other than twists in your front lines, which can be easily untwisted by hand as you ride.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
13 Jan 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

The new push away is very clean release system.
I think it depowers a tiny bit as the slider ring slides down to the centre point of the chicken loop.
Can't say it's something I have really noticed though.

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
13 Jan 2015 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

I don't see the point in that.
How is it any better than the metal ring? If you've dropped the bar, the chickenloop isn't near you anyway, so if things go bad you'd still just double release?

Gone to dark side
NSW, 379 posts
14 Jan 2015 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

I changed over to the new system for a couple of reasons 1 so much easer to twist out crossed lines . 2 a good chunky safety.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Suicide on the new Ozone Bar" started by zarb