Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Switch Kites

Created by Sangas > 9 months ago, 21 May 2014
Sangas
VIC, 66 posts
21 May 2014 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

What's everyone's experience with the latest Switch kites?

Most reviews I can find are either heavily biased or from a couple of years ago when they first started up. Seems they had some problems with the early models but I'm interested to hear first hand how the recent kites go.

Plummet
4862 posts
21 May 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

I haven't flown them. But they look better and seem to spend less time crashing in the water than the older models.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 May 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Had a Nitro3 14m for demo for a couple of weeks in March... my only bias is being grateful for a demo that cost me nothing more than a few bucks shipping it back to Switch HQ.

This video sums up my thoughts pretty well - gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1580/page/345/

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
21 May 2014 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sangas said...
[br]What's everyone's experience with the latest Switch kites?

Most reviews I can find are either heavily biased or from a couple of years ago when they first started up. Seems they had some problems with the early models but I'm interested to hear first hand how the recent kites go.

a mate is riding the Combat 2 and he likes them (was riding torches)
my old nitro1 is still going it floats about between mates as a spare.

ROSS1BRO
62 posts
22 May 2014 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

Really interested to know as well. Looking to replace my 2012 zeph with maybe 16m nitro Have tried 2013 zeph & love it, am I going to be disappointed & thinking should have stayed with what I know. Weigh 90 kg.
Thanks Rosco

blueprint
WA, 321 posts
22 May 2014 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

As with all kites if you can it's best to demo, their demo page is down at the moment but if you email them with location and what you are looking at they'll get back to you with contacts for a team guy.

my experience of them is that they are well made (others will of course argue but there is nothing sloppy about the construction) and like everything how you feel about the way they fly will vary. The guys on the Nitro 3 pretty much rave about them, but that doesn't mean much. Try and demo if you can then you can be sure of what you are getting.

And yes, I'm a team guy, only have Elements though.

TimAus
NSW, 18 posts
22 May 2014 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sangas & Ross1bro (and all other interested readers...)
As way of introduction, so i don't get flamed as a first time poster, I'm a Sydney kiter, started in winter 2012 on 2010 Cabrinha Crossbows (10m & 13m). Gave the 10m away and got a 2012 10m Ozone Reo. Sold the 13m and bought a 13m Switch Element v2. Partner kites on 2009 9m Naish Cult and 2010 7m Naish Helix. Upgraded the Helix for a 6m Switch Nitro v3 and recently bought a Switch Element v2 9m for when the Cult has its last landing. I also have 2013 Ozone Edges in 10m and 17m. I ride twin tip, surf and raceboard (badly.).

Having said all that, opinions are still like a**holes, everyone has one.

I rate the Switch kites pretty highly on both quality and flying characteristics. My view is probably a bit distorted as i was pretty hard on my gear when first learning, and since getting the switches, i haven't abused them quiet as hard, but still give them the occasional good flogging. The Element v3 flies relatively comparable to the Reo. Slightly less drift, but slightly 'easier' upwind. I say easier, as one local on reo's just smokes upwind, i haven't quiet learnt how to finesse the Reo like that yet. Only problem i had with the element was the inflate valve separated from the bladder. Switch had a replacement to me, free of charge in 2days, so i suspect it was a known manufacturing fault. Other wise i would say the kite is in good condition considering amount of use (on average 3 days a week over summer). The inflate valve does not have a neoprene cover, so care needs to be taken when packing that it won't damage the canopy (there is a reinforcing patch in that area and the nitro v3 has a cover, so suspect the element v3 soon to be released will).

The Nitro we have only had out a handful of times and still getting dialled in. Similar to the edges, being a higher aspect kite it is a different beast to fly compared with the reo/element/cult.

The cult is actually my favorite kite to fly and i think has served wonderfully for my partner to learn on, only draw back is the stupid octopus inflate system. Touch wood, it hasn't failed on the cult, but has on the helix. An absolute PITA to try and fix and completely stupid that a strut leak takes out the leading edge with it...

Feel free to ask any more specific questions you may have.

Cheers,
Tim

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
22 May 2014 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

I've had the Method V2 for a while now, it's solidly made, perhaps a bit too heavy for a wave kite in some respects. Was pretty happy with the 9m method, had great range, good grunt for its size and flew nicely. The 7m and 11m I never quite got to like for various reasons. The controller 1 was an absolute abortion of a bar, poorly made and dubious safety characteristics apparently controller 2 fixes that. They lost me on my experience with their warranty team though, lots of promises and in the end nothing but hot air. Going back to the mainstream brands next season.

ROSS1BRO
62 posts
22 May 2014 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Another kite I have is 2010 13m edge which I also think is a cool kite but **** when the power band kicks in, especially in chop it can get pretty hectic if I'm not on my game, so tend to fly the zeph to it's upper limits then go to 10 cat. The Nitro V3 is going to have to get me going in 12 kn (tt) boost at 13-18 hold it down to 20ish & not give too much grief, what do ya reckon?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
22 May 2014 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

I don't ride switch kites , but have had sessions on the nitros mark 1 2 and 3, great build quality and stable powerfull kites, very good value, the 1st issue bar was a bit iffy IMHO, most of the naggers of this brand have never flown them, I'd put them up there in quality and ride alongside some of the better known brands, a standout rider here uses them and gives them a hard time, I've not seen any kite related issues

ROSS1BRO
62 posts
22 May 2014 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

Ozone bar works sweet I hear. Got a mate with a 10 so definitely not worried about build

ROSS1BRO
62 posts
22 May 2014 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

How much bottom end do ya reckon I would sacrifice by getting a 16m nitro v3 as apposed to a 2013 zeph?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
22 May 2014 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ROSS1BRO said...
How much bottom end do ya reckon I would sacrifice by getting a 16m nitro v3 as apposed to a 2013 zeph?

Not all big kites make a god light wind option and the nitro is a good example, a local has a 16 mk 2 buts it's bottom end is a fair way off the zephyr, the kites design is one factor along with a heavier construction, some brands stop at a 12 and 14 mtr and the is a reason , if your on the lighter side though it'll help

ROSS1BRO
62 posts
23 May 2014 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Yeah thanks Chauncey that's what I am worried about, at 89 kg I think I'll stick with what I know. No demos in broome unless someone has one.
Cheers

Sangas
VIC, 66 posts
23 May 2014 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the useful info, everyone. It's been very helpful and has taken away a lot of the unknowns I had about the brand.

I'm looking at getting a 13m Element and using it with my Airush bar, which Switch have will work fine.
Can anyone give me a guess of a comfortable bottom end of a 13 on a 136x40 tt. I'm 75kgs.

blueprint
WA, 321 posts
23 May 2014 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

You should be well powered at 15kts and probably have a bit of bottom below that, you definitely won't get 10kts but somewhere between likely closer to 15 than 10.

Not sure which airush bar you have as they seem year to year and even between models to have differences in geometry, if it has low split in front lines should give similar geometry to the switch bar, the old airush 4 line bars had a higher split which MAY (I'm not sure if it will) cause some differences in performance to the switch geometry. (though if they've told you that I'd trust them).

Elements are really fun kites to fly, good luck.

Doug Jerrems
NSW, 11 posts
1 May 2015 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

I recently bought an Element 3 (11M). Up until then I have flown Airush Lithiums. I have only had the Element out a few times but can give you some feedback. The Element 11m has about the same power as my Lithium 10m. I flew the Element with my Airush bar. It will work fine with the low Y or higher Y versions.

Two things that I noticed about the E 11 were that it needs the bar to have all lines even length and it seems to fly better on the furthest out wingtip setting.

My Airushes are less likely to stall with the centre lines a bit longer than the outside lines and in fact this set up gives them more grunt. The E11 doesn't feel comfortable with that same bar line length but it is fine with all lines the same (but less powerful).

The E 11 comes with the pigtails on the outside setting on the wingtips. I made the mistake of moving them into the centre position. The result was that at the bottom of a dive, when diving the kite, it felt like it wanted to stall. I will be moving the pigtails out again because this didn't seem to happen on the outside setting.

The Element is very well made. I like the large inlet valve. The price is about half that of a Lithium. It took 5 days to arrive.

Overall, I would say that comparing the Element and the Lithium, the Element feels less powerful (with less bar pressure) but is comfortable when set up correctly.

I am an older kiter who basically mows the lawn and comfort and simplicity are my basic requirements.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
20 May 2015 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

"I had a $2300 17 Ozone Edge and the kite fell apart Split right down the middle just landing it??????" REALLY!!!!!

I find that hard to believe.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
20 May 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
"I had a $2300 17 Ozone Edge and the kite fell apart Split right down the middle just landing it??????" REALLY!!!!!

I don't.

skywalker3d
VIC, 228 posts
20 May 2015 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

I don't either.

roundguts
NSW, 33 posts
20 May 2015 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

Had a 9m edge that i destroyed,powerful kite but
absolutely
pissweak build.Bought a 10 m nitro 4,to replace it,
took it out of
the box at my local and the bladder was twisted and
had to be refitted,Wasn't too happy.Pretty good kite
but personally i don't think its got anywhere near
the grunt of the edge but in saying that it is a much
heavier build so that sffects the performance.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
20 May 2015 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
roundguts said..
absolutely
took it out of

Completely different style of kite.

Plummet
4862 posts
21 May 2015 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Its simple.

You have robust at one end of the spectrum and high performance at the other

Robust..........................................................................................................................................high performance.

Choose where you want to be on the spectrum and buy a kite that suits those needs.
You can't have super strong and super high performance. You can't add strength without increasing weight. Increased weight decreases performance.

People that winge about the edge simply purchased a kite that was too high performance for their needs. They always say. It was a great kite but i broke it.... the new kite not as good but stronger....

I love my edges and don't have any problems with the quality or robustness.

Alysum
NSW, 1025 posts
21 May 2015 2:18PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting post bump up....

To go back to the topic, I have 3 kites (Element 3 and Helium) and love them all ! The only thing I don't like is the Controller 2 bars.

roundguts
NSW, 33 posts
21 May 2015 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

Kamikuza i don't think i stated anywhere they are the same style
of kite,i said i replaced the edge with the nitro.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
21 May 2015 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Alysum said..

To go back to the topic, I have 3 kites (Element 3 and Helium) and love them all ! The only thing I don't like is the Controller 2 bars.

What's up with the controller 2 ?

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
21 May 2015 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

roundguts said..
absolutely
took it out of

Completely different style of kite.

Alysum
NSW, 1025 posts
21 May 2015 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
toppleover said..

Alysum said..

What's up with the controller 2 ?

Heavy, uncomfortable on the hands after an hour, de power ball swings around all the time, chicken loop is huge. Nothing like the Cabrinha bars which are so refined

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 May 2015 8:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said...
Its simple.

You have robust at one end of the spectrum and high performance at the other

Robust..........................................................................................................................................high performance.

Choose where you want to be on the spectrum and buy a kite that suits those needs.
You can't have super strong and super high performance. You can't add strength without increasing weight. Increased weight decreases performance.

People that winge about the edge simply purchased a kite that was too high performance for their needs. They always say. It was a great kite but i broke it.... the new kite not as good but stronger....

I love my edges and don't have any problems with the quality or robustness.

Then why would they change the le material if the wasn't issues, I've had all models since the edge was released and all have had issues , all within 100mm of bridal attatchment points, my 9 has 5 repairs with hardly getting wet, I'd say the pressure put on these bridal points was the issue, never had a drama on my 7 in each model always the 9 to 11 I've owned, had a few sessions back on the edges recently bloody sweet kite none the less , also don't advertise it as freeride race, mow lawn race maybe

Plummet
4862 posts
22 May 2015 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Ok fair point. I was being simplistic. Technology change can bring additional strength without adding weight. So moving to a newer stronger material makes sense.

The irony is that I get good duration from my edges. You have to keep an eye on the stitching wear when drag launching on sand. Otherwise they last a long time.... too long. I sold my 2010 13m last year to replace it with a 2012 model i got for cheap. The 2010 was still going great guns. It has a small leak in the bladder i couldnt be ****ed finding. Other than that it could have done another season or 2... 5 years for a kite is awesome.

Brohan
VIC, 528 posts
22 May 2015 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'd really like to know how the Method 2 goes in the waves if anyone has any feedback about it. I was thinking of getting new Reo's or Neo's but I could get two switch kites for the price of one new Reo/Neo. But if they're not the best I'd rather spend the extra $$.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Switch Kites" started by Sangas