windtzu
93 posts
30 Dec 2015 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 158 lbs - 70 kg
Level (intermediate-advanced)
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 30 plus knots

I just picked up a 2014 7 m Airush Wave to compliment my 9 m Wave.

Also have a 2013 Airush Varial x 6m, but there's was just a little too much gap between it and the 9m Wave.

Knowing there will be days when the 7m Wave will uncomfortably big on my surfboard and my weight...35 plus, I thought about keeping the 6m Varial x. That kite handles into the thirties just fine, but after riding the Wave and even the bigger Lithiums, I don't enjoy the Varial so much on a wave board and in waves. By design it shoots to the front of the window and not ideal. It's a nice freestyle kite though.

My thoughts, I came across a 5m nearly new Lithium for sale. Having a 12 m and 9 m, I'm familiar with them. I do like the plug and play and docility, this may be better for really high winds.

Anyone's thoughts on a 5 m Lithium as a high wind kite? I'm guessing like the larger Lith's they tend to fly "bigger" size for size, at least compared to the Waves. So the 5 m Lithium may be like a "big 5" bringing it closer to the 6 m Varial in terms of lower wind range.

My only concern @ 5 m, as with the big Lithium's, is top end. They tend to top out much sooner. I'm wondering if this is the right way to go for let's say 30-35 plus conditions.

Thanks!

castill0jf
VIC, 552 posts
31 Dec 2015 2:13AM
Thumbs Up

i have a 6 2012 Lithium for wave riding on 30 + You will notice the kite will not drift as good like any waves kites. It turns fast and pulls very well but if you leave it unattended it will drop quick. cheers

windtzu
93 posts
31 Dec 2015 12:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
castill0jf said..
i have a 6 2012 Lithium for wave riding on 30 + You will notice the kite will not drift as good like any waves kites. It turns fast and pulls very well but if you leave it unattended it will drop quick. cheers

Ok so it's like the bigger Lithiums. Hmm, that shouldn't be an issue. I just want something to get out on those silly it's almost too windy to kite days, and perhaps just cruise.

The Varial x 6m "drifts" perhaps a little better than the Lithium, but it's always shooting to the front of the window after a turn and sits there and until I transition again...Shooting to the front of form the other side. I get used to it, but I have to pay attention to the kite more than I want to. Hanging back a little, that's what's nice about both the Wave and the Lithium. The Wave is nice that sense, it goes where ever you want it to and always seems to be in the right place.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Thoughts about a small Airush Lithium 5 meter" started by windtzu