Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Tough as Nails Surf Board Suggestions

Created by sonny2727 > 9 months ago, 30 Aug 2017
sonny2727
VIC, 153 posts
30 Aug 2017 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys
I have North Wam 5.8 surfboard as my only board as I don't ride TT. Now considering a high wind 25kt plus surf board that's good for boosting and tough construction so wont ding as I'm learning to boost. I was specifically told not to use north SB for jumping when I bought it second hand...any suggestions for SB that's not too pricey....this is for bay chop and occasional small waves...

mazdon
1196 posts
30 Aug 2017 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

hi sonny

i've been through the wringer snapping and caving in all sorts of kite brand specific (and custom) surf boards, of most construction types over the years. there really is no silver bullet.

now are you talking about strapless boosting, or chucking straps on and letting rip?
north boards can be ok for strapped style of riding, but it really only takes one hottish landing from a big boost eg. half into a trough or crest in chop, to render any construction type fallible. specially if you have heavy feet like myself. ive snapped just as many doing 1-1.5m off water strapless punts and coming down a little hot too....

a board you might want to consider is something like the old kipuna (I think the axis new wave is the recent incarnation), that has paulownia rails, pvc core and a recessed deck. there are some forum users that have been riding them for years and swear on the durability - but I couldn't say first hand. pvc hasn't been particularly kind to me over the years.
a mutant TT might get you the durability with boosting strapped in the conditions that you described - might need to demo though as mutants are super rider preference...but the positive will be you'll also finally have a tt for flat water riding (just adjust fins) and you'll learn how to jump probably more efficiently.
neither of these ride how I like on waves, but that might not be your requirement anyhow - so continue to think about it and demo if possible.

my 2 cents though: if I were you I would chuck the straps on the 2nd hand wam and ride it til you kill it, whilst also saving money for that next "silver bullet" and demo'ing as much as possible in the meantime

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
30 Aug 2017 4:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sony,

The North Quest TT surfboard could be the silver bullet you are looking for. Super tough construction and cheap to buy. Having said that, we didn't have a single claim for broken North surfboards all last season, not even a rolled finbox or cracked rail and that includes the Pro construction boards.

Have a look also at the Delta Re-Vamp surfboards coming this season, haven't heard of any of those breaking either.

DM

mazdon
1196 posts
30 Aug 2017 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DM
Can you point me towards the construction detail of the quest? I am curious about it.
it says TT obviously, but the north website just mentions cork and bamboo as per the other directionals. doesn't show a cross section either... is it actually the carbon beam, or biax fibre etc as per the TT range?

have heard really great things about the revamp from other sources I trust as well - but for bay chop? meh.

Youngbreezy
WA, 949 posts
30 Aug 2017 10:57PM
Thumbs Up

The other day I was doing a downwinder on my vanguard (fsf kite construction) and as I came past an area where the shoreline was all exposed rock and reef I got caught by a wave and my board washed right up on the rocks and reef and was smashing around and ended up high and dry on the rocks, I had to bodydrag way downwind then land my kite and run back to get it, to my surprise it had no damage from its journey to the Reef!! Pretty lucky but it is quite a tough board

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
31 Aug 2017 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Ha I was going to write when I saw your post but the wind came up and I went for a kite instead I reckon Mazdon's reply is spot on. The Axis new wave is about as tough as you will get for strapped jumping, but I have also seen a couple of them broken too. Most custom and production surfboards will break if you jump them with or without straps and land heavily on them, but I would also recommend strapping up that Wam if thats how you ride and try to get a demo on an Axis new wave or a Delta revamp

F-ONE Australia
QLD, 50 posts
1 Sep 2017 7:25AM
Thumbs Up

The new F-one Slice is also a consideration, check the product video:

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
28 Sep 2017 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

OR jester has been floating round the back of my van for a couple of months, hitting the local points and no damage yet.
Looks brand new and is a lot of fun.
10/10 for construction.
Must say, That F-one does look good too.

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
29 Sep 2017 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Been using Smook custom SB since 2012 and have never broken one And have boosted a lot with straps pic of new Shredder MK2 5'2"

And pic of WA rider boosting with 5'4" Smook custom. In the bay I use 5'6" I am 75 to 80 klg and have second hand boards available to demo or buy

Puetz
NT, 2172 posts
29 Sep 2017 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
vendeavours said..
Been using Smook custom SB since 2012 and have never broken one And have boosted a lot with straps pic of new Shredder MK2 5'2"

And pic of WA rider boosting with 5'4" Smook custom. In the bay I use 5'6" I am 75 to 80 klg and have second hand boards available to demo or buy

... wow, they look fully deadly,,,, me like!

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
30 Sep 2017 6:19AM
Thumbs Up

vendeavours
VIC, 361 posts
30 Sep 2017 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..

vendeavours said..

... wow, they look fully deadly,,,, me like!

Thanks Puetz pics of Shredder is at your favorite spot in Indo

apepene43
QLD, 116 posts
30 Sep 2017 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ActionSportsWA said..
Hi Sony,

The North Quest TT surfboard could be the silver bullet you are looking for. Super tough construction and cheap to buy. Having said that, we didn't have a single claim for broken North surfboards all last season, not even a rolled finbox or cracked rail and that includes the Pro construction boards.

Have a look also at the Delta Re-Vamp surfboards coming this season, haven't heard of any of those breaking either.

DM

my mates didnt last to long

apepene43
QLD, 116 posts
30 Sep 2017 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

from small jumps and normal riding 12 months old

mazdon
1196 posts
30 Sep 2017 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Ouch - the dreaded "fold"

wave6ft
QLD, 142 posts
30 Sep 2017 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

broken silver bullet

Kiwi0012
2 posts
2 Oct 2017 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

broken indeed and im lucky to be 58kgs on a heavy day the worst part is north ignoring me it was a nice board but that crack was a crease that showed up three days after getting it about 4hrs use, plus one fin was slighly bent which made it turn slightly left all the time, i was told they would not be a problem, um yer look now snapped were it creased and the fin well i just heated it up an reset it because north just turned a blind eye. I to search for a strong surfboard but yer found nothing yet.... but ive got ideas and have seen products that could give us stronger and longer lasting gear.but just like everything in our sport it cost alot.

TomW059
183 posts
3 Oct 2017 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

I think you have to get a custom board from a reliable and experienced builder to be sure.

lucy5
QLD, 103 posts
4 Oct 2017 2:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kiwi0012 said..
broken indeed and im lucky to be 58kgs on a heavy day the worst part is north ignoring me it was a nice board but that crack was a crease that showed up three days after getting it about 4hrs use, plus one fin was slighly bent which made it turn slightly left all the time, i was told they would not be a problem, um yer look now snapped were it creased and the fin well i just heated it up an reset it because north just turned a blind eye. I to search for a strong surfboard but yer found nothing yet.... but ive got ideas and have seen products that could give us stronger and longer lasting gear.but just like everything in our sport it cost alot.

wow sounds like a dodgy north board from the start and great assistance from north not not even a reply back **** customer service

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
15 Oct 2017 5:41PM
Thumbs Up

No production surfboard is bombproof.We did some proto testing years ago and made a foam core, innegra carbon top/bottom/rail wrap. cork foot areas and reinforced inserts.
Sure it was "tough as nails" but the board was horrible to ride and left everyone with sore knees and crook ankles.
Now i don't work in the industry i can be as blunt as i like. So heres my recommendations.1). Buy a custom board with as much glass and reinforcing as the shaper will put on it. But be prepared for the weight.2). Get a nice production board that suits your riding style and learn how to land properly.Or even better get a twintip that is made for what you want.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Tough as Nails Surf Board Suggestions" started by sonny2727