Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Used kite review - 2012 Ozone Catalyst

Created by surfingboye > 9 months ago, 16 Jan 2016
surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
16 Jan 2016 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Was without a small kite for some decent wind today so ducked in to see Fiona at Adventure Sports Noosa. She was good enough to hook me up with a loaner for the day. Cheers heaps.

I was pretty lit on the 8M but had a far bit of fun on it.
Wind was cross off and riding waves.

The Catalyst drifted surprisingly well. The speed of the kite through the meat of the wind window is much slower than the current REO's. Also the kite isn't as responsive to small bar movements with the bar out (the REO repositions really well in comparison). I found myself turning the kite using a hand on the outside line with the bar out as I was bottom turning.

These are probably qualities for a different style of riding maybe, freeride etc?

I reckon one of these would be a great kite for someone looking to get into the sport. Cheap and still do a great job.

Plummet
4862 posts
17 Jan 2016 3:23AM
Thumbs Up

I'm still rolling with a 2012 cat for my 8m size. Its a pretty sweet high wind kite. I roll in out 25-35 knots.

It does a reasonable job in the waves and punts some nice jumps in the 30-35 knot range and has some good depower and gust munching ability.

IanR
NSW, 1237 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting review
Ozone Team rider get on to tell newbies about how great the kites are without any disclosure.
Nice work hope you made some financial gain
.ps your elitist attitude of no twin tips in the surf STINKS

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
IanR said...
Interesting review
Ozone Team rider get on to tell newbies about how great the kites are without any disclosure.
Nice work hope you made some financial gain
.ps your elitist attitude of no twin tips in the surf STINKS

Haha, yeah because someone buying a used Ozone would help the company in which way?

No elitist attitude at all. Maybe take the forums a little less seriously or read my posts with a hint of sarcasm they have been written with.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
17 Jan 2016 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said...
I'm still rolling with a 2012 cat for my 8m size. Its a pretty sweet high wind kite. I roll in out 25-35 knots.

It does a reasonable job in the waves and punts some nice jumps in the 30-35 knot range and has some good depower and gust munching ability.

Yeah that's probably what I was also really surprised with Plummet. I was kiting a point break wave with the kite going well into the wind shadow. The kite flew really stable and didn't really yank me around at all. Really smooth to fly.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
17 Jan 2016 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..
Was without a small kite for some decent wind today so ducked in to see Fiona at Adventure Sports Noosa. She was good enough to hook me up with a loaner for the day. Cheers heaps.

I was pretty lit on the 8M but had a far bit of fun on it.
Wind was cross off and riding waves.

The Catalyst drifted surprisingly well. The speed of the kite through the meat of the wind window is much slower than the current REO's. Also the kite isn't as responsive to small bar movements with the bar out (the REO repositions really well in comparison). I found myself turning the kite using a hand on the outside line with the bar out as I was bottom turning.

These are probably qualities for a different style of riding maybe, freeride etc?

I reckon one of these would be a great kite for someone looking to get into the sport. Cheap and still do a great job.

Yeah, saw you out there when I was picking my car up after a dwinder from that spot.

I didn't know the cats drifted that good, you would have been pretty lit - had a bit of depower pulled on my 7.

Did you get out to OWI ?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
17 Jan 2016 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I spent like half an hour out at OWI.
Usual wind direction out there but stoked to finally kite it.
Hope ya had a good dw, was nice and windy!

Plummet
4862 posts
17 Jan 2016 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

I don't understand the red thumbs? Guy rides an older kite. It flys ok. So he lets people know about it.

What's wrong with that?

Mrknownothing
QLD, 147 posts
17 Jan 2016 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

What's the RRP on a 2012 cat? Reckon ozone will still do custom colours for me?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Used kite review - 2012 Ozone Catalyst" started by surfingboye