Thumbs Up

Rider: 78 Kg Intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Surf
Weather: 18 -25 knots
Build Quality: 10/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: Kiting addict

My Comments:

Finally got my hands on the Wainman ManiaC last weekend thanks WestOz, was expecting alot and was surprised that it delivered a whole lot more. Multiple settings allowed a single kite with multiple performance characteristics. With the relocation of lines I was able to ride a kite that resembled the feel of a cable with its steady pull and a locked in flight path. I then changed the attachement points and was flying a very responsive super powered freeride kite, the pop was huge and the predictability was to me unprecidented. Have been a Wainman fan for a while but this release has promoted the brand to the top of a whole new genre. Demoed the kite Friday and Saturday owned the kite on Sunday.

Do yourself a favour you must fly this kite, by the way you may want to use a kite size one down from what you think its low end is typically Wainman.

EnglishCraig
NSW, 406 posts
10 Feb 2014 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

How did u find the pop/slack generation

On a scale of one to very how aggressive are loops?

What kites are you comparing it to?

Have they changed the bar much for this new kite?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
10 Feb 2014 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

To add to Craig's good questions...

So Stella how'd she jump in ether freeride mode mate? I have no doubt she will be a good wakestyle kite just wondering on the jumping characteristics. Did you power loop her in the freeride mode?

Either way I assume I find out soon enough myself...

I want Jason's opinion...lol!!!

kitepilotoz
QLD, 181 posts
10 Feb 2014 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Second!!!

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
10 Feb 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tomasb said...
Yet again, up pops eppo the forum legend!

Do everyone a favour and keep out of this thread will you? You couldn't even handle the power delivery of the Cat FFS!

You've spent all season bagging out Ozone kites on this and Kiteforum but you'll expect Jason to let you demo a kite that you have no ability to make honest comment on!

Just because you got your current kites at a huge discount, you pimp North all year! Is that as far as your loyalty goes??? Keep your options open for next season though cheap boy!

In your mind and on the forums you are the sum of all your years of experience. In reality, you ride like you're in your second season! Plenty have seen you.

Stop misleading those who know no better with your endless crap! Kook!

Hahahahah. I was surprised when I eppo commented and I actually think ttomasb comment is somewhat valid. Let the guys that unhook have this thread. Nothing about free ride should really even be mentioned in this thread. Nice to see another c kite on the market besides the fuel

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
10 Feb 2014 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Wow guys such hostility, I just posted to inform all that the ManiaC is worth at least a Demo, I found it to be an insane kite but that is just my opinon, think I'll pull my head in and avoid this forum

Subculture
443 posts
10 Feb 2014 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
STELLA01 said..

Wow guys such hostility, I just posted to inform all that the ManiaC is worth at least a Demo, I found it to be an insane kite but that is just my opinon, think I'll pull my head in and avoid this forum

Thanks for the review Stella, I can tell from it that you know your stuff. You raised a few sound points. Being a Wainman, it's coming from a company with a lot of real experience, both riding and designing.

Re your hostility comment, it's easy to see the guys were not having a go at you, a lot are understandably tired at some of the claims written here by a select few. There a lot of very experienced kiters who (sadly) no longer post here, because of all the 'white noise'..

Some people 'do' but say little; others say they do, but in reality, do very little of what they claim .

I come here but rarely post anymore, for those reasons stated above.

Good to see you post your review here. Thanks.

Kevok
WA, 37 posts
10 Feb 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Big eeeZeee said..
Nice to see another c kite on the market besides the fuel

Lets get off topic!!

edit: too late

riddim1
QLD, 147 posts
10 Feb 2014 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your constructive review Stella01...... We need more of them. I would like to see more of a Wainman presence on the east coast and I'm guessing this should happen with the introduction of a dedicated C.
If I can share a few of my simple learnings over the past 10 years regarding this particular kiteforum that have helped me out.

1. The amount of forum posts a Seabreeze member has is in no way proportional to:
a) their competency levels under a kite and/or
b) their apparent reputation as a 'figure of authority' with all things kiteboarding or kitesurfing.
2. Some readers need to come to grips with the fact that reviews are subjective and as such are all, in varying ways, biased.
3. Never reply to topics under the influence of alcohol....

Hope this helps. Happy winds.

MrFreeze
289 posts
10 Feb 2014 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

So Stella how'd she jump in ether freeride mode mate? I have no doubt she will be a good wakestyle kite just wondering on the jumping characteristics. Did you power loop her in the freeride mode?

"how'd she jump" "she will be a good wakestyle kite"

Hmmmmm, Giving a gendered pronoun to a inanimate object. Interesting!

rcr46401
WA, 54 posts
10 Feb 2014 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

STELLA01 , is correct definitely worth a demo. Kite construction looks really good , has multiple settings like all wainmans. Tried 8m Friday 25/30 knots with kite, was a touch overpowered. Powerful pull , I also thought the bar pressure was moderate good news for those with bad elbows. Demo and try it for yourself on different settings. I enjoyed using the kite and had fun, all considered I am not a wakestyler. Guys the above review/title is about a kite is it too hard, take the bullcrap somewhere else.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
11 Feb 2014 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

Stella01 what size are u riding
Any chance of some detailed pics
I'm away at work and can't demo it just yet waiting for this kite for a long time
Rob u suck I wanted to demo it first

MrFreeze
289 posts
11 Feb 2014 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tomasb said..

MrFreeze said...
eppo said..

"how'd she jump" "she will be a good wakestyle kite"

Hmmmmm, Giving a gendered pronoun to a inanimate object. Interesting!

Chillingly astute...

Hmmmmm, Muchas gracias senor, however the accolades go to one man and one man only.

Senor Eppo, my mentor. His literary prowess goes far beyond his years.

billykiter
WA, 302 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Wow tomasb! get out of bed on the wrong side? Eppo asks some good questions.

I really wonder how the ManiaC would compare with a Fuel? After years of testing etc would expect the Fuel to come out in front. However I haven't tried the ManiaC.

MrFreeze
289 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billykiter said..

Wow tomasb! get out of bed on the wrong side? Eppo asks some good questions.

I really wonder how the ManiaC would compare with a Fuel? After years of testing etc would expect the Fuel to come out in front. However I haven't tried the ManiaC.

Hmmmmm, I concur Billy.

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
11 Feb 2014 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pedleym hows the new job, sorry to rub it in but its been howling down here, I demoed the 8 and found that it comfortably sat in the 18 - 25 range for popping it started to feel over lit after that, not that there is anything wrong with that. Once you try the kite I'm pretty sure you will want it, it will suit your riding style to a T. Boosting wasn't all that great but thats what my rabbits are for. Can't believe the stability it locks into a flight path and dosn't move until bar input, in this setup mode it can be a little frustrating if you want to switch to freeride on the fly a change of line setup is required. The relaunch is super easy for a 4 line C which was one of my concerns. By the way sorry to say but most of the boys have demoed the kite, comments ranging from yeh its alright to I can't beleive I'm landing the trick that has eluded me for so long. Won't mention names but one comment was the bar was right there waiting for you after a rather advanced handle pass. The kite quality is typycal wainman, looks match the build, enough of these flying rainbows, got the black after all, all wainmans should be black (my opinion only), wait until you see the look on my young fellas face when he is on board.

Oh I may as well keep going Englishgraig pop/slack think thats answered above, I'm not really comparing to any kite, yeh I know my comment about top of a genre may have been a little over the top. Bar from what I can see is exactly the same as the carrot 2 although option for fifth line personally don't think a fifth is needed, just different colours this suits me fine a great simple bar design, kite loops are not over the top about the same as the rabbits although the down loop through the window feels like your behind a full on ski boat.

Eppo not the kite if you want a big booster.

I'll post some pics soon.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
11 Feb 2014 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Ta Stella. Great info. Will call the crew and get their run downs. With the jumping I was kind of asking it's jumping characteristics more than a big booster. Did anyone power loop it...if it's anything like the smoke it will rip around pretty quick!

Sorry about the grief...

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
11 Feb 2014 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Eppo,

I wouldn't say that it whips around but then again so many settings to try, boosting gives moderate lift but no real hang time, boosted a few times with the young fella onboard will avoid that due to the fact that the landing was rather heavy compared to the rabbits, looping on the down will probably solve this although not with the little one.

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
11 Feb 2014 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Stella01,

Can you tell which size you'd recommend for me, I'm not sure if I should get the 11.5, or the 9.5, for my middle kite (or most used kite).

I'm 73 kgs, and my most used kite is the smoke 9m which I ride in 16-23 knots (give or take), for unhooked wakestyle??

Which size is the closest to a smoke 9m, in terms of power?

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
11 Feb 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey kungfupete, I think you would be extremely surprise at the power of the 8 which is what I purchased. Was out and comfortable last Sunday 18 - 25 Knots with my boy on board me 78kg + boy 23kg on a 139x42 twin tip. Dont take my word for it I'd hate for you to buy the wrong size based on my opinion I always try before I buy. the Friday before 2 kites were demoed the 9.5 and the 8 the 9.5 was super lit up at 20 - 25 knots. The wind range of these kites is quite limited.

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
11 Feb 2014 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Kungfupete please talk to Jason at Westoz knows a hell of alot more about kites than me

rcr46401
WA, 54 posts
11 Feb 2014 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pedleym said..

Stella01 what size are u riding
Any chance of some detailed pics
I'm away at work and can't demo it just yet waiting for this kite for a long time
Rob u suck I wanted to demo it first

Sorry mate. Crazy Nirvana Conner was on it ,he had a ball on it getting some good moves and air on it, whisper has it he may have one . Looks impressive and should suit you perfectly, I will keep on boosting. Damn, going to be a new generation of Pond maniacs on orange/black ManiaC. Karma, You can smile/laugh at me, got my new 9m big booster Saturday and had awesome 3 hour 25/30 knot sesh. Yesterday 6pm sw cold hard 30/35 failed boost landing . Wing tip line wrap , pulled 1st safety, bugger now bar wrap full power, split second bang 400 kg 2nd safety new lines snapped. In 5 seconds kite cleared pond, bar and lines parked luckily on fence post, kite parked on street sign split in half. Me still here to bug ya , seeya soon. Rob

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
12 Feb 2014 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kungfupete said...
Hey Stella01,

Can you tell which size you'd recommend for me, I'm not sure if I should get the 11.5, or the 9.5, for my middle kite (or most used kite).

I'm 73 kgs, and my most used kite is the smoke 9m which I ride in 16-23 knots (give or take), for unhooked wakestyle??

Hey Pete
Just spoke with my mate who got an 8 and says it is just as powerful as his 9 m nirvana
But iv seen your videos and would like to here your thoughts as your talent far exceed mine
Cheers

Stella01 and rob cheers for the info pics tho

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
12 Feb 2014 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kungfupete said...
Hey Stella01,

Hey Pete
Just spoke with my mate who got an 8 and says it is just as powerful as his 9 m nirvana
But iv seen your videos and would like to here your thoughts as your talent far exceed mine
Cheers

Stella01 and rob cheers for the info pics tho

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
14 Feb 2014 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Alright, so it sounds like you guys who have had a chance to ride them are pretty stoked!!!
That's great news. I've been looking forward to these kites ever since the proto photos were posted on the net.
Being a Melbourne rider I'm getting a 11.5 to ride seeing as our wind isn't no where near the strength of WA Breeze. I hoping it will be the right size for 15-20 knots (or there about).
Good chance I'll have one in the next week or 2.

Great review Stella. Really excited.

Can anyone comment on what the relaunch is like?

Does the kite come with a 5th line option?

Really like to see some picks of the gear i.e. different setting options etc.

STELLA01
WA, 126 posts
14 Feb 2014 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pete,

Was out on the Punch yesterday, 17 - 20 knots, decided to change over to the ManiaC 8 to practice some unhooking with the setting on lightwind I had enough power to plane and unhook with more than enough pop, Only thing was relaunch at the low end of the kite size, very difficult to get it out of the water and generally had to wait for 20+ gusts. The kite does come with a 5th line option although I am yet to find the fifth line in the std kit will have to speak to Westoz kite boarding for that. I know that Westoz currently have 9.5 and 11.5 in stock you could probably have one a lot sooner that your current delivery date should chase them up. Will try to get some photos up soon.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
23 Feb 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Demoed the maniac 11.5 today but a bit light to give a detailed review just yet but here are some pics

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
25 Feb 2014 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting some pics. Loads of settings just like the rabbits. Can't wait to give these kites a fly. Mine will be set on slow (rear lines), & either stock or upwind (front lines). I'm glad the kites also come with 2m line extensions, this way you can slow the kite ever more if needed.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
25 Feb 2014 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

hey pete spent some time on the 9.5 yesterday had on fast back and middle front
the kite takes a lot of input to turn (it is not slow tho) but like a delay for the first 2-3" of steering.
IE i landed blind but off axis and pulled myself around and the kite was sitting where i left it. my c4 would have steered off into the water.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
1 Mar 2014 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Got to spend another afternoon on the 9.5 in well powered conditions . Kite flies off the front lines. Giving it a solid bar pressure but the gusts don't pull at the Bar. I feel the comftable top end on this kite is about 25knots, low end about 18 (for me at 83kg)
The turning speed is medium but with a lot of input it whips Around fine.

Unhooking is where this kite really shines, pop is huge and it's like the kite locks in when unhooked and kite is right where u left it after the trick. You can feel really powers in 25 knots but still unhook And try for passes

Rowdy this might be the start of that dedicated wake style kite you have been discussing
Not saying it's the be all but mabey the start

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
1 Mar 2014 11:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pedleym said..

Got to spend another afternoon on the 9.5 in well powered conditions . Kite flies off the front lines. Giving it a solid bar pressure but the gusts don't pull at the Bar. I feel the comftable top end on this kite is about 25knots, low end about 18 (for me at 83kg)
The turning speed is medium but with a lot of input it whips Around fine.

Unhooking is where this kite really shines, pop is huge and it's like the kite locks in when unhooked and kite is right where u left it after the trick. You can feel really powers in 25 knots but still unhook And try for passes

Rowdy this might be the start of that dedicated wake style kite you have been discussing
Not saying it's the be all but mabey the start

you gonna grab a set and depart ozone?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Wainman ManiaC" started by STELLA01