Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Wainman ManiaC

Created by STELLA01 > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2014
pedleym
WA, 168 posts
2 Mar 2014 5:44AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I'm sold wind range not as good but the benifets far outweigh that.
suit the riding direction I'm heading for.

Forgot to mention that while in a trick it doesn't seem to produce massive amounts of slack but a light pull keeping enough tension without pulling from your hand.

I would like to here some more advanced riders opinion ( big and Pete )

And for eppo it boosts quite well but would do better with the big bar

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
16 Mar 2014 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Size 9 m c4 over the 9.5 also strut placement
The low end on the 9.5 is impressive about 17 knots and your having fun starts to get a bit much about 25 I'm 83kg

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
27 Mar 2014 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

I just got my 11.5. Now all I need is some wind. I'll post some feedback once I've had a ride.
Can anyone comment if they have noticed a difference between the middle vs upwind setting (on front lines)?

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
27 Mar 2014 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kungfupete said...
I just got my 11.5. Now all I need is some wind. I'll post some feedback once I've had a ride.
Can anyone comment if they have noticed a difference between the middle vs upwind setting (on front lines)?

Only rode for a short while on upwind takes a lot more effort to turn the kite also the way the pig tails are labeled if you are on the upwind knot and attachment the rear line needs to be on the knot closest to the kite other wise the kite is way to under sheeted
I find the middle setting to my liking as it sits a bit deeper in the window

cirum
QLD, 10 posts
1 Apr 2014 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Tried today the 11.5 in very marginal winds gusting maybe to 12knts. Had a good feeling from the kite and only thing I can say is that the kite feels very stable and enjoyable bar pressure.
When I pumped it up I noticed that the inflation valve was missing the stopper ball. Has anyone of you guys noticed as well? That ball used to be in the valve on my old rabbits and it was very handy for when you detach the pump from kite.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
1 Apr 2014 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cirum said...
Tried today the 11.5 in very marginal winds gusting maybe to 12knts. Had a good feeling from the kite and only thing I can say is that the kite feels very stable and enjoyable bar pressure.
When I pumped it up I noticed that the inflation valve was missing the stopper ball. Has anyone of you guys noticed as well? That ball used to be in the valve on my old rabbits and it was very handy for when you detach the pump from kite.

Yeh no ball valve in these ones

cirum
QLD, 10 posts
1 Apr 2014 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Even in the spare bag kit used to be a spare depower rope missing compare to rabbits

STELLA01
WA, 123 posts
2 Apr 2014 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

No stopper ball isn't realy a probelm as the valves are quite soft and can be pinched easily. I didn't get a spare kit at all with the maniac pretty disappointing, although cant complain got a free bar

Tok
4 posts
3 Apr 2014 2:15AM
Thumbs Up

Do anyone know what the freeride setting is and how are the kite loops? I have heard that the kite is quite slow in the turns and the bar pressure is low which makes it difficult to know where the kite is. Whats your opinion?

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
3 Apr 2014 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
STELLA01 said..

No stopper ball isn't realy a probelm as the valves are quite soft and can be pinched easily. I didn't get a spare kit at all with the maniac pretty disappointing, although cant complain got a free bar

**** no stopper ball. pinching? did kite equipment go backwards a decade or something?

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
3 Apr 2014 5:48AM
Thumbs Up

A mate kite loops his 8 fine haven't tryed to loop the 9.5 yet
as for the bar pressure I wouldn't call it low.
I think I said in a previous post it flyls off the front line so in the gusts it is not pulling at your arms.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
3 Apr 2014 5:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Big eeeZeee said...
STELLA01 said..

**** no stopper ball. pinching? did kite equipment go backwards a decade or something?

Don't worry about the stopper . Big u need to demo one would suit you to the ground

Klo
6 posts
9 Apr 2014 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

hi guys, Does anyone know how this kite performs in gusty winds? and hows the upwind performance in general? Has anyone tryed the kite on waves yet? Let me know :)

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
10 Apr 2014 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Klo said...
hi guys, Does anyone know how this kite performs in gusty winds? and hows the upwind performance in general? Has anyone tryed the kite on waves yet? Let me know :)

Up wind performance is good even at the lower end of the wind range.
It doesn't really dart back.and forth in the window when the wind fluctuates jellys a little at the to end but don't feel it at all.

Klo
6 posts
10 Apr 2014 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info. Im now riding gaastra kite toxic and im serously thinking of the ManiaC. Can this mania C kite be used as an everyday kite? or is it only good at being parked in the wind window for unhooked moves?. Can anyone compare the turning speed to another kite? im trying to gage the turning speed before i buy a wainman maniaC.

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
10 Apr 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Klo said...
Thanks for the info. Im now riding gaastra kite toxic and im serously thinking of the ManiaC. Can this mania C kite be used as an everyday kite? or is it only good at being parked in the wind window for unhooked moves?. Can anyone compare the turning speed to another kite? im trying to gage the turning speed before i buy a wainman maniaC.

Best thing for you to do is demo one to see if it is going to suit you. But remember it is a real c kite so depower is not like bridaled kites need to use your edge

Klo
6 posts
10 Apr 2014 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

wish i could test one based over seas for a while. However i Found this nice video online from the German crew from wainman. See the ManiaC in action. this clip seems to show me what i have been looking for.

gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1536/page/346/?SGL_CMS_SESSID=agmopf7rk9d9prk0v70h1n27u4&%2F1%2F

cheers

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
10 Apr 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

One thing that I have seen on most of the vids is how high the kite is doing unhooked moves
I find this kite works really well keeping it low.

Tok
4 posts
14 Apr 2014 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hallo again. i have tested 9.5. I am most in to loops. I had the feeling that 9.5 is to slow to loop. You can get some nice loops on Smoke in 18 knots. I did not get the some loops in the same knots with the Maniac. Is it better to invest in size 8 or do you think the Maniac is not a looping kite?

cirum
QLD, 10 posts
14 Apr 2014 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tok said...
Hallo again. i have tested 9.5. I am most in to loops. I had the feeling that 9.5 is to slow to loop. You can get some nice loops on Smoke in 18 knots. I did not get the some loops in the same knots with the Maniac. Is it better to invest in size 8 or do you think the Maniac is not a looping kite?

What setting did you have on front and back lines? The behaviour of the kite changes a lot on different settings hard/upwind vs soft/downwind

Tok
4 posts
14 Apr 2014 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

I had fast on the steering line and upwind/hard on the front lines

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
14 Apr 2014 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Try front line on middle and middle knot and back line one or two in from fast and fish pole that bar

Tok
4 posts
14 Apr 2014 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the answers. I Will try that setting. Do you think Its better to keep Smoke instead of 9.5 and go for a 8 Maniac for looping

STELLA01
WA, 123 posts
16 Apr 2014 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tok,

I fly rabbits 2 and a 8 maniac, the rabbits to me definately have better looping characteristics, was out looping the 8 maniac in about 18 - 20 knots a little while ago and found that due to its locked in nature loop was pretty drawn out compared to the rabbits, this tended to make for an exciting loop with heaps of pull, I generally only loop in transitions, my opinon is that the maniac loops fine just different from the rabbits which is to be expected.

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
19 May 2014 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

I finally had a chance to ride the 11.5 over the weekend (15-20 knots???), and its a really really nice kite. I'm very happy with it!

I ride wakestyle so I've set my kite up on slowest turning speed (rear lines), and front lines on middle setting. It's a very stable kite and as slow as I'd like the kite to be. I have also mocked up a 5th line for relaunch only purposes, because I crash my kite a lot.

Compared to the rabbits its a more stable kite, and pretty much locks into a flight path like a lot of the other guys have said on this thread. Its not twitchy at all and like Pedleym said there is a delayed bar input feel so making handle passes was really nice. The bar pressure was good. I'm still finding my timing with some tricks, but that's probably just me and maybe not the kite. When you miss a handle pass the kite depowers enough for you to not get dragged (on suicide). The depower strap is long giving lots of tuning range, so you can keep trying unhooked tricks as the wind strength changes.

The relaunch is no where near as good as the rabbits (or other delta kites), but everyone already knows that. The 5th line meant the kite was back in the sky within seconds even when the wind was slightly lighter. IMO if you ride boots, all C kites need a 5th line for relaunch. That way you can roll it on its back rather than waiting for a gust or stronger wind.

I'm leaning towards a full quiver, but want another couple of sessions to be sure.

I will post some more feedback after I have had another ride. These are some of my initial thoughts

pedleym
WA, 168 posts
20 May 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pete
Did you put together a y bridle or go straight from the center conection point

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
21 May 2014 12:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pedleym said...
Hey Pete
Did you put together a y bridle or go straight from the center conection point

Straight from the center point at the kite, ran the line straight through the centre of the swivel, through the chicken loop tube (where the other flag out line goes), and used the same handle and ring under the bar.

I also put a stopper ball on the 5th line so the bar only travels so far, if you decide to connect your leash to the 5th line.

I'm probably going to get the Wainman V line set up when they come out. I'm guessing they should be out soonish and they'll probably post a video on the site around how to set it up.

How you liking the kites?

kungfupete
VIC, 149 posts
20 Jun 2014 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Had another ride of the Maniac 11.5m. I moved the front lines on the downwind setting (which for all other C kites is usually called the wake setting) and the kite was soooooo much better for handle passes. Its less bar pressure. Make passing the bar easier as it doesn't need to be muscled in, and the kite stayed were I parked it in the air.

The other thing that really blew my mind was that this kite does relaunch of the steering lines on this setting! So all I did was, when the kite is dead down wind, grab both steering line relaunch balls, pull one a little more than the other and the kite pretty much pivots as you pull the lines (almost like a hot launch or reverse launch) and then you let go of the bottom line as you pull the top line and fly the kite up. This takes about 10 secs!!! I never used the 5th line once.

I'm pretty amped coz I just got off the water, but I can believe changing the settings has made the kite perform so much better and so different.

Anyone who rides C kites all the time is probably reading and thinking 'Yeah this is nothing new, you should always fly a c kite on the 2 settings closest to each other (steerer and leader)', but I feel like I just discovered something new.
Anyway hope this info helps someone else. Sorry for the rant, I'm on a kite high Freaking love these kites...

Klo
6 posts
10 Jul 2014 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Big eeeZeee said..

STELLA01 said..

hi guys, just got my 11.5 ManiaC and guess what!! I have a stopper Ball in my valve. for guys that didnt? get a small plastic ball from an old kite and stuff it into the deflate valve as the hole is bigger there, then the ball will hopefully find its place. Mania C Kite performance! ManiaC Goes upwind like a delta or Bow and that suprized me allot. Also depower rpe on the Bar is long enough to depower the kite almost fully'' if you not riding on heavy winds'' The cleat depower system also offer lots of depower/trimming. i see the wind range is good for a c-kite. Kite seems very very stable, so the shape/design must be almost flawless to achieve this. the Bar feels smooth when riding too. Only had 2hr session on 16 knots and was very happy. i will now never go back to deltas or bows. To use a C kite you should really know how to tune and trim a C kite well so it peforms well as per the wind on that day! also be able to ride with the bar close to you and use the board to edge properly and not just relie on pure brut power of a traditional bow kite to pull u along.

wishy
WA, 1357 posts
13 Jul 2014 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

Stable compared to what? In the videos it looks like it has the old jellyfish warble and lots of canopy flap.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Wainman ManiaC" started by STELLA01