meander
WA, 12 posts
12 Nov 2014 5:34AM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 90kg, intermediate
Style: Freeriding, Freestyle
Weather: 12-20 knots
Disclosure: rider

Hey guys. I need to buy new kites with limited knowledge/experience and no possibility for testing, therefore your view is really appreciated.

So I own 2013 Switchblade 8/12m2 that I would change for 2015 SB, 2015 Dice, 2014 RPM. The reason of these three is that I have local dealer for these brands (in Hungary) and the reason that I can not test them is I have to buy them before end of March 2015 (it will be financed by a EU project with the above deadline) and I won't be able to kite until that.

What I enjoy to do: high jumps, rolls, some old scool transitions and I am starting to get a taste of unhooked tricks (aiming for raily). I would like to progress towards basic unhooked tricks and loops

My experience with 2013 SB: 12m2 is a bit lazy with good lowend. Sometimes it feels a bit hard to edge it before jumping as kite pulls off my edge) Other than this it is a nice kite

What I have read about 2015 SB: It is even stronger than 2013 with more park and ride feel that I translate to be more lazy. Some say that the double rip stop is a bit heavy so in light wind it tends to backstall

What I have read about 2015 Dice: very fast kite with way smaller low end than the SB (by the way could anybody give some hint about its low-end? weight/size/wind strenght?) Some say it gives very good jumping experience: agressive take off with decent hangtime. Others say it is not a big fun for hooked in/oldscool tricks. Somewhere I have read that it gets overpowered easily and tends to pull forward instead of upward at jumping

What I have read about 2014 RPM: Everyone is praising it although it seems to have seriously weak lowend (by the way could anybody give some hint about its low-end? weight/size/wind strenght?) They say that it is a quick kite sitting back in the wind window that results in good pop and wake style attributes but weak in hooked in jumping.

That's about it for my first post :) any comment is great help for me. Thanks

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

RPM

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

No problem with low end. Im usually the first one out on my 12m well appart from a few people on 17's. And im on a wake-style board.

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
12 Nov 2014 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

No problem here with low end.
I find it much better than other similar kites.

manlykiter
NSW, 66 posts
12 Nov 2014 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

Im the same weight and level as you Meander. I've owned 2014 Switchblades and RPMs, not tried the dice.

RPM is a seriously nice kite, but for me the below the bar depower and swivel are a big letdown. Narrower windrange than the SB, and as you have read much less low end grunt. I think in 12-20 knots you would have to be looking at the 14M.

Switchblade, not as fast as the RPM in the 12M size, the bar in 2015 is imo one of the best.. I interpret park and ride as being a result of the grunt of the kite, ie you don't need to work the kite as much and has a much more progressive depower. That feeling of it pulling you off your edge as you send it for a jump is what allows you to boost high. A good freeride board will help you here!

Most of the differences in performance between SB and RPM are due to the kites being a different shape (delta vs open c). If you want to do kiteloops, I think the RPM will be a much more forgiving here

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
12 Nov 2014 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Dice is far superior to both those kites, try one......

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
12 Nov 2014 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Switchblade sux to unhook on. Of course You can do it but you can definetly tell its not really made for it.
Dice is simmilar to switchy, bit lighter on the bar and also slightly faster but both of these kites have no kite feel. They both have slightly better low end than an rpm but you loose that in top end.
If you want an all round kite that is good for unhooking i dont think there is a better kite than the rpm.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
12 Nov 2014 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Paul1 said...

Dice is definitely not superior! There isn't much I like about the dice (2014)!!

bigwave
8 posts
12 Nov 2014 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

The Cabrinha Switchblade is a super all round kite that can work for any number of disciplines ,free ride freestyle surf etc. The bread and butter is of course free ride. The 2015 model has better low end than your 2013 with slightly higher bar pressure. The 2015 Bar is very nice. The QR is super easy to reset and the lines are excellent(right up there with the Slingshot IMO). The turning speed is ok, the water relaunch can be a little sticky in lighter wind. For basic unhooked it will do the job but obviously there is better.....Like the RPM. Really nice kite. Definitely a little more technical to fly than the Switchblade. Faster turning with less bar pressure. Less low end power and not the same boost but that can be over come by your skill set. Excellent unhooked performance(some guy won a world title on it..lol) and IMO pretty decent surf performance. The bar is very nice. I really like the below the bar depower. More technique required to use it but very easy once you got it. Best kite lines in the biz and the worst swivel in the biz. Oh, the inflation valves, thankfully Slingshot is moving into the future next year coming with a large style inflation valve. The Cabrinha valve really makes a difference.
I can really comment about the North Dice, I only had a brief half hour session on one but I did like the feel, more like the RPM than the SB. My buddy who owns them says they like wind and are super nice powered up.If you want North, the Rebel is more like the SB.
I would say you can't go wrong with a Switchblade. From what you said you like to do,that kite ticks those boxes.

manlykiter
NSW, 66 posts
12 Nov 2014 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Oh yea, Bigwave is on the money about the slingshot inflation valves. Think of what you have on your pool Lilo and you'll be getting close.

Rails
QLD, 1370 posts
12 Nov 2014 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
meander said..

...it will be financed by a EU project with the above deadline

Hope we are not contributing to institutionalised corruption??
Why would an EU project fund a kite and how do I start a similar project here in Oz?

Oh yeh - RPM +1

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
12 Nov 2014 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
manlykiter said..
Oh yea, Bigwave is on the money about the slingshot inflation valves. Think of what you have on your pool Lilo and you'll be getting close.

I know they will finally be updating this on the 2015 RPM.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
12 Nov 2014 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kemp90 said..

Paul1 said...

Dice is definitely not superior! There isn't much I like about the dice (2014)!!

Dice takes a fair bit of skill to get the most out of it, which would explain your inadequacies and the red thumbs, this thread should be in the newbies section

meander
WA, 12 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
manlykiter said..

Select to expand quote
bigwave said..
The Cabrinha Switchblade is a super all round kite that can work for any number of disciplines ,free ride freestyle surf etc. The bread and butter is of course free ride. The 2015 model has better low end than your 2013 with slightly higher bar pressure. The 2015 Bar is very nice. The QR is super easy to reset and the lines are excellent(right up there with the Slingshot IMO). The turning speed is ok, the water relaunch can be a little sticky in lighter wind. For basic unhooked it will do the job but obviously there is better.....Like the RPM. Really nice kite. Definitely a little more technical to fly than the Switchblade. Faster turning with less bar pressure. Less low end power and not the same boost but that can be over come by your skill set. Excellent unhooked performance(some guy won a world title on it..lol) and IMO pretty decent surf performance. The bar is very nice. I really like the below the bar depower. More technique required to use it but very easy once you got it. Best kite lines in the biz and the worst swivel in the biz. Oh, the inflation valves, thankfully Slingshot is moving into the future next year coming with a large style inflation valve. The Cabrinha valve really makes a difference.
I can really comment about the North Dice, I only had a brief half hour session on one but I did like the feel, more like the RPM than the SB. My buddy who owns them says they like wind and are super nice powered up.If you want North, the Rebel is more like the SB.
I would say you can't go wrong with a Switchblade. From what you said you like to do,that kite ticks those boxes.

Thaks Bigwave, Rebel is deffinitelly not my type. 2013 SB is very different from it: a lot faster and more agressive. Cabrinha says that 2014/2015 SB goes back to the roots with more park and ride feel. If they understand a slower kite under this than I deffinitely need something else. Could you ever compare the two (2013/2014-5)? Thanks for the detailed description

meander
WA, 12 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rails said..

meander said..

...it will be financed by a EU project with the above deadline

Hope we are not contributing to institutionalised corruption??
Why would an EU project fund a kite and how do I start a similar project here in Oz?

Oh yeh - RPM +1

no worries its all legal

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
13 Nov 2014 1:29AM
Thumbs Up

can't speak for 2015 but 2014 Switchy was a big step up from 2013. It's a great all rounder, is intuitive and boosts to moon. Dice be better in waves but won't boost. No exp with rpm so can't comment

at end of the day you can't really make a bad decision just a better decision.

meander
WA, 12 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
manlykiter said..
Im the same weight and level as you Meander. I've owned 2014 Switchblades and RPMs, not tried the dice.

RPM is a seriously nice kite, but for me the below the bar depower and swivel are a big letdown. Narrower windrange than the SB, and as you have read much less low end grunt. I think in 12-20 knots you would have to be looking at the 14M.

Switchblade, not as fast as the RPM in the 12M size, the bar in 2015 is imo one of the best.. I interpret park and ride as being a result of the grunt of the kite, ie you don't need to work the kite as much and has a much more progressive depower. That feeling of it pulling you off your edge as you send it for a jump is what allows you to boost high. A good freeride board will help you here!

Most of the differences in performance between SB and RPM are due to the kites being a different shape (delta vs open c). If you want to do kiteloops, I think the RPM will be a much more forgiving here

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. what is the issue with the swivel? The below bar depower is strange a bit, but I had no serious issues with it.

meander
WA, 12 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pedro Sexton said..
can't speak for 2015 but 2014 Switchy was a big step up from 2013. It's a great all rounder, is intuitive and boosts to moon. Dice be better in waves but won't boost. No exp with rpm so can't comment

Pedro, I fully agree that all of these are fairly good kites. Thanks for the info on the SB

meander
WA, 12 posts
12 Nov 2014 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said..
No problem with low end. Im usually the first one out on my 12m well appart from a few people on 17's. And im on a wake-style board.

Hey glendog, what is your weight? At what wind strenght can you just keep your height with your 12m. thanks

bigwave
8 posts
12 Nov 2014 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
meander said..

manlykiter said..

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. what is the issue with the swivel? The below bar depower is strange a bit, but I had no serious issues with it.

meander, Actually yesterday I rode a 2013 12m SB with a 2015 Cabrinha Secret Weapon 5'6. The 2013 has slightly less bar pressure and turns a bit faster than the 2014/15 models. The low end grunt is less than either of the new ones and even less than the older models. Keep in mind, the 2014 SB and 2015 are basically the same kite apart from colour. Cabrinha has made new bridal changes to enhance the performance of the 2015. IMO the SB turns great, not what I would call fast but requires more input at the bar than some other brands. No back stall if your line management is correct. What your getting with the 2015 kite is a redesigned bar that is very good with a super easy to use/reset QR. Cabrinha says it is compatible with the 2014 models but no older. Some use it with older kites with no issues.
The swivel on the Slingshots is seriously crap. Last year in Brazil, my brand new 8m RPM bar worked all of 3 spins before seizing up. It has issues with sand,poor design.
I'm 84 Kg and my quiver is 2015 Cabrinha Contra 13m, Drifter 11m,9m,7m and Switchblade 10m. Boards, Cabrinha Secret Weapon 5'6, Shinn
Shinnster and Shinn Turbo 132 x 42

Commie
4 posts
13 Nov 2014 3:16AM
Thumbs Up

If all expenses are covered just get a 14m SB, 12m Dice (2015) and a 10m RPM and post a decent review of each here.
at 85 kg I'd go for a 15m Juice and 11m (2015) Dice for 12-20 knots. Real windrange of the 2015 12m Dice for me is 15-24 knots on a 132x41 TT so even 13m won't cover the 12 knots you want unless you've got a SB. Dice has a lot of grunt when the wind picks up as it flies similar to C-kites, but if instead of pulling in the depower you use your board to ride it out there's no problem of boosting. It loops great too. 2014 is even gruntier in its upper range so if you're into freestyle I wouldn't go above the 10m size which feels exactly the same on the bar as 2015 12m for me - same height, same timing, same speed. Windrange is 19-30 knots on a TT.

glendog
QLD, 520 posts
13 Nov 2014 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
meander said...
glendog said..

Hey glendog, what is your weight? At what wind strenght can you just keep your height with your 12m. thanks

Im 60kg need 15 knots with no tide movement or 10 knots with help from tide. And on a wakestyle board that isnt supposed to be good in light wind. Thats to be able to unhook and do tricks. Like i said i usually get on the water the same time as people on 17 zephyrs. I actually baught a zephyr last year and sold it a weak later because it only really got me on the water in about 2 less knotts then the rpm. And by the time it was strong enough to unhook on it the wind would be strong enough to be on the rpm.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
13 Nov 2014 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
glendog said...
meander said...
glendog said..

Im 60kg

60 kg. Faark man, no wonder you can get out in no wind. I'm slightly jealous!

lucy5
QLD, 102 posts
13 Nov 2014 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
meander said..

manlykiter said..

You say dice wont boost.I have seen a few boost high as a 2014 10. and a 2015 9m the guys are good kiters but def boosting big on them.............

lucy5
QLD, 102 posts
13 Nov 2014 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

comment for pedro

Pedro Sexton
VIC, 116 posts
13 Nov 2014 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lucy5 said..
comment for pedro

Lucy good point. Wrote that comment on the run. What I meant just not as high and as long as Switchblade assuming same technical ability from rider. 2014 sb has some serious boosting abilities (not best on market but very good). Its all about robbing Peter to pay Paul - the kite designers conundrum.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
13 Nov 2014 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Pedro Sexton said...

It's common knowledge the 2013 was a big change for performance 2014 and 2015 are back to normal, IMO the dice isn't for bigger riders or those that like pure grunt , the switchblade is a more natural choice, if however you'd like to push your riding a rpm would be my choice ,

apepene43
QLD, 116 posts
14 Nov 2014 10:23PM
Thumbs Up

I thought 2015 is a bit different some kites j have tried have big bottom end for there size compared.to the last couple of years.

chris313
41 posts
14 Nov 2014 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

I will disagree with most of you.....but really if you want to push yourself toward unhooked freestyle both kite (Cab Sw and RPM) are bads choices !
The cab pull to much unhooked, and the RPM pull less, but it is very difficult to have a good feeling in bar unhooked !

Furthermore the fact than youri zoon was champion with the RPM does not mean that it is the best and easiest freestyle kite....this argument really is very "commercial" !

meander
WA, 12 posts
17 Nov 2014 3:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
chris313 said..
I will disagree with most of you.....but really if you want to push yourself toward unhooked freestyle both kite (Cab Sw and RPM) are bads choices !
The cab pull to much unhooked, and the RPM pull less, but it is very difficult to have a good feeling in bar unhooked !

Furthermore the fact than youri zoon was champion with the RPM does not mean that it is the best and easiest freestyle kite....this argument really is very "commercial" !

What would you choose if you were me? Although I need to note that advanced unhooked freestyle will not be my way. Some basic raily at most. Thanks

GarryA
WA, 264 posts
18 Nov 2014 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
meander said..

chris313 said..

What would you choose if you were me? Although I need to note that advanced unhooked freestyle will not be my way. Some basic raily at most. Thanks

slingslut still good kite for all rounder

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"What to choose RPM, Dice, Switchblade" started by meander