Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

Self launch at Lake Weyba?

Created by indogus > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2013
indogus
QLD, 26 posts
25 Nov 2013 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone able to give me a few clues here on self launching at Weyba?

A few weeks ago I arrived to 15-20knots with no one else. Having limited time set up, and tried twice to get kite from the carpark to the water only to achieve mild birdnests each before other Kiters arrived and were able to assist.

Any tips on getting the kite and lines into the water without getting tangled appreciated...

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
25 Nov 2013 8:01AM
Thumbs Up

It's just about impossible to do safely on your own at that spot. Given you have to drift launch and their is no beach you will always get a twig or something caught in your lines. Even if you manage to get it off the shore without catching a twig then their is a good chance your lines will sink as you are walking out and catch a submerged twig. I had a twig somehow catch two of my lines on my 17m at Wyeba once, which started it doing a slow loop. If the wind had of been higher I would have lost my kite.

My suggestion is, if you're after flat water drive the extra distance up to Boreen Point. You can safely drift launch from the caravan park beach without snags. Besides that the wind is cleaner and you get more room to play around.

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
25 Nov 2013 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

I've been learning in Weyba for a long time and never really had a problem.

I flip my kite over and carry it out upside down.

I also when im set up just look at the route im going to take and remove any debris,I also lok for where my lines will go as im walking into the water so they dont foul on anything.
Keep a look out for the adventure sports cars. Ask george for some tips he is always good to help.

Yes its better if some one else is there, but if not take your time, if you get fouled walk back in remove the obstruction and start again.

indogus
QLD, 26 posts
25 Nov 2013 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm only about 5mins drive away and often only have short windows of time available so Weyba is the preferred option.

Never realised how lucky I was to learn in a place that didn't have trees, rocks, power lines etc...

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
25 Nov 2013 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Self launching is easy with your kite at the edge of the window and a sandbag on your leeward wingtip!
That was the way too self launch when I started but now things have changed and everyone I've seen
self lauching put's themselve's and their beloved equiptment at risk of getting ripped too bit's with the downwind
powerzone self launch technique. Then once you and your kite are trashed, you go and get it fixed at your local shop
or hospital! The madness I see in this day and age is pathetic! And like most sport's soon accountability is gong to
come back on people who are actually responsible,or IRRESPONSIBLE for teaching such madness!

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
25 Nov 2013 2:40PM
Thumbs Up

haha I went out a Weyba today and got **** loads of sticks. Never seen so many, i think maybe as we havent been having south easterlies no one has been kiting it so the debris has built up??

When i saw it wasnt salvagable I just dropped my board, put my kite right on the waters edge, on the little bit of sand. And reran my lines and got it sorted.
The carried on as normal out to do a water launch. Bit frustrating but its what you have to do. Keep watching your lies as they enter the water, if there is any sticks stuck in them sort it then, dont try and launch.

Great day had some fun and started learning to start standing up in shallow water, Got it most of the time but had a few crashes. All good, tomorrow is looking good as well.

Echelon
40 posts
25 Nov 2013 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Maybe the amount of sticks has increased. I never had a problem personally. Launching at Weyba I always walked my lines out way in front of my kite (In the direction I need to walk to the water) and then back the the kite and flip it over. That way I already have a major part of the walk done.

EliCash
QLD, 12 posts
26 Nov 2013 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Anybody heading back out to Weyba this afternoon?

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
26 Nov 2013 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EliCash said..

Anybody heading back out to Weyba this afternoon?

keen but was out there all morning, think the missus will spit the dummy if i go again!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Queensland

"Self launch at Lake Weyba?" started by indogus