WA, 372 posts
28 May 2014 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Any info for Exmouth in Oct? 1 x newbie and i x intermediate kiter

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
28 May 2014 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

It will be windy and you will love it ;-) plenty of newbie friendly spots, If you need more info give me a pm

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
4 Jun 2014 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

We were there last year at school hols Oct ... the old fisho bloke in the caravan next to us was packing up and heading south. He has been staying there every year for the last 20 years. He said " this is the start of the 100 days of wind" ... he was right on !

" Sandy Bay" great for learning and flat water...

Good place to stay is Yardy Creek Homestead Caravan Park .. quite a few kiters there.

We will be there again this year..

fuall
WA, 372 posts
4 Jun 2014 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Good to hear, is there enough room for a Gumby like me? i guess the best area is around yardie creek caravan park?

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
5 Jun 2014 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Exmouth is the Gumby capital of Australia

Yardy Creek Caravan Park sits half way between Town and Sandy Bay... approx. 30mins from town and 30mins from Sandy Bay. You can stay closer to Sandy Bay if you camp in the national park.. but I need my hot shower and caf? latte.

Look out for us .. 6 middle-aged blokes . 15 filthy kids.. 1 wife.

someawe
WA, 179 posts
5 Jun 2014 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

^^ 6 blokes and 1 wife! does she get 1 night off a week??

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
5 Jun 2014 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

someone has to do the dishes ..

juicerider
WA, 773 posts
6 Jun 2014 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fuall said..

Good to hear, is there enough room for a Gumby like me? i guess the best area is around yardie creek caravan park?

You will love it, always a good crew, and easy conditions.
Here is a little vid I did with my boys up there last year so you can see what its like. We should be there again this year too.
&feature=share&list=UULE101-jI9R1THuGsq4a02A

WA, 1255 posts
6 Jun 2014 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

^ looks terrible up there ;)

Might replace the OS trip this year.

How long is the drive? Do you need to book camp sites early?

geordieboy
WA, 205 posts
6 Jun 2014 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Monkers said..
someone has to do the dishes ..

Select to expand quote
someawe said..
^^ 6 blokes and 1 wife! does she get 1 night off a week??

i thought hard and long about that one but couldnt come up with the answer without upsetting the husband

theDoctor
NSW, 4715 posts
6 Jun 2014 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Exmouth is closed this year been September and February. .
I saw it on the news

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
6 Jun 2014 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
default said..

13 hrs from Perth and there is nothing in between so best to drive straight thru.. no offence Gero / Dongera crew ha ha .

Plenty of powered sites at the caravan Park that time of year . no need to book... Chalets etc will already be taken.

I cant imagine the Sandy Bay getting crowed.. when we were there last year there would have been max a doz kiters in the water at a time..

Get on it peoples .. more the merrier !!

See you there Juicerider

fuall
WA, 372 posts
7 Jun 2014 6:48PM
Thumbs Up

As long as i get up and get some rail i'll be happy,i dare say i'll be doing a walk up the beach a few times!

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
7 Jun 2014 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Monkers said..

default said..

13 hrs from Perth and there is nothing in between so best to drive straight thru.. no offence Gero / Dongera crew ha ha .

Plenty of powered sites at the caravan Park that time of year . no need to book... Chalets etc will already be taken.

I cant imagine the Sandy Bay getting crowed.. when we were there last year there would have been max a doz kiters in the water at a time..

Get on it peoples .. more the merrier !!

See you there Juicerider

No imagination needed monkers 12 people at sandy bay IS crowded there is no need for more.
fuall there is also spots (boggy bay and graveyards) for all levels right across the road from Yardy homestead just not the flat water like sandy bay

Monkers
WA, 258 posts
10 Jun 2014 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Its all relative ...I'm used to 100 kiters out at Applecross .. 12 at Sandy Bay .. no probs

fuall
WA, 372 posts
10 Jun 2014 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

dont get me started with Applecross,its outta control.i try and get there before the crowds as i dont want to be the one who Fooks it up,.I'm usually the one launching and landing crew,gonna start charging soon Baahhahaaha

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
10 Jun 2014 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

sandy bay is unreal and a definite must for any kiter coming to Exmouth, however don't overlook the other less known spots that are probably heaps better for you to progress in. If you take the odd alternative right hand turn on your way to sandy bay you never know what you might find Give me a shout when your in town and I will draw you a map to help you on your way

fuall
WA, 372 posts
12 Jun 2014 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Roger that! i've assessed the map as well but local knowledge is King :)

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
16 Jun 2014 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Arrived in Exmouth one September bit late in the day and knackered from driving, but wind was blowing so straight out. First run nearly ran over two turtles mating(i moved downwind) saw dolphins and whales, what a s h i thole

Am going up this year in early August(family trip) i might be a bit early for the sea breeze but will pack the gear anyway in hope if i dont take it it will blow its tits off, its paradise, have fun.

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
16 Jun 2014 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hope I can get back there this year.......

Last time was in 2000 the year they put in the toll booths I think,
I did a few odd jobs at yardies and light house parks after cyclone Vance, where I sat it out in my hilux at lighthouse, fun times, bet its changed a bit hopefully for the better, love to take the wife to the old stomping ground, might see you there

LuigiKiter
WA, 184 posts
17 Jun 2014 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
the gibbo said...
Arrived in Exmouth one September bit late in the day and knackered from driving, but wind was blowing so straight out. First run nearly ran over two turtles mating(i moved downwind) saw dolphins and whales, what a s h i thole

Am going up this year in early August(family trip) i might be a bit early for the sea breeze but will pack the gear anyway in hope if i dont take it it will blow its tits off, its paradise, have fun.

let us know if you had any wind in this upcoming trip :)

LuigiKiter
WA, 184 posts
17 Jun 2014 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tgcp said...
sandy bay is unreal and a definite must for any kiter coming to Exmouth, however don't overlook the other less known spots that are probably heaps better for you to progress in. If you take the odd alternative right hand turn on your way to sandy bay you never know what you might find Give me a shout when your in town and I will draw you a map to help you on your way

If you don't mind I will ask for your recommendation of places near sandy bay.

Thanks.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
17 Jun 2014 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EternalNoob said...

If you don't mind I will ask for your recommendation of places near sandy bay.

Thanks.

No worries mate, drop me a pm

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
21 Aug 2014 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
EternalNoob said..

the gibbo said...

let us know if you had any wind in this upcoming trip :)

Got 2 good days out of 11, pretty happy didnt expect anything this time of year.
Mauds landing just north of Coral bay and Sandy Bay, awesome both on Northerlies. I suspect i could have got a bit more in on the NE wind on the east side of exmouth but busy with kids n wife so didnt look.
If you go up, look up Exmouth Kite Centre at Lighthouse Caravan park and some bloke called Turtle Hunter, message him on here for info, here runs a camper hire mob/kite shop in town.
Its an amazing place wind or not, loved it, will go back next year for sure.

diamond2001
WA, 429 posts
23 Aug 2014 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

Is there car hire at the Learmonth airport?

Kraut
VIC, 474 posts
24 Aug 2014 3:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
default said...

We stayed one night in Carnarvon mate with pretty sweet flat water kiting. If you are not too keen on hammering all the way through. We did not want to drive in the dark. Too much 2 and 4 legged traffic.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
25 Aug 2014 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jared888 said..
Hope I can get back there this year.......

Last time was in 2000 the year they put in the toll booths I think,
I did a few odd jobs at yardies and light house parks after cyclone Vance, where I sat it out in my hilux at lighthouse, fun times, bet its changed a bit hopefully for the better, love to take the wife to the old stomping ground, might see you there

you went through vance sitting in a car bugger that

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
25 Aug 2014 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diamond2001 said..
Is there car hire at the Learmonth airport?

all the main car hire companies have a desk at the airport but book before you go. If you want a camper you will need to catch the airport shuttle into town though.

diamond2001
WA, 429 posts
28 Aug 2014 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

Still can't see any sw wind at exmouth on sb .Anyone up there atm ?

TurtleHunter
WA, 1673 posts
28 Aug 2014 8:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
diamond2001 said..
Still can't see any sw wind at exmouth on sb .Anyone up there atm ?

yep still waiting

ExSurfCentre
WA, 405 posts
28 Aug 2014 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Saturday is the day, at least the swells been pumping.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Western Australia

"Exmouth in Oct" started by fuall