Jarkan 925,

Created by Newmo > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2017
Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
13 Nov 2017 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi team
I am finally the new owner of a 1986 Jarkan 925. "Sundowner"
I have been looking far and wide for a nice 30 footer and found this little beauty not too far from home.
She has been extensively cruised/lived aboard from Victoria to the top end on three occasions and cruised Tassie with her previous owners and was a regular bass strait cruiser. We are only the second owner of her and am over the moon to finally have her.
She is in amazing condition and now the process of clearing out a 30 year old time capsule begins, deciding what to keep and what to pitch out is going to take some time.
The first order of business is a re rig and a bum scrub and an antifoul plus about a million other things no doubt.
I no doubt will have a thousand questions coming up.
regards Scott

gyccrewman
QLD, 80 posts
13 Nov 2017 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Congratulations, i was hoping to post a similar post a few weeks ago but the 30 footer i had found did not have a good survey report and so the search continues.

Enjoy your new yacht and having a fiddle to make it yours.

aus005
TAS, 514 posts
13 Nov 2017 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Well done mate she looks great good boats those jarkans

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
13 Nov 2017 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Congrats on the purchase Capt_Newmo.

I see double spreader rig with fore and aft lowers and it looks like it would be 12 or 13 metres tall. Strong at the base and allows for plenty of sail to be hoisted. That is a full on rig for a 30 footer. I don't see running backstays nor inner forestay. Possibilities for the future.

A nice slotted pulpit to allow the genoa outside.

Nice clear fore deck with an anchor winch (electric, manual or both? ). Horn cleats either side and it looks like bow fairleads too. Fairly simple bow fitting with a good long strap going down the bow but I don't see any bow roller for anchor or mooring lines. Maybe she is a marina boat?

The furler looks like the same Furlex model I have just taken off my Lotus 9.2. If you need spare parts, let me know.

Quite a high cabin trunk she has which no doubt gives full head room below and a very good fore hatch.

I think you have bought yourself more than a hand ful of yacht there Scott. She is Bass Strait and Tassie proven so the boat is up to it. Are you??

That is a complex rig she has and if she is due for rerigging, make sure you attend to every detail and get it right. Everything perfect on the mast head, anti chafe on the spreader ends, no twists of halyards in the mast.

Take photos of everything before and after so you have a record for future reference. Alcohol dulls the memory.

Get one of these anchor/tri lights.

This is my little jigger.

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
14 Nov 2017 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Capt Newmo looks like a well sorted seaworthy boat

andy59
QLD, 1153 posts
14 Nov 2017 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

Congrats Capt Newmo looks like a well sorted seaworthy boat

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
26 Nov 2017 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Good evening
A Quick question if I may
My shrouds are attached by T-Balls to the mast and therefore have a stainless backing plate riveted to the inside of the mast. There is some minor surface corrosion as usual after 30 years around the fittings and the paint has fallen off as it does with stainless and aluminium contact.
What do I back the stainless plates with inside the mast? Butyl tape or Sika,
I will repaint and use monel rivets to reattach everything in due course.
Whats the best plan ?

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
26 Nov 2017 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

I have just put backing plates in and on one I used Sika and the other I used Butyl tape as I wasn't going have hands covered in Sika that you can't get off for nearly week again. The butyl is so nice and clean to use in comparison.

morningsun
178 posts
27 Nov 2017 8:29AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if this link has been posted here before. Great info on butyl tape here, its for re-bedding deck fittings, but other than cutting chamfers in your deck, you may find it interesting comparing different butyl tapes, and how to taper the tape around fastenings.
www.pbase.com:443/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware&page=2

Ramona
NSW, 7404 posts
27 Nov 2017 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

LooseChange said..
I have just put backing plates in and on one I used Sika and the other I used Butyl tape as I wasn't going have hands covered in Sika that you can't get off for nearly week again. The butyl is so nice and clean to use in comparison.

Mate has just used this stuff in thin sheet form to make gaskets for all the mast fittings on his alloy Cole. I've been using it in rod form to make pulleys and gears.

www.cammthane.com.au/products/nylon/
They are up in Albion Park.

Newmo
VIC, 471 posts
3 Dec 2017 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Howdy
I have just removed all the fittings from my boom. The screws that are threaded into the riv nuts have a blue sticky thread sealer on them. It appears to be amazing stuff as there is no corrosion and the screws all backed out easily although very tight. Does anyone know what that blue stuff might be or what I might use as a replacement.
Cheers

sirgallivant
NSW, 1529 posts
4 Dec 2017 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

This year the smallest yacht at the S/H is a Jarkan 9.25 'Gun. Runner' !

The rig and mast is similar to my Adams's which is a keel stepped Allmast kit mast.
Strong reliable thing, if rigging is is fresh it can take a lot of rough weather.
Leak is a problem though with those masts.

You got a very nice yacht for yourself.

Yara
NSW, 1250 posts
4 Dec 2017 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Capt_Newmo said..
Howdy
I have just removed all the fittings from my boom. The screws that are threaded into the riv nuts have a blue sticky thread sealer on them. It appears to be amazing stuff as there is no corrosion and the screws all backed out easily although very tight. Does anyone know what that blue stuff might be or what I might use as a replacement.
Cheers

It is probably one of the versions of Loctite. Consult their web site and you might get an idea of which version.

fishmonkey
NSW, 494 posts
4 Dec 2017 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Yara said..

Capt_Newmo said..
Howdy
Cheers

It is probably one of the versions of Loctite. Consult their web site and you might get an idea of which version.

here ya go:

www.henkel-adhesives.com/au/en/about/our-brands/loctite.html

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Jarkan 925," started by Newmo