Forums > Sailing General

Lady Musgrave and 1770 Bar

Created by flano Two weeks ago, 29 Jun 2020
flano
QLD, 109 posts
29 Jun 2020 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
I use to live in Tannum Sand and frquently kitesurfed and fished 1770. I moved away 8 years ago and am now returning and planning on taking a boat out to Lady Musgrave for an over night camp trip. Has there been any major changes to the bar at 1770 such as tide requirements on getting out?

japie
NSW, 5954 posts
30 Jun 2020 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

I know that in 2014 if you followed the markers it was a sure way to run aground. We made a few trips through the mouth and back and the only sure way of getting out without bumping the bottom was to follow the route which the Musgrave ferries used to take but that option is no longer available.

SV Wavesong
QLD, 68 posts
30 Jun 2020 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Contact Round Hill VMR for current information.
07 4974 9383

andycass
QLD, 83 posts
30 Jun 2020 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Aerial shot from May, Yes the bar has changed since you were here last. Now you head due south over the bar to the first set of marker boys. Depth will be probably around 0.5m less than the current tide. so if it was a high tide of 2.5m there should be 2m on the bar. There is a webcam showing the bar its on the GPC app. And as always log in with VMR and call us up for the latest info.

shaggybaxter
QLD, 2077 posts
30 Jun 2020 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

That's a great photo and explanation Andy.

flano
QLD, 109 posts
30 Jun 2020 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Great feedback guys

waikikin
NSW, 39 posts
30 Jun 2020 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Such a great spot. About 25 plus years since I've been there first time in was on dusk & back then the channel from memory was close to the bricks. Found a spot up a way and just backed up onto the sand(sailing cat) for a good nights sleep. just before had gone up a bit further & got turned back by an iso danger mark & not knowing what the go was/no local knowledge just took the easy option. I remember the shop well combo bottle/takeaway/supermarket with the shopkeeper in bikini on a sun lounge out the front. ... wondering how it's changed?
Jeff.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Lady Musgrave and 1770 Bar" started by flano