Forums > Sailing General

Lord Howe Island BBQ Rally 2018

Created by MorningBird A week ago, 13 Jan 2018
MorningBird
NSW, 1820 posts
13 Jan 2018 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

Well, I still have Morning Bird and she is offshore ready so I am intending to go to Lord Howe Island again in November for the BBQ Rally.

I didn't go in 2017 due to a lack of crew and other commitments just before the trip. This year, with less commitments to interfere but no definite crew, I am going to start looking at crewing options now.

If anybody in the Sydney area is interested in 4 days of getting hammered going out, 4 days of an idyllic location with other sailors and locals and 4 days of getting hammered coming home let me know.

You must have offshore passage experience, multi day coastal is ok, and be capable of:
- keeping watches on your own day and night, although all sail changes or major configuration changes are done two handed,
- going to the mast to reef the mainsail,
- knowing or learning how to use a Fleming and other bits of kit,
- cooking simple meals, and
- keeping calm when the inevitable happens.

A couple of workup sails before the trip will be needed. Costs of the trip are shared evenly. I will pay for MB's preparation.

This video, shot by DrRog in 2016, gives a pretty good picture of the adventure and conditions.

&t=1400s

Rog and I met through Seabreeze and did this trip after a couple of workup runs to Pittwater and back. We are now very good mates and I am hoping he can make it this year.

If interested just post back on this forum, or PM me.

cisco
QLD, 10270 posts
13 Jan 2018 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
If anybody in the Sydney area is interested in 4 days of getting hammered going out, 4 days of an idyllic location with other sailors and locals and 4 days of getting hammered coming home let me know.

Four days of bliss and eight days of hell doesn't sound very encouraging!!!!

My memory of the trip I did with you are better than that however I know you have had worse trips than that one. The worst thing for me was not having my clothes in a waterproof bag and having to dry them out before going ashore.

The thought has crossed my mind as to whether it would be viable to do the trip on Second Wind from Bundaberg. Direct from here, probably not, but sailng south to Coffs Harbour with a final provision there might be a doer. What think ye??

MorningBird
NSW, 1820 posts
13 Jan 2018 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

MorningBird said..

My memory of the trip I did with you are better than that however I know you have had worse trips than that one. The worst thing for me was not having my clothes in a waterproof bag and having to dry them out before going ashore.

The thought has crossed my mind as to whether it would be viable to do the trip on Second Wind from Bundaberg. Direct from here, probably not, but sailng south to Coffs Harbour with a final provision there might be a doer. What think ye??

Yeah, the eight days at sea is tough but not really hellish.

The trip we did was easier than the year before but because of the currents you and I ended up going nearly to Coffs before heading out. It was a long trip and we still didn't avoid the adverse current. MB has a better hatch seal now but you can't avoid getting wet out there, waterproof bags are essential.

I think the biggest shortcoming on our trip was the victualling. In 2016 we planned it much better with easy to prepare pastas and fresh veges like carrots, potato and peas.

I reckon Second Wind is up to it. I haven't seen her since our delivery to Bundy in 2014 but she is a well found vessel and I am sure she is even better now.

MB gets thrown around, the little Lotus would be airborne or playing submarines a lot of the time. I would want to have a furler with a headsail that could be furled down to stormsail size. The thought of old codgers going on the foredeck to change sails half a dozen times a day in SS5 and above gives me the shivers. Especially at 0300 after a sleepless 24 hours.

Bundy to Coffs is a long way. Maybe head out from the Gold Coast after a run down the Sandy Straits and inside Moreton/Straddy. It would be a long trip either way but it would be a great experience. Like me, you might find it difficult to get a crew committed to it.

samsturdy
NSW, 1017 posts
13 Jan 2018 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Ah MB..eight days of hell sounds like the sort of penance I need to pay, however, you can rule me
out...I haven't even got out of Pittwater yet.

Crusoe
QLD, 747 posts
13 Jan 2018 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

MorningBird said..

Yes. A friend and I did it on my Adams40 from the Gold Coast Seaway. We just waited as a weather system passed and started when the wind was in the north west. Left at sparrow fart one morning and had to slow down during third night so we would get the high tide at 7am on the next day. Didn't really push things and had the wind on the starboard beam for most of the way. No beating. Spent 10 days there and returned home when the weather was suitable for a good trip. Glad I did it. Another thing crossed off the bucket list.

PS. best if you can get a mooring in the Norther section of the lagoon. Need to book early.

cisco
QLD, 10270 posts
13 Jan 2018 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..
I reckon Second Wind is up to it. I haven't seen her since our delivery to Bundy in 2014 but she is a well found vessel and I am sure she is even better now.

She is looking more and more like a stripped out racer every day. Yesterday I chiselled out the last of that cardboard mdf sheeting that the last owner went to great trouble to install. I estimate it is about 100 kg I have taken out.

Chain plates refurbed with new bolts and resealed at the deck. New standing rigging up from 7 mm to 8 mm. All new running rigging with spectra main and primary jib halyards. Will be lifting all cabin top turning blocks, rope clutches and winches, sanding and painting the deck head and resealing and reseating the above fittings.

All new skin fittings installed, electric head to go in as well as LED cabin lights, radios, steaming nav lights, new Garmin chartplotter/fish finder, Raymarine i40 speed log and wiring to power them all up.

Still a ways to go.

As you mentioned, the right provisioning plan is very important. Keeping the crew happily fed in all conditions keeps the morale up where it needs to be.

As for elderly gentlemen going on the foredeck in the middle of the night, that is definitely not in my sailing strategy. I have a near new blade sail that will be on the forestay at night in anything over 15 knots with a down haul line rigged on it. I am confident she could carry this sail comfortably up to 35 knots.

Like most things worthy, you have to dream it before doing it.

MorningBird
NSW, 1820 posts
13 Jan 2018 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Crusoe said..

cisco said..

MorningBird said..

Yes. A friend and I did it on my Adams40 from the Gold Coast Seaway. We just waited as a weather system passed and started when the wind was in the north west. Left at sparrow fart one morning and had to slow down during third night so we would get the high tide at 7am on the next day. Didn't really push things and had the wind on the starboard beam for most of the way. No beating. Spent 10 days there and returned home when the weather was suitable for a good trip. Glad I did it. Another thing crossed off the bucket list.

PS. best if you can get a mooring in the Norther section of the lagoon. Need to book early.

Unfortunately all the North Passage moorings are already taken for boats over 1.8m draft. I have a Comets Hole one booked and am hoping for a cancellation to get into North Passage.

I had a week there with my wife in April last where we snorkelled in the lagoon around Comets. The best snorkelling I have experienced anywhere. This year if I am in Comets I plan to spend more time staying on the boat and snorkelling as much as I can from the inflatable. Probably stay ashore for the Monday and Tuesday nights, the BBQ being on the Tuesday.

Rather than leave as early as possible after the BBQ as I've done previously I am prepared to wait a bit for the right conditions. I don't want to risk it like we did departing LHI in 2016 into a strong SSW wind.

andy59
QLD, 989 posts
Saturday , 13 Jan 2018 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like a great opportunity for anyone wanting some offshore experience

andy59
QLD, 989 posts
Saturday , 13 Jan 2018 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

MorningBird said..

She is looking more and more like a stripped out racer every day. Yesterday I chiselled out the last of that cardboard mdf sheeting that the last owner went to great trouble to install. I estimate it is about 100 kg I have taken out.

Chain plates refurbed with new bolts and resealed at the deck. New standing rigging up from 7 mm to 8 mm. All new running rigging with spectra main and primary jib halyards. Will be lifting all cabin top turning blocks, rope clutches and winches, sanding and painting the deck head and resealing and reseating the above fittings.

All new skin fittings installed, electric head to go in as well as LED cabin lights, radios, steaming nav lights, new Garmin chartplotter/fish finder, Raymarine i40 speed log and wiring to power them all up.

Still a ways to go.

As you mentioned, the right provisioning plan is very important. Keeping the crew happily fed in all conditions keeps the morale up where it needs to be.

As for elderly gentlemen going on the foredeck in the middle of the night, that is definitely not in my sailing strategy. I have a near new blade sail that will be on the forestay at night in anything over 15 knots with a down haul line rigged on it. I am confident she could carry this sail comfortably up to 35 knots.

Like most things worthy, you have to dream it before doing it.

Sounds like she'll be ready for a big trip by then Cisco

MorningBird
NSW, 1820 posts
Saturday , 13 Jan 2018 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
andy59 said..

G'day Andy. Having gone previously with inexperienced crew I can only go with crew who know what they are doing. It would be good for someone with good coastal multi day passage experience to step up to a passage where you can't run for cover.

Madmouse
111 posts
Saturday , 13 Jan 2018 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

I sent an email

MorningBird
NSW, 1820 posts
Saturday , 13 Jan 2018 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Madmouse said..
I sent an email

Reply sent. Thank you.

andy59
QLD, 989 posts
Sunday , 14 Jan 2018 5:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MorningBird said..

andy59 said..

G'day Andy. Having gone previously with inexperienced crew I can only go with crew who know what they are doing. It would be good for someone with good coastal multi day passage experience to step up to a passage where you can't run for cover.

I hear you MB

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Lord Howe Island BBQ Rally 2018" started by MorningBird