Forums > Sailing General

Outboard for racing boat (1600KG)

Created by Bundeenabuoy > 9 months ago, 24 May 2018
Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1239 posts
24 May 2018 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

I am looking for the lightest motor that will get me to the line.
I am thinking around 4 to 6 horsepower.
Any ideas?

Yara
NSW, 1250 posts
24 May 2018 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

It is not so much the mass of the boat, but the windage of the hull. High freeboard, cabin, 20 knots breeze, and you are going to need something like 6hp high thrust prop. Low freeboard, low cabin, 10 knots breeze, and a Honda 2.3 would do it.

rumblefish
TAS, 824 posts
24 May 2018 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

We had a 3.3hp on a Shaw 650 which is a fair bit lighter but have seen them on T7 's work for flat water.
I also used a 4hp on an Etchells, was fine in flat water and did about 5.5 knots flat out .

Planeray
NSW, 208 posts
24 May 2018 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 5hp on my Soling, one of the guys at the club has a 3.5 on his. To be honest, mine is probably a little overkill, though it'll punch into 30kts of wind and still keep it moving. Otherwise, it'll get it to hull speed with at least another 25% throttle to spare. Hull weight is 1035 apparently. Add on the rig and a bunch of garbage and I'd probably be somewhat near the 1600kg range.

The main reason I picked it was that the smallest engine you could get with a proper reverse gear was 4hp, but the 5 is exactly the same engine with different tuning (so same weight and everything). Other advantage is that you can hook up an external fuel tank as well as the internal, which is a nice little feature.

dralyagmas
SA, 380 posts
24 May 2018 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

I used to have a 4hp on my old Elliot 780. Worked fine particularly if you chuck a sail up as well.

30 knot headwind would be slow going but make sure you have some beer and no worries

Windancer
QLD, 106 posts
24 May 2018 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

In Qld if you have over 4 hp as a motor you have to have the boat registered and a boat license. Not 100% sure but that was the reason why I kept my outboard to a 4 hp. Not sure about the laws in other states.It also has a reverse gear and as mentioned in an earlier post above... this is the lowest hp motor that has a reverse gear which is really handy if your coming in too hot on a mooring or pier. Which all of us here have experienced I'm sure. I also kept it as a 2 stroke for lightness on the transom of the Dart. I would have bought a much lighter motor like a 2 to 3.2 hp if I could if they had a reverse gear.This out weighed the weight (excuse the pun) The lighter the better on the transom. If you can get in behind and re-enforce the transom it may be well to do so. Otherwise you will over time notice gel coat cracks on the transom which may lead to other things.

Jode5
QLD, 853 posts
24 May 2018 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

I was at the Sanctuary Cove Boat show today and there was a number of light weight electric motors. I saw one on a Far East 28. Worth a look at.

Planeray
NSW, 208 posts
26 May 2018 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh, no hp restriction in NSW - it's based on speed (10 knots off the top of my head).

I also looked into the Torqueedo electric. Weight is amazing, from what I've heard, equivalent to 3.5 hp power, but price is a doozy - $3000 ish. For that price, you could buy three normal outboards.

Bananabender
QLD, 1540 posts
26 May 2018 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Suzuki claim to have the lightest 4 strokes . 6 hp 23 kgs.

Dont forget no more new 2's coming from 30/6 . Already limited stocks .

Bananabender
QLD, 1540 posts
26 May 2018 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Suzuki claim lightest 4 strokes 23 kgs for 6 hp. Offering discount at Sanctuary Cove Boat Show.
Dont forget no more twos coming in from 30/6

Insomniac
NSW, 19 posts
26 May 2018 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everyone Tohatsu have a 3.5hp weighing in at 13kgs.

Thinking of getting one for a my Folkboat. It has a well, but I put a bracket on the back and am powered by a 9.8hp....powers along nicely. Thinking of getting the short shaft 3.5hp for an inflatable and using it (if ever required) as a backup in the well. Curios to see how effective it might be...but how do you pulll start these things when they are in a well in a lazarette??

Bundeenabuoy
NSW, 1239 posts
19 Jun 2018 7:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
Thanks to all who helped me make my decision.
I bought a new 4hp Tohatsu with forward, neutral and reverse weighing 20 kg.
I went out on the harbour motoring with six on board for Vivid. Happy with it.
Raced on Sunday and it seems fine in 15 to 20 knots.
Over that, I used the head sail (20-25kts) to get back to the berth.
It may be more difficult motoring to a mooring in that sort of wind.

w8ingforwind
QLD, 258 posts
24 Jun 2018 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Jode5 said..
I was at the Sanctuary Cove Boat show today and there was a number of light weight electric motors. I saw one on a Far East 28. Worth a look at.

Could you drive them with a cordless drill battery to really keep the W8 down

UncleBob
NSW, 1200 posts
24 Jun 2018 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Planeray said..
Yeh, no hp restriction in NSW - it's based on speed (10 knots off the top of my head).

I also looked into the Torqueedo electric. Weight is amazing, from what I've heard, equivalent to 3.5 hp power, but price is a doozy - $3000 ish. For that price, you could buy three normal outboards.

Actually incorrect, any boat with an engine exceeding 4 kilowatts (5 hp) requires registration in NSW.

LooseChange
NSW, 2140 posts
25 Jun 2018 11:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
UncleBob said..

Planeray said..

Actually incorrect, any boat with an engine exceeding 4 kilowatts (5 hp) requires registration in NSW.

UncleBob is correct, the 10 knot thing is for licensing purposes ...

"The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether you need a licence. Anyone who is the operator of a power-driven vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters, at a speed of 10 knots (approximately 18.5km/h) or more must have a general boat driving licence"

"The following vessels must be registered with Roads and Maritime when occupying NSW navigable waters:Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5 horsepower)"

Planeray
NSW, 208 posts
25 Jun 2018 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LooseChange said..

UncleBob said..

Planeray said..

UncleBob is correct, the 10 knot thing is for licensing purposes ...

"The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether you need a licence. Anyone who is the operator of a power-driven vessel operating recreationally on NSW waters, at a speed of 10 knots (approximately 18.5km/h) or more must have a general boat driving licence"

"The following vessels must be registered with Roads and Maritime when occupying NSW navigable waters:Power-driven vessels that are powered by an engine with a power rating of 4.0 kilowatts or more (greater than 5 horsepower)"

Yeh, no dramas - I was only referring to the licence component originally - didn't even think about registration.

Subscribe

Forums > Sailing General

"Outboard for racing boat (1600KG)" started by Bundeenabuoy