Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

2018 Naish Hover crossover 120 / 2018 Naish thrust surf foil large

Created by Camarillo 25 days ago, 26 Oct 2018
Camarillo
46 posts
26 Oct 2018 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

I tried to resist but I might want to give foiling a try..

I can get a 2018 Naish Hover crossover 120 and a 2018 Naish thrust surf foil large for a good price, brandnew.

Is this the way to go? Or should I spend some more and get the latest and greatest?

I weigh 86 kg/190 lbs and paddle on a carbon Starboard Hypernut 7'2 x 28 105 liter and my sessions are too short when it is choppy...

The Hover is quite a bit heavier than my Hypernut and maybe the foil is also a bit heavier than newer ones..

Should I go for it or get at dedicated foilsup like the Jimmy Lewis Flying V and the latest foil?

stevet73
NSW, 113 posts
26 Oct 2018 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

If its any help, I have a hypernut 7"8 retrofitted and it's been a fun learning experience. I don't plan to upgrade.....but ive never tried a foil specific sup...

Camarillo
46 posts
26 Oct 2018 7:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stevet73 said..
If its any help, I have a hypernut 7"8 retrofitted and it's been a fun learning experience. I don't plan to upgrade.....but ive never tried a foil specific sup...

Thanks , I am not going to have my hypernut retrofitted, I love it to much the way it is...

I just wonder if a 10 kg ??board will be nice for sup(foil)ing and how good or bad a 2018 Naish foil is compared with the 2019 stuff.
I am very spoiled with my 6 kg hypernut...

btw I windsurf so that is a bonus...

And I am looking forward to a fun learning experience!

kitenow
NSW, 25 posts
27 Oct 2018 7:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stevet73 said..

Like it, this is exactly what a forum should be about. Idea's about recycling exsisting equipment.
Until, with time there ability matches there final investment choices

colas
2799 posts
27 Oct 2018 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..
I just wonder if a 10 kg ??board will be nice for sup(foil)ing and how good or bad a 2018 Naish foil is compared with the 2019 stuff.

10kg is OK to learn on.

You will upgrade your foil gear anyways in some months, once you get past the learning phases. Plus used foil gear will resell well, and available gear will be better and cheaper then.

Mwstard
24 posts
5 Nov 2018 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

FWIW I went through a similar thought process and ended up converting a Hokua. Works fine, but the conversion, though strong added a load of weight to the board. If I breach or catch a rail on this board I'm 9/10 taking a dive.

Having been using a dedicated foil board, the balance/ paddling position is just right, so paddling into the wave in foiling stance is loads easier, the take off is smoother and so I stand a fighting chance of making a 1/2 decent flight. On the dedicated foil board, breaching is recoverable and happens less (maybe because my feet are better positioned.

If I had my time again I wouldn't bother converting a board (unless it could be done really cheaply easily / was the only option).

Camarillo
46 posts
8 Nov 2018 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mwstard said..
FWIW I went through a similar thought process and ended up converting a Hokua. Works fine, but the conversion, though strong added a load of weight to the board. If I breach or catch a rail on this board I'm 9/10 taking a dive.

Having been using a dedicated foil board, the balance/ paddling position is just right, so paddling into the wave in foiling stance is loads easier, the take off is smoother and so I stand a fighting chance of making a 1/2 decent flight. On the dedicated foil board, breaching is recoverable and happens less (maybe because my feet are better positioned.

If I had my time again I wouldn't bother converting a board (unless it could be done really cheaply easily / was the only option).

I am not planning to convert a board, I am considering a convertible board, perhaps even worse because it is also made for windsurfing!
I would prefer to have a dedicated sup to foil but not much is available right now where I live..

And it seems to me that a foilsup for me should't be much bigger than the board I sup on now a Hypernut 7'2x28 105 liter.
Perhaps a little bit bigger for learning ?

What dedicated foilsup are you using?

paul.j
QLD, 2711 posts
9 Nov 2018 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..

Mwstard said..

I am not planning to convert a board, I am considering a convertible board, perhaps even worse because it is also made for windsurfing!
I would prefer to have a dedicated sup to foil but not much is available right now where I live..

And it seems to me that a foilsup for me should't be much bigger than the board I sup on now a Hypernut 7'2x28 105 liter.
Perhaps a little bit bigger for learning ?

What dedicated foilsup are you using?

Not sure where you are but maybe look at something like the ONE 6'8 x 28 x 108L and in full PVC full carbon weigh only about 7kg, this is the 6'1 version in this vid and these do pretty much everything. Or check them out on www.onestanduppaddle.com

JB
NSW, 1904 posts
Site Sponsor
10 Nov 2018 5:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..

stevet73 said..

Thanks , I am not going to have my hypernut retrofitted, I love it to much the way it is...

btw I windsurf so that is a bonus...

And I am looking forward to a fun learning experience!

This is a 10kg (approx.) Hover 120 from 2018. Surf's great in my opinion.

The 2018 Medium and Large wings are the same, 2019 is just lighter. This video is on a 2018.

Ride safe,

JB

stevet73
NSW, 113 posts
10 Nov 2018 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Geez.... that wave pretty much never broke!

Camarillo
46 posts
Friday , 16 Nov 2018 2:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

JB said..

The 2018 Medium and Large wings are the same, 2019 is just lighter. This video is on a 2018.

Ride safe,

JB

I suppose the 2019 Hover is not much lighter then the 2018
Did you also use it as a normal sup?
It would be a nice bonus to travel with a single board and leave my Hypernut 7'2 (which is to small for me when it is choppy) at home.

barney64
QLD, 14 posts
Saturday , 17 Nov 2018 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Camarillo said..

JB said..

Ride safe,

JB

I suppose the 2019 Hover is not much lighter then the 2018
Did you also use it as a normal sup?
It would be a nice bonus to travel with a single board and leave my Hypernut 7'2 (which is to small for me when it is choppy) at home.

Go for it ,one advantage is that you can surf the hover if you don't decide to foil.They actually surf quite well ver similar to a hyper nut ,but just one thing get a large surf foil as i found they are more stable than the medium. I,m still in the learning phase but i found a massive difference in stability changing to a large foil and i,m only 65 kilos

Jeroensurf
378 posts
Today , 20 Nov 2018 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

Update:I Suped the board with just fins (no foil) in just too much wind and chop but neverheless nice chesthigh waves.For my 94kg+ 5/4mm wetsuit is it a bit tippy board, but on a wave...love it! Don,t know how they did it but the thing picks up waves relatively easy for it size and is a lively turny little bugger that loves to kick the tail around.When i saw the board and its dimensions i was already epecting that it would be a fun board, but thats almost offending because it is in slower not too big waves f****ing briliant.Next time i,m gonna sup-foil it!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle Foiling

"2018 Naish Hover crossover 120 / 2018 Naish thrust surf foil large" started by Camarillo