Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 Fanatic allwave 8'6"

Created by Kiwidoc > 9 months ago, 2 May 2013
Kiwidoc
13 posts
2 May 2013 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

This has been my 1st summer SUPing. Bought a Naish Mana 10' 3 months ago and already it feels too big. I'm 183cm, 77kg. Things I like about the Mana, it's really stable and so easy to catch even the smallest wave. I love how I can walk forward and hang 5 on small waves. Things I don't like, it feels too big, I'm light and I nearly fall off the rail trying to maneuver the thing. I want to progress, I want something that is relatively stable, easier to turn (don't think I'm into any dramatic cut backs yet but want to have some fun). I still want to be able to catch a wave relatively early, move around a bit and turn the thing. I'm not into flat water paddling, I just want to surf and I want to progress to bigger waves and really have some fun.

I've looked at Luke Short Design 9'2" or 9'6" or 8' 6" Fish, a Mana 8'10" and Fanatic Allwave 8'6". I'm leaning towards the Allwave 8'6". I don't really have an opportunity to demo boards as nearest retailer is miles away...so I'd appreciate advice prior to my purchase. Has any one got some advice that I may find helpful. Cheers, Dean

robbo1111
NSW, 620 posts
2 May 2013 3:43PM
Thumbs Up

I'm no expect but I have ridden the Allwave a bit and at 70kgs I find it way too big now. Originally I thought it was great compared to my Starboard Hero, but lately I've ridden the 8'2" Tabou (same volume as Allwave) and its in a whole different league in terms of manouverability on the wave.
I still havent purchased a small board but Im now thinking 115 to 120 litres, maybe a JL Kwad or Quatro - will test both in Maui in a couple of weeks.

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
2 May 2013 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Agree - an 8'6 allwave will be too big for you at your weight soon. I started in November last year and weigh around 96kg.. Im now on a 130l board. you should be fine on a sub 120l board in time.. if you can hang onto your big board and get a smaller board that you can learn on, then flick the big one after 6 months..

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 Fanatic allwave 8'6"" started by Kiwidoc