Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 Waterborn Evoke 7'11, any body used one???

Created by yt04 > 9 months ago, 22 Oct 2014
yt04
QLD, 381 posts
22 Oct 2014 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hello All,
I'm chasing a new board as I want to improve my surfing and seeking some advice. I've been supping for a couple of years and love it but previously surfed non stop from a young kid to late 20's until family and mortgage came along and now middle age. I am currently using a 2013 9'x 30" atlantis vex profusion and love it but was thinking of going to the waterborn evoke 7'11 x32" in brushed carbon sold by the surfboard warehouse as it is only 5 litres difference in float but would be great in the surf to throw around.

Any advice would be great as I would love to hear the good / bad before I drop and $$.

Cheers
Whitey

LordKuz
NSW, 260 posts
18 Dec 2014 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
yt04 said..
Hello All,
I'm chasing a new board as I want to improve my surfing and seeking some advice. I've been supping for a couple of years and love it but previously surfed non stop from a young kid to late 20's until family and mortgage came along and now middle age. I am currently using a 2013 9'x 30" atlantis vex profusion and love it but was thinking of going to the waterborn evoke 7'11 x32" in brushed carbon sold by the surfboard warehouse as it is only 5 litres difference in float but would be great in the surf to throw around.

Any advice would be great as I would love to hear the good / bad before I drop and $$.

Cheers
Whitey

I see you got flooded with answer here! ha ha.... Well, I was just having a look at this exact board in the surf today... had to look it up, as the guy who was on it seemed to be really throwing it around and I thought it must be some fancy model with a hefty pricetag. I see that it retails anywhere from $850 upwards for the carbon model. So.. yeah.... whats the deal with them, anyone? I am pretty sus about any sups in this price bracket though - now wishing Id spoken to the guy I saw, about his ride.

bourne4022
QLD, 35 posts
18 Dec 2014 2:39PM
Thumbs Up

A friend of mine has one of them except not in the carbon he's only had it a few months says it is sweet and cheep but seams to be doing the job.

laceys lane
QLD, 18443 posts
18 Dec 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

friend of mine rode his straight into the rocks at Currumbin doing massive front side punts . not one ding.

I want one. I wonder where you can get them from?

Loz79
QLD, 457 posts
18 Dec 2014 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

My farther in law just got a 10'6 x 32 waterborn evoke in brushed carbon for under $900 from surfboard warehouse. it looks great for the $... My first board was a 10'5 waterborn convertible, cost $850, been treated badly by the kids but is still in top nick

Lukasz
NSW, 9 posts
19 Dec 2014 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi YT04

I have a Waterborn Illusion - a big board 10'6 with lots of litre's!
It was my first board, purchased from the Surfboard Warehouse at Miami.

Very happy with it, was great to learn on, and I still ride it often.In regards to build quality, this board is great! It is very strong, been treated well, but a lot of friends and family have learnt on it, and it has been handled by others (which arent as careful as I am)

The only negative to this great value board, is it is bloody heavy!!! a problem the smaller 'carbon' evoke wont have.

Overall happy

yt04
QLD, 381 posts
24 Jan 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

G'day all again, thanks for the replies gents and I have an update. I ended up buying a 7'11 evoke but in the bamboo. The store had a second which was an unwanted prize that they bought back and I got it for a great price and couldn't say no (thanks Mooloolaba boys!!). I'm stoked with it and it turns like a short board, no **!!! Stable as in the surf with the 32" width and I've had it 1' slop to 6' charging and it's great. I realise they are probably mass produced in China but when I destroy it I'll get another and will still probably still be ahead on the $$. Just another point, I'm not sold on the carbon. I held the bamboo and the carbon in each hand and I thought they were the same weight. One of the guys in the store reckoned the carbon was heavier. Definately not worth the extra $$ I reckon. Cheers Whitey (yt04).

TimBurleigh
QLD, 112 posts
6 Feb 2015 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback guys. Stoked you enjoy my little waterborn design. I am 6'2 and weigh 90kgs. I usually ride an 8'6 Atlantis Vex but today the wind was 15 - 20 knots cross shore and everything looked hard. The width through the Evoke made it the perfect choice while still keeping the size down. Instead of my usual 7'11 Evoke I tried a new prototype 8'10 PVC Carbon which was even more stable in the small tricky conditions. Not the best surfing of mine but I thought I would post a few screen grabs that came out alright.
Thanks again for everyones support and sharing their stoke.
Tim Beban

downsouthSUP
WA, 5 posts
26 Apr 2015 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Tim,
after a couple of emails from Mitchel in one of your stores, my mouse is hovering over the purchase button on a 9'4 evoke.....
am just a bit hesitant, as have only seen one over here (WA)
coming off 11' with 190 litres, do you reckon will still float me OK (6' and 92 kgs) for between sets, and a little bit of flat water. (some breaks up north in WA are approx. 1km paddle out)
also would you have some pics from side on, just want to get better idea of rocker.
appreciate your help
Ross

yt04
QLD, 381 posts
26 Apr 2015 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Ross, I've since upgraded my 7'11 bamboo to a carbon in the same size and highly recommend them. I'm only 5'9 but hover around 93-94kgs and ever hopeful to get back into the 80's but I like food too much. It floats my fine and I have no dramas paddling out or catching waves. Turns great like a short board when you get your rear foot back on the tail. I've had in 1 foot slush to about 6' walls and had no dramas at all and currently set up as a quad. Give it a go and you could drop down to 7'11 as your lighter than me and may take a couple of sessions to tune in. If not definately go the next size up and not larger as you'll lose the short board abilities. Any q's just drop me a line. Cheers Whitey

tuyen
WA, 2 posts
27 Apr 2015 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
downsouthSUP said..
Hi Tim,
after a couple of emails from Mitchel in one of your stores, my mouse is hovering over the purchase button on a 9'4 evoke.....
am just a bit hesitant, as have only seen one over here (WA)
coming off 11' with 190 litres, do you reckon will still float me OK (6' and 92 kgs) for between sets, and a little bit of flat water. (some breaks up north in WA are approx. 1km paddle out)
also would you have some pics from side on, just want to get better idea of rocker.
appreciate your help
Ross

Hi Ross,

I've just recently "downsized" from an 11' x 33" 190L to the Waterborn 8'10" x 32" 148L Evoke (Carbon). I've only had the board for a couple weeks now so I'm still "adjusting" to the big step down in size. I'm 5'8" and ashamedly 110kg :-(

I'm quite comfortable paddling around on the Swan River, but things get a lot more challenging as soon as I take it out on the ocean. At this stage, I'm chalking this up to the "getting to know your board" stage, finding the sweet spot to stand, adjusting paddling technique etc. In hindsight, I probably should have gone one size up for the 9'4" 160L which may have made my transitioning down an easier process for my weight. But what this has enabled me to focus on is crucial foot placement and learning the C-Stroke. Still having fun, just working a lot harder and getting a lot wetter ;-)

I've only just started paddling this year (Feb) so I'm nowhere near qualified to provide advice other than from my experiences to date. But I'm thinking at your weight you'll be fine on either the 8'10" or 9'4" after the initial adjustment period. Here are a couple of photos just after the nervous unwrapping of the the box. I must admit, it was VERY well packaged and for extra measure I ordered a cover at the same time - my thanks to Tim and the guys at TSW.

If you do or have already pushed that purchase button, my advice before you take it out in the water is to check that the Gore-tex valve is correctly seated and working properly. I stupidly made the assumption being a Gore-tex valve I wouldn't need to touch it. Whilst I was washing down the board I noticed that a little pool of water around the recess of the valve was disappearing whilst on a flat surface. So I investigated further and found a little excess plastic around the valve recess which I removed and made sure the seat was nice and clean for the valve and O-ring seal to sit flush against when screwed down. You'll need a 16mm socket and finger tight will be enough for the O-ring seal and Gore-tex membrane to do it's job. Since I did this, it's no longer taking in water and on occasion I can see bubbles emanating from the valve whist out paddling.

Hope this is has provided some help and I look forward to sharing the joy of being out there on the water with you guys.

Tuyen

downsouthSUP
WA, 5 posts
27 Apr 2015 12:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi and Thanks to all for feedback,
ready to push the button.....hey whitey where'd the option for bamboo go from drop down box on website?

also, could you ask freight guys if we could save some $'s with perth depot collection?

cheers ross

pueter66
QLD, 205 posts
27 Apr 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi i purchased a 9 and a 10 from the surfboard warehouse on the goldcoast i couldnt be happier it has been up and down the east coast now for a couple of months and i have used in surf and flat with the quad fin setup, loving it

yt04
QLD, 381 posts
27 Apr 2015 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

Ross, good question mate but sorry I can't answer it. I'm just a happy customer of surfboard warehouse and don't work there. Try dropping Timburleigh or Jarrodsw a pm as they both work there and can probably help with both questions. If you have the $$ the carbon is great. I find it feels a lot stronger and stiffer than the bamboo and very happy with mine. Cheers whitey

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 Waterborn Evoke 7'11, any body used one???" started by yt04