Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2017 Starboard Pro 9' x 29" Carbon - Big Blokes experiences please

Created by mybrosweeper > 9 months ago, 25 May 2017
mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
25 May 2017 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Your experience in different conditions,pro's & con's, your weight and level of happiness please?
Sponsored riders opinions are welcomed and valued!!

Old crumpet
TAS, 6 posts
26 May 2017 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, I have recently got a 8'5 pro. I cant comment on the 9'0 but can give a little feedback on my 8'5. I'm 92kg in my birthday suit, so actually over the limit they recommend for this board especially with wetsuit etc. It is sunk in the water(top of ankles) but on calm/clean days its fine to use. Onshore messy days is a lot more of a challenge, few falls and a lot of energy as need to keep paddling around. messy days I cant just stand there in the one spot.
I really only got it for the cleaner days as I have a hypernut I use a lot of the time due to more onshore surf we get in my region.
My pro is carbon , very strong and surfs unreal(for my limited ability).I had it in some decent size clean waves and its a blast to surf, but very different to my hypernut.
I have thought at times I should have got the 9'0 for the extra 16L of volume to make the not so clean/onshore days a bit easier, but think I made the correct decision with 8'5. If I didn't have the hypernut I would have chose the 9'0 instead of the 8'5 though.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
26 May 2017 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

One of the boards I ride is the 8'10" Sunova Acid, 115ltrs and I'm 185cms and 101kgs (dry - no wettie). Incredible (Level of happiness = 11/10) in the right conditions and a challenge in the bumpy conditions.

A key driver will be your skill level and if you like constantly paddling

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
26 May 2017 3:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Old crumpet said..
Hi, I have recently got a 8'5 pro. I cant comment on the 9'0 but can give a little feedback on my 8'5. I'm 92kg in my birthday suit, so actually over the limit they recommend for this board especially with wetsuit etc. It is sunk in the water(top of ankles) but on calm/clean days its fine to use. Onshore messy days is a lot more of a challenge, few falls and a lot of energy as need to keep paddling around. messy days I cant just stand there in the one spot.
I really only got it for the cleaner days as I have a hypernut I use a lot of the time due to more onshore surf we get in my region.
My pro is carbon , very strong and surfs unreal(for my limited ability).I had it in some decent size clean waves and its a blast to surf, but very different to my hypernut.
I have thought at times I should have got the 9'0 for the extra 16L of volume to make the not so clean/onshore days a bit easier, but think I made the correct decision with 8'5. If I didn't have the hypernut I would have chose the 9'0 instead of the 8'5 though.

Thanks Crumpet, Ive had quite a few starboards (all carbons) and currently on a 88 widepoint airborne 123lts Im 100kgs. Great board in small stuff but to wide in the tail for serious stuff.
Appreciate your thoughts and time

Jeroensurf
866 posts
28 May 2017 4:23AM
Thumbs Up

I,m 92kg and have the AB 8.8 as everyday board (aka serious crappy conditions with windwaves and no period at all). For the clean (holiday) days with Ocean swell I have the 2015 8.5Pro that has a tad more volume as the 2017 (both are carbon).When its clean the board is awesome, in less perfect conditions it is more struggle as fun.Basically, when waves become too fast for the A.B8.8 the 8.5 start to shine and when it is too choppy for the 8.5 the AB is perfect.
Before I got these 2 babies I got the 2014 9.0Pro. That bit more length and volume made a huge difference. The old 9.0 (118l) I could use as a single board, and after 2y I,m still in doubt if the 9.0 wasnt the better board for me over the 8.5 with 112l . With the bit more volume, compensating your extra volume , And the AB for when the waves are slow/low or soft I would say it might be a mix made in heaven.

Jeroensurf
866 posts
28 May 2017 4:26AM
Thumbs Up

PS:Try the 8.8 in a thruster set-up when the waves are bigger and faster. I love as a Quad in crappy waves but was really surprised how much better it was at high speed as a tri!

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
29 May 2017 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for your input Jeroen. Yeah I have the 88 set up as a thruster. I too found it way better in most conditions but I set it up as a quad if its dribble with 2x knubsters in the back.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
29 May 2017 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mybrosweeper said..

Old crumpet said..

Thanks Crumpet, Ive had quite a few starboards (all carbons) and currently on a 88 widepoint airborne 123lts Im 100kgs. Great board in small stuff but to wide in the tail for serious stuff.
Appreciate your thoughts and time

MBS - I have the 8'8" Airborne (and too many other boards as well :-)) - I've kept it in quad setup and I have had it out in double over head and it smokes. I'm 101kgs and 185cm

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
30 May 2017 8:32AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks smash 1, yeah i rode the 88 as a quad for a while before i went to thruster. I just found it tightened my turns up especially overhead backhand
I am now fixated on the Infinity B - lines...........choices choices

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
30 May 2017 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mybrosweeper said..
Thanks smash 1, yeah i rode the 88 as a quad for a while before i went to thruster. I just found it tightened my turns up especially overhead backhand
I am now fixated on the Infinity B - lines...........choices choices

I have not used the 8'8" for a long time now as I'm addicted to the Acid and my noserider

fm1
WA, 57 posts
1 Jun 2017 11:04AM
Thumbs Up

the board hasn't changed since 2015 model reviewed here - good board for bigger guys for sure - www.supboardermag.com/2014/12/10/2015-starboard-pro-90-x-29-review/

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
1 Jun 2017 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fm1 said..
the board hasn't changed since 2015 model reviewed here - good board for bigger guys for sure - www.supboardermag.com/2014/12/10/2015-starboard-pro-90-x-29-review/

Cheers for that fm1.....good read and food for thought...much appreciated

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
1 Jun 2017 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

I had the 2014(I think??) and found it a great board to surf, but a bit twitchy to stand on in the lineup. felt very narrow under foot. I prefer and extra inch width for a 9'0"

marco gribi
WA, 195 posts
1 Jun 2017 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fm1 said..

Actually the 9'0 x 29 did change in 2016, volume increased to 128L from the 118L in the review.

Nose and tail has been pulled in a little more but the main thing was thinning out the rails for better rail to rail transition.
Some of the changes made in the 2016 9'0 then filtered down to the current 2017 Pro range while the 9'0 did not change in 2017.

Cheers,
Marco

PaddleOn
22 posts
6 Jun 2017 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

I have been on an mission this year and bought the 2017 9.0 XL and 8.5 pro. i started the year at 98kg and am about 90kg now. it took me 2-3 weeks of plop, plop, fizz, fizz on the 9.0, going down from jimmy lewis stun gun 9.7 x 31.5' wide to 9.0 x 27" wide was a big step for me. now after 3 months i can take it out and relax in all conditions. the board butters through water with super smooth rail to rail. it is fast and can pump really well and especially likes to pivot around the paddle. i was surprised that i can catch small knee highs without too much work and of course it handles size well. i have been riding it as a quad when the waves are smaller and thruster to make it tighter turn on larger days. the main thing is to get my foot back on the kick pad and it moves. 6 weeks ago i snagged a carbon 8.5 pro and couldn't even stand on it for more than 12 seconds at a time my first time out, but i hung in there. now i can hang out and snag waves no problem on calmer days. on choppy, windy days i have to keep paddling, but am getting it dialed. where the 9.0 butters through the water, the 8.5 slices and turns. i am only just starting to understand the 8.5, swapping a few different fin set-ups still. if the waves are waist and bigger i take the 8.5 unless it is really soupy. my weight is heading down, my goal is 87kg. i might sell the 9.0 XL pro and get the 9.0 pro later down the road. and.........of course.......i am dreaming of the 8.0 pro................

i love the fcsII fin boxes. i put the fins in and take them out each time. i like being able to adjust the rear fin on the water, move it back a bit if the waves are small or forward if i want it a bit snappier. i hit a reef when in costa rica 2 weeks ago and instead of blowing out the fin box, the fin broke off. also2 days ago when a kook ran into my board with his head, he got a small cut instead of needing stitches (he knock the fin out and it sunk......). at least it is easy to buy a replacement fin. the only caution it i have noticed that i sometimes do get the fin all the way seated and it may fall out.

i am a big fan of starboard and this is my first season really getting into performance boards so no other brands for comparison.

mybrosweeper
NSW, 1016 posts
6 Jun 2017 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to feed back in this way. Heaps to consider now. For me living regional limits the availability to test riding boards, which is a bummer.
I have to say it again, really interested in the infinity B-Line....... they look like they surf SICK!!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2017 Starboard Pro 9' x 29" Carbon - Big Blokes experiences please" started by mybrosweeper